“Luxury in the highlands!”

Inkaterra La Casona Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #2 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We spent a total of three nights at this property during our trip to Peru. It was, in a word, luxurious. La Casona probably ranks as one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The hotel is richly appointed in both the public areas and in each of the rooms. Staff is extremely attentive and makes every effort to meet all of your needs during your stay. This is a unique property in that it is run like a private hacienda. There is little marking the hotel from the exterior and you must knock on heave wooden doors in order to enter the property. During our first stay, we had a room in the back of the courtyard - facing the front entry. It was very quiet. Our second room was on the second level and had a window opening to one of the streets and we heard quite a bit of street noise during the night. Both rooms had features such as a wood-burning fireplace, heated towel racks, deep tubs, etc. The breakfast was very nice - a buffet-style continental breakfast, with hot items to order. Only I ate dinner at the restaurant, and found that it was very good. My only comment about the restaurant is that it is extremely formal. We loved Cusco but remember that it is at high altitude and there can be some ramifications. We noted that a lot of the guests seemed to suffer from altitude sickness. The hotel staff was very attentive to these issues. Inkaterra does an amazing job yet again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at Inkaterra La Casona Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear guest,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience at our property and we appreciate the time you took to write this lovely review.

Thank you for staying at La Casona!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

La Casona is simply the best hotel we have ever stayed at. When you arrive on the nice plaza nazarena, you would never guess that the large door is hiding such a gem. But as soon as the door opened, I felt immediately under the charm of this beautiful Spanish house. It opens on a splendid courtyard, beautifully lit and scented with burning perfumes. We were immediately shown to our bedrooms. And I just could not believe it. Everything was so simple and elegant at the same time. The rooms are large and so are the bathrooms. The decoration is so exquisite and classy. The open fire in the rooms, Candles. The towels are so fluffy and the bathrobes so soft. So are the sheets.The charm goes on in the morning as you open the shutters on the plaza. I could I have spent hours just looking at the life going on down there: both a nice tranquil and lively atmosphere. It is also ideally located. Just a few steps from the Plaza de armas and the restaurants. I do not want to say more, because I do not want to ruin your experience. Pure class.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Taralla
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at three Inkaterra Properties while in Peru, they were all fantastic, however La Casona was our favorite. My opinion this small boutique (approx 13 suite) stands it ground with the larger Orient Express hotels the Monasterio & Palacio Nazarenas across the street. If you are looking for a quiet small luxury hotel don’t look any further. We felt as if we were the only ones in the hotel. The Staff and Service are amazing. On arrival we were greeted with warm hand towels and coca tea in the lounge room of the hotel. While sipping our coca tea we were givin our room key and staff took our luggage to our room. ( It was great Not having to stand around at a reception desk) We were then shown our room. The room was spacious. The bathroom bigger than the bedroom with his and hers sinks, heated towel racks, a separate large shower, toilet and bathtub. The bed was comfortable, however the pillows were a little flat. On turn down a treat was left and a hot water bottle was placed on each side of the bed. The fireplace would have been great if it was cooler. The fridge was stocked with complimentery chips, chocolates and drinks. Breakfast was served in the dining room. Cereals, fruit, nuts, huge avocados, different types of breads, croissants and juices were available on a table and a cooked breakfast was cooked fresh to your liking. Eggs, pancakes etc. Within a short stroll you’ll find The Main Square of Cusco were you’ll find basilicas, convents, monuments, great restaurants and many local souvenir stores selling cheap and expensive alpha products. The hotel has 24 hour service so if you have a late night out there is always someone ready to open the external door with a smile.

Room Tip: 13 on ground floor. spacious and huge bathroom
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

It is hard to describe a place that feels like your own home, with full time help and some of the most charming and luxurious surroundings I can remember.

My brother and I arrived late from a VERY difficult drive, after dark, from the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. We were very tired, not feeling well from the altitude, and frankly quite upset with our driver who spent 2 1/2 hours passing cars and trucks on two lane mountain roads to get to Cuzco. After a harrowing drive, we were not in a good mood.

As soon as we got past the front door, we were quickly whisked away to our suite (#5) on the second floor...no reception..no hassle...to one of the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen. What a joy!!! The reception staff took our passports and returned with 2 Pisco sours and our check in forms where we could leisurely fill them out and enjoy or drinks in the tranquility of our room.

What a haven in the midst of a very challenging city!.

Everything in our room was perfection. Service incredible! I have traveled the world and I prefer Relais Chateau properties... and this is the only one in all of Peru and I can see why!

Dinner and breakfast were very good...if I have to nit pick...I did notice at breakfast that the tables were left dirty and not reset for quite some time...with crumbs on the floor. I only noticed this because the rest of the property is so perfect.

With respect to some of the other comments about noise I can say I do agree, but you CAN get quiet if you close the insulated glass doors over the old ones. That said, if you are VERY sensitive to noise, I suggest you book a room without openings to the square in front of the hotel. It does appear that due to the proximity of free internet provided by the Hotel(which is very good and not locked with a password). So I think people sit outside the hotel in the square socializing and I suspect they are using the free connection while chatting it up....and sometimes this goes on all night long.

Otherwise this hotel is a most luxurious haven, in a fantastic location. It sits across from the larger, more busy Monasterio Hotel. and is only one block from the main historic square in Cuzco.

