“A Family Owned Gem!”

Ranked #48 of 347 Cusco B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“A Family Owned Gem!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Located just steps from the Plaza de Armas, Suecia is charming, clean, affordable and run by a local family whose roots are part of Cuzco itself. The first thing I noticed when I arrived was that everyone was very attentive and friendly. The building is an authentic example of the city's old colonial architecture and well maintained and you'll love waking up and having breakfast in the light-filled main courtyard. I've been to Cuzco on numerous occasions and tried various hotels and cannot recommend a better place to stay than Hostal Suecia I. Try it out for yourself!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank joe d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Hostal Suecia is a cosy, friendly place where It was good to come back to after visiting the Cusco surroundings. The rooms are big, there was hot water all the time, and the staff was very helpful. I really liked the central courtyard where breakfast is served. This is a very good quality hostal for the price you pay, and it could not be better located, 1 minute away from Cusco' magnificent Plaza de Armas. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Hostal Suecia 1
Scarcely 100 metres from the Plaza de Armas. Well run, well kept, clean, friendly and helpful. Breakfast better than average. Bright Central courtyard with plants table and chairs and polycarbonate roof. Wifi reliable to the top floor.  Front rooms have windows to the street which can be a bit noisy with revellers some nights. Middle rooms have good light from skylights but no window. Top floor rooms 209 with a double bed and slightly smaller, and 210 with three single beds, are the best.  Between them is a sitting area with a view over the roof tiles to the hilltops beyond. At 100 soles excellent value for Cusco.

Room Tip: Top floor 309 and 310 the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leptorillus
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

It's charming and close to the center. But for low season they refused to budge on the the price. So we thought, it must be really good. But then the noise came. The floors are very thin; we could hear the knocking of the floor upstairs and even the conversations from there. We reported this to the staff. This is a hiker's town, so it is common for guests to go to sleep early to wake up at 4-5AM for their Inca Trail start. Staff didn't care and said the noise will go away soon. It didn't, so we asked if we could change the room; a definitely no from the staff and we were left to our ear-plugs and prayer that the knocking will end soon so we would get some sleep.

Room Tip: Get the room from the top floor; though mysteriously we had the top floor and still people were abov...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were looking forward to staying here after reading the positive reviews and made reservations a month in advance though their website and also confirmed directly with hotel staff via email. One week before our trip we sent an email to reconfirm our reservations and the hotel staff said they'd never heard from us and that we had never made a reservation! Good thing we didn't just show up at their door expecting that their "reservation system" was trustworthy and that communication with staff via email could be relied upon. When we re-sent the documents proving that we had indeed made a reservation, we never heard from them again! Very disappointed in their level of professionalism.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Colombo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I found this place a very comfortable and convenient base for exploring Cusco, Ausangate (away for 4 days) and Machu Pichu (away for 1 night). The reason I stayed in three different rooms was because the friends I was on holiday with arrived and left at different times. I stayed in a family room (double and two singles), a twin room and a single, all very high ceilinged, all with en suite hot showers, all on the first floor (US - second floor) , all at the front of the building and each with large wooded shuttered windows which gave a view across the roof tops. When I went away to the places mentioned above I obviously didn't want to pay for a room i wasn't sleeping in so made use of the large free storage room.
The breakfast is very simple but gets you started and there is plenty of cocoa tea with it. The wifi didn't extent to any of the rooms I stayed in so i used it at the large wooden table in the atrium, which was a nice space to sit and chat with other guests in the morning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank realistic_colombo
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We were so happy to find this place! The staff is incredibly friendly, helpful, and straight-forward. They went out of their way to help us with our travel plans, including hailing taxis to the airport at 5 in the morning and bargaining with the taxi driver to give us the non-gringo rate. Our baggage was held for free for two days while we travelled to Lake Titicaca. The hostal is clean and simple and an incredible value. The courtyard is beautiful! And their location near the happening areas of Cusco can not be beat!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple