Hotel Mabey Cusco
Hotels.com
$163
$760
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 30, 2010

As the other reviews have stated, this hotel is a very authentic, clean, and wonderful little hotel, but I'd like to focus on my particular experience here. I was staying at the Mabey Palacio hotel in November and we had left very early in the morning to go to Machu Picchu. Imagine my anguish when I realized three hours later that I had inadvertently left my wedding/engagement ring on the nightstand by the bed! To my surprise and great relief, the ring was immediately found, and we were able to retrieve it on our way back to Cuzco. The staff at the hotel went above and beyond quality in service by finding my ring and ensuring its safe return. Contrary to what we had heard about Peru being a country where you have to be particularly cautious, I can't praise the staff/management enough for making sure my ring got back to me safe and sound!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This hotel had everything I needed. Small tub/shower in roomy bathroom, larger tv with English channels, comfy bed, curtains that kept the light out, desk, closet with lots of drawers.
Elevator wouldn't go to floor 3 but the staircase was lovely.
Staff nice.
Room service was a little problem. Person that answered phone didn't speak English.
First time, order delayed but got a complimentary drink to compensate. Second time I called the front desk to make sure my order was placed correctly. (Don't order veggie soup, order asparagus soup.)
Breakfast buffet ok.
3 computers in bar with free internet access.
Walked into town nice, through authentic neighborhood, but keep in mind the walk up Avenida Sol to main square is uphill.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed here 3 nights and had a pleasant experience. The lobby welcomes you with attractive wood counter, spiral staircase and comfortable leather couches. The rooms were average, clean but not very quiet. Our bathroom had a vent in it that opened to several other bathroom vents which meant you could hear everything anyone did in the neighboring rooms. Not only do the tourists wake early, but so do the locals. At 6 am on the second morning we were surprised to hear fireworks and a parade of drums and trumpets pass by the hotel, apparently part a wedding celebration. Who comes to Peru to sleep in though....there is too much fun stuff to do. The room was quiet at night. The front desk helped us arrange for laundry service which was a life-saver but a tad pricey. There was a lounge area that had a couple of computers with free internet access which was convenient. Free coca leaves and coca tea were available in the lounge area as well to help combat altitude sickness. I was disappointed with the service and slowness of the restaurant but the food was okay. Americans tend to be demanding and much more fast-paced than many other parts of the world, so it is a good idea to relax and get on local time when visiting other countries. We used our wait time to talk and relax away from the group and unwind from the rigorous tour schedule. It all worked out fine. We spent 2 nights here and then had to leave our bags with the desk while we traveled to Aguas Calientes for a night. I was nervous about this but arrived back to find them secure.
The walk to the plaza is a pleasant hike, about 15 minutes. Taxis are cheap and plentiful and the front desk was helpful in calling them for us. I would definitely recommend taking a taxi after dark just as a safety precaution, but I never felt unsafe here.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed June 30, 2010

If you are looking for a place to sleep and a few amenities. This is the place. The bed is really the box spring...no mattress. The hotel is located at the end of the boonies. But it only cost $1 for the taxi to the Plaza de Armas. Breakfast was buffet style with spartan type of food. But nothing to jump up and down with glee about. There was a bakery at the corner which I bought a few rolls. Lock all of your things in your lugguage...leave nothing on the tables as I did with my snacks and hersey bars. They were gone when i got back in the evening. After some hard talking they were returned. As I said before this low end budget hotel and the staff was helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stayed here two nights on two different rooms. The room varied a lot, so make sure you have a good room (some rooms are noticable bigger). A lot of noise from traffic at night. Location is far away from downtown, even though taxi is 3 S. (~1 US dollar), it prevents you from wondering easily in the evening.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family