“Great Location”
Review of Cusco Plaza

Cusco Plaza
Ranked #106 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed here before and after our Gap Adventures tour of the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu. The main plaza with all the best restaurants and things to see is literally a couple of minutes walk away. The roof in the communal areas did leak a bit with heavy rain so was a bit slippy in places. Overall would definitely recommend if you want a bit of luxury but a reasonable price after the gruelling Inca Trail!

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Was clean and had hot showers. The wifi was free but only works in the main foyer area. Free tea and coffee all day and breakfast was pretty dceent. You can also order eggs. Great location as was two blocks from the main square. They were a bit disorganised with regards to luggage storgae and i had to go hunting for my bag in the luggage room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. Serves the purpose as a place to sleep but not much else. It does have a little charm but nothing fancy here. Just a 2 minute walk to the main square and immediately in the area of many shops, restaurants, attractions. I stayed in two different rooms. TV, no fridge and I didn't have problem with hot water. The rooms located in or near the lobby will have access to free WIFI but all other rooms don't. You can hear everything through the walls and door but didn't bother me much. People staying here are travellers so it's still pretty quiet at night. Included buffet breakfast is poor. Cereals/bread, ham and cheese slices. You can order two eggs every morning. If you want to eat a serious breakfast, look up Jack's Café! For an awesome dinner you have to go to Marcelo Batata! Best meal I had in years!!!!!

This hotel was included as part of a package so I don't know what the cost was for a night. I say if you get a good price, it's a good place to stay.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BeenThere01
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Good location, but everything else is horrible. NOT recommended. No hot water and VERY noisy. When we returned from the Inca Trail our backpack, which was stored in the storage room, was soaked.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is a conveniently located, clean budget hotel. Be warned though that it can be noisy due to some rooms being arranged as if in a prison hall!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I spent 4 days in Cusco before taking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, and I stayed at the Cusco Plaza II. The best part of the hotel is the location--it's very close to the main plaza, which is a big deal when you're a solo female traveling on foot. It is a very basic hotel, but I found it be quite clean and in relatively good repair. The accommodations are admittedly sparse--this is a hotel in a developing country after all. Although the rooms were quite cold at night, I was pretty snug under the cozy alpaca wool blankets. I always had a hot shower, although I did hear some people complain about cold showers. I suppose if you're taking a shower at the same time as everyone else, you run the risk of taking a cold shower (plan accordingly). The staff at the front desk were pretty helpful--I didn't experience any of the troubles mentioned by others. My Spanish is pretty bad, and they graciously navigated many an awkward bi-lingual conversation with me (in fact, most spoke English quite well). All in all, it's no 5-star resort, but it definitely did the trick.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SoloTraveler588
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We had a pretty terrible stay in Cusco Plaza II, firstly as part of an otherwise perfect GAP adventures tour and then an extended stay due to illness.

This hotel is corroding GAP's reputation in our opinion. Problems - some of the staff INCREDIBLY rude and apathetic (unlike every single GAP representative whose customer service was 100% all of the time) the hotel staff were uninterested, surly and downright rude particularly an employee called Iska on 3 occassions, including once when I was in hospital. Everything was too much trouble. She stood doing nothing whilst my girlfriend waited to ask some questions, in the end she gave up. We were made to feel very unwelcome. The reception staff had no idea what time our GAP meet was, they had to ask around. They told 2 members of our group of 7 the wrong meeting time meaning they were briefed seperately, we didn't meet them until day 2 and they didn't have all the info - all because of the lazy hotel staff.

Security was appalling. The maid left our room door unlocked and slightly ajar for 6 hours after changing our towels. The room were they leave all the bags for the tours is INCREDIBLY unsecure, I was free to wander in and out unescorted. One day GAP will have a major issue if the room is compromised and there will be 3-6 tours of very angry customers with stuff missing. Also, so many people were ill, more than anywhere else we visited. It was always the topic of conversation at breakfast, although of course this may just have been a coincidence.

We went through all our complaints with the manager before we left, he was apologetic, but was a very very weak manager for a major hotel, every time I'd seen him he was wandering meekly and aimlessly around the hotel carrying a plastic carrier bag and wearing an old jacket, the staff clearly had no direction or authority coming from him - other managers of international hotels would be striding around the hotel, greeting guests and commanding respect and authority.

It is the worst stay for service we have had in 3 months in South America. The hotel building itself and the rooms are really nice and it could be a good (maybe great) hotel, but the staff are appalling.

Other points, breakfast very mediocre for a 3 star hotel, lack of decent choices. Cable TV didn't work for us sometimes, hot water runs out when the tours return en masse at 6.30pm. It gets 2 stars/5 purely for the decent rooms and beds.

Avoid, we stayed in far FAR better for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple