All reviewssimon bolivarbubble bathprivate homeplaza suitewooden doorquiet plazacentury manorknock on the doorboutique hotelhot water bottlesprivate residencepatio suitethe main squareseparate showermachu picchufallen angelsmall hotel
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Upon arriving back in the US and reviewing our trip to Peru, my husband and I agree that Inkaterra was by far the best hotel overall in which we have stayed. There always seems to be a few faux pas ...little missteps at the hotel...that are usually forgivable. However we have none to comment on at Inkaterra. From the moment I stepped through the heavy wooden door ..from the noisy street into the quiet courtyard..., I felt safe, appreciated, taken care of, and transported to a time of Incan warriors and Spanish conquistadors. I felt a hospitality that Simeon Bolivar might have extended to a guest in his home. Loving history, this only added to the experience. Our room,#9, was spacious, impeccably clean, and well furnished. Our mini bar was completely filled and restocked daily ( in contrast to what a previous reviewer noted). The staff quietly appeared and offered hot drinks one cool night as we sat in the little sitting area outside of our room and enjoyed the view of the courtyard and the statue of Christ that stands over the city. No snobbery, no pretentiousness, just graciousness. We did visit the Monasterio across the street one night because friends had raved about their time there but with the most honest assessment I can give, choose Inkaterra. Both are lovely, however you get that feeling of being a guest in a house at Inkaterra that you do not get at the Monasterio....and the rooms are larger.( be aware that you do not find large rooms in a Monastery). At breakfast there is a table with an array of fruits, cereals,breads, cheese and meats, but this is just a starter for what you will then order from the kitchen...eggs cooked to order, bacons, omelets, teas, french press coffee, delicous baskets of sweet rolls or grain toasts...anything you might want. I do not think you will find a more pleasing place to stay in Cusco...probably in the entire country of Peru.

Room Tip: Many rooms have an outside wall and you will hear some sounds that break through from the streets, but for the most part, the noise is minimal and the inner courtyard is extremenly quiet. The upstairs room #9 is away from lower noises and in being a corner room, is spacious and does not face the noisier square.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights here - one on our way to Machu Picchu, and one on the return. This is probably one of the most memorable hotel properties we have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The former home of a Spanish Conquistador, fully restored, with even the original paintings (artwork) bordering the ceiling. From the time you step up, over and through the doorway, you know you're in another world. The service couldn't have been any better. The massage was wonderful. A real working fireplace prepared for us, hot water bottles placed under the blankets at night to warm the bed... These are just a few of the special touches that you will find in this PERFECT place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I can only echo all of the comments made by other reviewers. The hotel is absolutely beautiful in every way with all of the amenities and qualities of the world's best hotels. The building is a historic colonial home over 400 years old and it is beautifully restored; the decor is exquisite and the staff are incomparable for helpfulness and great service. The ultimate touch of comfort and decadence were the working fireplaces in every room and the velvet covered hot water bottles placed in the beds every night. The staff do everything to make you feel as if you are guests in an elegant and luxurious private home. We feel privilieged to have been able to stay there.

1  Thank MsJHatch
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights in total at the Inkaterra La Casona it was the best hotel we have stayed at in all of Peru and the best in many year. It reminded us most of the Riads of Morocco. The rooms are spacious with character the staff was genuine and friendly. It is beautifully located out the door first lane on your right and you are in the plaza across the square and you are headed to San Blas. There was nothing we found wanting or wished was better.

2  Thank Steve D
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Just overnight but what a beautiful, comfortable, intimate hotel. Staff were very helpful and the room was fabulous!
Situated on a small beautiful square and set in a restored 16th C Spanish Urban Palace

1  Thank James I