A true marvel in the madness of Cuzco!

Room Tip: all the rooms are amazing....but the lack of insulation to outside street means you have to ask for...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you like the feel of a small luxury boutique hotel, w/ big suites (11 of them!). La Casona is a unique pick, as it's situated in the same plaza as two of the most affluent luxury hotels in Cusco, the Monasterio & Palacio Nazarenas. I've been a travel specialist at CAT Travel for over 7 years, having lived and worked from our local office in Cusco, and we always try and build truly unique experiences of all kinds, and when you want to do luxury...there are of course different tastes at which we cater to...however, simply put...the Casona is run by an incredible management team Inkaterra, with a level of customer service that can only be accomplished in such a small and exclusive property. I highly recommend this hotel for those looking for a low profile and incredibly comfortable stay in Cusco - plenty of excellent Peruvian restaurants nearby as well (i.e. ChiCha, by Gaston Acurio). If you need any help with your trip in/around Peru...you know where to find me! Looking forward... :)

Room Tip: All rooms are filled with just about every possibly inch of comfort, our traveler feedback is always...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank classadventuremarc
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Previous reviews have caught most of the spectacularly unique aspects of the hotel such as its small room count coupled with large numbers of highly trained staff, beautiful restoration, location etc., so I will skip to what went right (mostly) and wrong with my stay and what seems like a quirk of the chain.

- Negatives: our first experience with them was at the airport in Cusco where we had arranged for a pick up. On arrival, we saw that the Inkaterra stall at the airport was not staffed and there was no sign of a driver either. After waiting for five minutes we called the hotel the transportation "desk" and were told that the van was within a half a block. Some ten minutes and a second call later, the hotel changed the status to he is within a mile! Fifteen minutes later after a third call we were told that he was at the airport which was when we spotted him pulling in. Both driver and staff apologized but did not explain why they could not send someone considering pick up had been booked well in advance.

Upon check-in (there is no "front desk", just staff always ready to assist milling around) we were led to our room on the 2nd floor (room 6 - although no rooms have signs with a view to giving guests a homey feeling). We were told by the staffer that it was one of the 2 best rooms in the house. Yes, it was spectacularly beautiful with high ceilings, hand painted motifs near the ceiling and doors and windows that overlooked either the square or the courtyard etc. What we were not told was that, considering the windows are far from hermetically shut, street noise from returning revelers in the wee hours sounded like it was coming from a foot of our bed! As a result, the highly comfortable bed was not much use unless one is capable of sleeping through noise from the street and the courtyard.

- Positives: besides the fantastic quality of restoration and beautiful interior setting (rooms over look a courtyard) the hotel's restaurant where all three meals are served is absolutely fantastic both in its setting and quality of food. We also used the spa for a massage which can take only one person at a time so, the staff arranged for a proper massage table and different masseuse in the room! Both were terrific. BTW, the resort has free WiFi without the bother of a password..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveleasy
Ecommerce_manager, Ecommerce at Inkaterra La Casona Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear guest,

We really appreciate taking the time to write about your stay with us.

We are very sorry about the inconvenience of the transportation; as it is not a common case, we were able to get a fast report about it. During that day, the local government decided to check the paperwork of all touristic transportations around a well-known avenue in the city; this unforeseen situation took more time than our driver expected. We again apologize for the inconvenience and we will work on alternatives to avoid a situation like this to happen again.

Besides this situation, we appreciate your kind comments about our food, Spa services as well as layout and decoration; La Casona is a carefully restored colonial manor house looking to provide privacy and comfort to all of our guests.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing Inkaterra during your visit to Peru!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Our group of 5 people recently spent 3 nights at this gem of a hotel. There are only 11 rooms and you are treated like an honored guest in someone's home. The exterior door is always closed, but as soon as you arrive, the door is opened to welcome you. The rooms are very large and comfortable and the bathrooms are very modern with 2 sinks and a separate shower and tub. There is free internet throughout the hotel and we were very happy that our room had outlets for both 110 and 220 volt appliances, so we did not need a converter. As soon as we arrived, we were offered coca leaf tea to help with any problems associated with the altitude. The staff was wonderful. Breakfast was included and was very good. In addition to the usual cereal, croissants, etc, we were offered eggs, pancakes and anything else we could possibly want. We had dinner twice in the hotel restaurant and enjoyed it very much. I am a very picky eater and all our special requests were fulfilled. My husband was not feeling well one day and was unable to go on our pre-arranged tour, but insisted that I go. I had our guide call the hotel several times to check on him and was assured that he was resting and that I shouldn't worry. He spent some time in the very comfortable lounge area and was constantly brought tea and anything else he wanted. I recommend requesting a room on the second floor, as those rooms have much higher ceilings and seem airier and brighter than the rooms on the main floor. As elsewhere in the area, it is not safe to drink the tap water, but there was plenty of bottled water available at all times. There were lots of other special touches that set this hotel apart from others. Turn down service in the evening included a hot water bottle placed on both sides of the bed and a small box of delicious chocolates for each guest. The bathroom has a heated towel rack. What we will remember most about this hotel is the friendly, helpful staff.

Room Tip: The corner rooms on the second floor have exposure on 2 sides and face the square.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends