“great location, average hotel”

and 1 more site!
Tupac Yupanqui Palace Hotel
Ranked #109 of 173 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location of this hotel is great, its really close to the main square and the area around the hotel felt really safe, even during the night. The hotel itself is a lovely old traditional building, but it really needs an update. The rooms are clean, but very old fashioned and the rooms are really cold with just a small heater to try and keep them warm. The bathroom is adequate but the hot water is inconsistent. There are not many windows in the rooms so they feel a bit dark and dingy. The rooms were also quite noisy. The communal outdoor courtyard if lovely. There is free coca tea and the breakfast is ok. Stayed here as part of a group trip, completing the Inca trail, it met our needs, but was nothing special.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was meeting a party who was staying at the hotel. While I was waiting and clearly not a guest, the staff asked if I would like to eat breakfast. It was sparse and I needed something light so I said yes and asked for juice and toast. I then asked for the check and they had no way of charging me as it was for room guests. I went to the front desk and asked if I could pay for what I ate as I did not think it would be free either. To my surprise they started off wanting 40 soles which is very expensive. I eventually ended up paying 20 soles, but had I known it would cost that much I would have gladly ate elsewhere for much better food and for much less. Their attitude was very poor and I think for someone trying to do the right thing, they missed the mark entirely. For such a heavy tourist location, there are many other places with friendly staff to waist any time at a place that uses the name Palace, which it is not.

Room Tip: Simple go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here a total of 5 days. The hotel is located a few block from the plaza. Its walking distant from every thing! The hotels has a great feel. The Wifi is near the lobby only. The room are big and comfortable. The bed are ok a bit on the firm side. The room do get cold. They do have portable heaters but you have leave them on all night. The bathroom is nice. The major down side of the hotel is that there is low water pressure and very little or no hot water!

over all good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex A
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at the hotel twice during my 3-week tour of Peru. Jaime and the rest of the staff were very attentive and helpful and the hotel rooms were comfortable. Some of the rooms have stronger WIFI connection than others, and the staff (Sebastian) tested several rooms with me to determine which was most suitable to my needs. The breakfasts were delicious, including eggs to order, and the staff gave useful advice on daytrips and other activities without being pushy. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank brosoLA
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel had everything we wanted for our stay in Cusco. Really clean, really nice staff. The staff greeted us with hot tea, and they always went out of their way to help us. Food in the morning was decent. The location is fabulous, just around the corner from Plaza de Armas. On our last day, they upgraded our room to a suite without us even asking! And on top of this, the hotel has a lot of history, it used to be an ancient royal Incan's palace... And there are incan stones from the original structure inside the hotel. So if thats not cool enough for you, not sure what is! Its got history. Its decorated in a charming peruvian way. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here with a tour group for a few nights in March. The hotel had all the basic amenities and was located very close to the main square in Cusco. Since the building is made of cement the rooms can be quite cold and the lighting isn't great unless you open your shutters which also brought in more noise. The hot water was not consistent, on the first night I was not able to get any hot water but for the remainder of my stay I didn't have any issues as long as you let the shower run for a few minutes first. The breakfast was good and you could have eggs made to order if you didn't like what was already provided. The staff was excellent and provided great service. Overall my stay was good and if I find myself in Peru again I would consider going back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was part of a group and this was our Cusco accommodation for several nights. Was I impressed? Not really. Was the hotel offensive? Not really. Would I stay there again? Maybe if I couldn't find any other options.

Here are a few of my pointers: #1 I was fortunate enough to have a second floor room on the interior of the courtyard, so there was no outside noise. #2 The ceiling was very high and they had nothing more than a portable accordion heater. That's important to know should you want the room to be ultra warm at night. Hot air rises and cold air sinks, so you're much more likely to find your room cool while the heater does anything negligible. #3 My roommate and I noticed that it took a LOOOONG time for the water to get hot. How long? We both kept the shower running for five minutes prior to getting in. I found that the water didn't get hot until I was literally just about done with my shower. #4 I recommend you don't even bother turning on the "cold" faucet because the "hot" faucet alone is all you need to get anything that won't shock your body. #5 One of my biggest complaints was the fact that there was a small plastic square that was supposed to be the bath mat. How a plastic mat helps you when you get out of the shower is beyond my comprehension. #6 In my bathroom they had one of those old-fashioned showers with the sliding doors. I hated it because the toilet was large and it was very difficult to maneuver out of the shower between the door opening and the toilet. Coupled with the plastic bath mat, there were a couple of times where I almost slipped. #7 During the day there are glass doors that open from the street into the hotel. At night there are large wooden blue doors that they close in front of the glass doors. That's important to know because if you're a person who uses landmarks, it's very easy to walk right past the hotel in the dark. My group went out salsa dancing and had a few drinks before heading back to the hotel. At first no one recognized the fact that the hotel had closed wooden doors, so we literally walked up and down the street, arguing with each other where the hotel was located. Someone at the front desk finally heard us in a state of confusion and opened the door to let us know where we were. #8 There is free wi-fi, but it is only available in the check-in area at the front of the hotel, not in your room. There were more than six of us huddled in the front, trying to pick up as much of the wi-fi signal as we could to check email or Facebook. #9 To be fair, the hotel staff were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper who likes it warm and toasty at night, request a first-floor room on t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends