“Good location, otherwise just ok”

and 1 more site!
Tupac Yupanqui Palace Hotel
Ranked #109 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a tour.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the location is good (for a tourist, at least), being a 5 minute walk to the main Plaza de Armas.

The rooms in the main building and the attached secondary structure are organized around courtyards. The ones on the primary courtyard are a bit noisy. (I didn't have a room on the street, as others did, so can't comment on street noise.)

The appointment of the rooms is fine, but they seem a bit tired, given the aspirations of the hotel. The hot water is intermittent at best, and (I think as with most rooms in this category and below) there's no heat - which means that they can be chilly in the evenings. A space heater was provided which helped, but it's not the same.

Overall, I wouldn't complain if another tour booked me there, but for the price I would likely end up someplace else if booking for myself.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Nice charming little hotel...not the grandest, but gave us all what we needed. Pressure in showers is weak but there was hot water. Breakfast was minimalistic...but staff friendly, helpful and knowledgable. It is a 5 min walk into town, shopping and restaurants ( even has a laundry shop next door, and a supermarket up the street).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2012

First let me say that the staff are incredibally helpful and very nice, no complaints there. This was a tour, so we didn't get to choose the hotel. My main complaint is noise, as our room the first two nights was directly over the street, so we got very little sleep. Due to a sinus infection I couldn't wear earplugs. The third night (after a night's absence to Machu Picchu) we got an inside room on the courtyard, which was much quieter, except getting woken up at 3:30am due to a tour group leaving, but that was better than getting very little sleep the two previous nights.

We had no hot water the first morning, but plenty of hot water the next two mornings. Unfortunately the second morning we couldn't take showers because our wakeup call came an hour later than we asked for, so we barely had time to make our tour that was waiting for us. The other mornings the wake up call was on time.

Breakfast was the second worse we had in our whole Peru trip, no eggs, and very little selection, unless you like lots of bread. And most of the food is not actually put out until an hour after they advertise the breakfast as starting, so because we had to meet a tour we missed getting to eat anything but bread one morning. However, on one morning we had to leave before breakfast opened they did pack us a couple sandwiches, which was very nice of them.

Wi-fi worked great the first two nights, but not the third. Others in the lobby also were not able to connect the third night, so it wasn't just us.

The ambiance of the hotel is great, it is very picturesque and quaint, and the staff is great. I guess my main problem is just the noise, and lack of as good a breakfast as we got in the rest of the hotels we stayed at during our trip. It is also a great location, just 2 and a half blocks of level waking off the main plaza.

Room Tip: As for an interior room not above the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is a really lovely family-run hotel that is mid-range and while it isn't without it's problems (spotty hot water at times, poor lighting in the bathrooms in the older portion of the hotel), the owners are extremely responsive and make all efforts to make your stay comfortable. (spotty hot water is a problem all over Cuzco, not just this place) The breakfasts are really nice and the beds very comfortable. We stayed in two different rooms while we were passing through Cuzco - one had a blow dryer built in and the other one didn't, but I asked for one at the front desk and it was no problem. Also asked for extra pillows which were delivered immediately. And finally, we wanted to take some Andean cheese with us back home to Lima but didn't have time on our final day, so someone from the hotel ran out to the market for us to get some. Fabulous!! The exceptionally genuine and warm service made up for the few little inconveniences.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel as the bathrooms are a bit more modern. WiFi is stron...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelin_lass
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed in 3 different rooms in this hotel. None of them gave me consistent hot water. Either freezing, scalding, or fluctuating somewhere between without warning. I went from smallest, small to huge room. Ask for a hair dryer from the front desk. They are extremely friendly and helpful. Its a decent little hotel. Love the courtyard area! And the free mate tea!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank lovetoflygirl
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I was here as part of a tour. Mixed feelings about this place.

We were in room 202. Don't get this room. It was on the street side and VERY noisy. Like you were standing on the street trying to sleep noisy. The heater in the room was inadequate. They gave a heater you might find under someone's desk for a large vaulted room with no insulation. The blanket on the bed was one size too small. No way to get more than one person under it comfortably. The water in our sink smelled of sulpher. Breakfast was typical continental stuff. Nothing special.

There were good points too. Its built on the foundations of an Inca palace. The hotel is pretty. The staff was nice. Its right around the corner from the plaza de armas. Close to everything and that's important at nearly 11k ft. If I had an interior room with a good heater I would have been a lot happier with the place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SeamasterPro
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We were booked in here as part of our tour. Having already been to Ecuador, the Galapagos and Lima where we had super accommodation we were looking forward to spending 3 nights in Cusco but when we arrived we were given a room with hairs all over the bathroom, crap all over the mats and a window that was about 20 foot up the wall. There were footprints (yes footprints) up the walls and it was more like a prison cell than a hotel room. Of course we complained (along with two other members of our group) and a maid was eventually sent to reclean the room. The difference was negligible and we then had a heated discussion with the 'Manager' who only seemed to say 'I know', which he clearly didn't know or manage or the situation wouldn't have happened in the first place. His excuse was that the previous guests left late and it was an old colonial building - I told him that as far as I was concerned neither excuse stopped someone from cleaning the room and painting the walls.. They did eventually (we sat in the cold open area until 9.30p.m.) find us an alternative, reasonably clean (still had black mould all over the bathroom tiles) room for the night and the following day our amazing tour guide changed the whole group to a fabulous hotel just around the corner which funnily enough was the same price as this dump. The staff were anything but pleasant, the public areas were dusty and shabby looking, the cups for making drinks were chipped. I cannot think of one saving grace in this place. My best advice - don't go there.

Room Tip: If you must stay there - ask for a clean room with a proper window.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family