“The Garden House was a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Garden House

The Garden House
Ranked #41 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Dallas, Texas
“The Garden House was a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Garden House on a recent trip to Peru. We absolutely loved it. The ladies who run the place are two sisters that really welcomed us and made us feel at home. They really have a beautiful place, which was built by their father years ago. It feels much more like a home than a hotel. The garden is beautiful. We felt very safe and had all the conveniences we needed, and believe me- my wife can be picky. We couldn't have asked for more. I would definitely recommend the Garden House. It far surpasses the large impersonal hotels in town. You really won't regret staying here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Cusco, Peru to see the ruins around the city. We chose to stay at the Garden House, and didn't regret our choice for a minute. We were warmly welcomed upon arrival and they took care of everything. Our airline lost our luggage and the Garden House dealt with all of the airline calls to find everything and get our bags to us as soon as possible. They helped us with tour arrangements and restaurant choices. They even welcomed us into their kitchen during a late night game of cards with the family. The two ladies that run the Garden House, Doris and Cecelia "Cece" stepped in to become our moms for the whole trip. The house is beautiful with a gorgeous garden. It is a ten minute cab ride into town, but the fare is only about $3 and totally worth it. When we go back we won't stay anywhere else. Thanks Doris and Cece for such a wonderful time and for making us feel so at home!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbismu2
Carbondale, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed here with two familes and a total of 5 children ages 6-12. The rooms were spotless and comfortable. The house is a little out of town, but provides a quiet place to stay and is only a 15 minute taxi ride from teh center of town. The rest of the house had a kitchen, living room and reading area where we could all be together and relax after long days of exploring. Most of all, Celia is a wonderful hostess who made sure we had everything we needed, helped us arrange different day trips could not have been any kinder to our children.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We had our wedding at the Garden House and couldn't have been happier with the outcome. Doris and Flor from the Garden House organised the whole thing, including accomodation for our guests, a traditional Andean Shamanic ceremony, reception with 3 course meal, waiters, DJ, and fireworks, and a 4 day Machu Pichu hike. All of this for over 20 people, and it cost so little compared to what we would have had to pay for a wedding like this in Australia.
They did all of this via email, without seeing the Garden House in person, so understandably we were a bit nervous but when we arrived there we knew immediately we had made the right choice. We immediately felt at home and there was nothing that was too much trouble for them. Our wedding went off without a glitch, and it truly was beyond any of our expectations.
Not sure what else to say. The rooms were wonderful and the beds very. very comfortable. The surrounding gardens are truly beautiful, with a rose garden out the front and fruit trees around the back.
We simply cannot thank Garden House enough for all they have done for us.

• Stayed April 2010
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. I was a female traveling alone and I felt like I was part of a family for a few days. Also the hotel arranged excellent trips of Machu Picchu and Cusco for me during my stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

Last week, I traveled to Peru with my two Daughters who are in their late 20's. They took me on the trip to celebrate "Daddy's 50th Birthday". Our plans were to fly from Boston to Lima, stay a night in Lima, fly to Cusco, stay 4 nights at The Garden House, take the train to Puno, stay in Puno for 2 nights, fly back to Lima for a day and fly home the next day. Before our arrival, the folks at The Garden House were wonderful about setting up tours, and helping with information. We had never traveled to Peru, so it was great getting their input, which turned out to be "spot on". Upon our arrival at the airport in Cusco, a person was waiting for us, holding a sign with our name on it. He took us to the House, which was about a 15 minute ride. The house was charming, the beds very comfortable and most of all, the owners and staff were second to none! When we got settled and decided to sit outside in the courtyard, we were asked if we would like some tea and sandwiches ( do drink the coca tea if you are not used to high altitude... it really helps). After enjoying, they arranged for a cab to pick us up at the door, so we could go into town. The house is a little way from the center of town (10 minutes at most). A cab is only 7 S/ (Sole) each way (about $2 to $3 US). The airline lost my bag and I needed to get some clothes to hold me over. They told me where to go and I got an outfit and a couple of shirts, changed at the store and went to dinner. Many great places in Cusco to eat. In the mean time, the folks at The Garden House were on the phone with the airline, tracking down my bag (which they were successful in doing). No worries for me!!! I was out having a good time. Day two they arranged for a guide (Danny) to drive us around the Inca Ruins just above the city. Danny was great. He mainly speaks Spanish, but my younger daughter speaks very good Spanish and my other daughter and I know enough to get by (more or less). We learned so much from Danny. If you speak a little Spanish, ask for him. Day three, we took the trip to Machu Pichu. Again, everything was arranged by the folks at The Garden House. It was a long day!!! A van picked us up at 4:30AM, took us to a bus, that took us to a train, that took us to a bus that would take us up the mountain to Machu Pichu. Words can't describe the scenery on the trip or at Machu Pichu. You'll have to see it for yourself. Really... YOU HAVE TO! We got "home" at about 8:00PM. We made arrangements with The Garden House to have one of the places in Cussco bring in dinner for us so we could eat when we got back. It was perfect! Everything was perfect! Unfortunately, at about 2:00 or 3:00AM, my daughter became very ill (don't drink the water anywhere you go!!!). We went out of our room at about 4:00AM and told one of the owners who was up making breakfast for another group going to Machu Pichu that day. She insisted on calling a Doctor. Believe it or not, a Doctor arrived in about 15 minutes, with an ambulance. After a few questions and a quick look, he told us we should go to the clinic with him, as my daughter was very dehidrated. It turned out that my daughter had a parasite and Salmenilla poisining. She was VERY sick. We determined it to be the water (NOT ANY FOOD). If it was food, we all would have been sick, as we tasted all the same things. The clinic and Doctor was wonderful. Both of the owners came to visit my daughter during her two+ day stay at the clinic. When they left they said "We will wait for you at Home." They changed all of our train, plane and hotel arrangements for us and put us up for another two nights on short notice. We missed our trip to Puno, but two more days at The Garden House was fine with us. I felt like I had my immediate family there helping out in a difficult time. Honestly, I can't say enough about everyones overwelming hospitality, compasion and true concern over my daughter's well being and wanting us to be able to make the best out of our trip. We promise to return with more of our family. I never thought I would go to Peru more than once in my life... I am now, for sure! Doris, Ceciela, Flor and the rest of the staff, if you are reading this, thank you so much. You will always be in our hearts. Much Love! And, as for the rest of you reading this, know that if you stay at The Garden House, YOU WILL BE WELL TAKEN CARE OF!

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank DaddyHopkin
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

If I had to do it all over again, I would not have stayed here. The cost of the hotel was USD150 and while it is a unique place to stay (it is someone's villa) and the owner was extremely gracious and nice, there were things we found lacking. For the same price or less, we could have stayed in the center of town in a four or five star hotel like the Casa Andina, Hotel Monasterio, or Liberador. To get from the Garden House to the center of Cusco, one had to arrange for a taxi and then spend the cost (not much 7-8 sol) on a 20 minute taxi. There are no easily accessible restaurants or quaint areas to go outside of the hotel, and one has to ring oneself in / out of the place so I felt somewhat trapped when I was staying there. It's also in the flight path of Cusco airport which eliminated my need for an alarm clock.

We primarily stayed here becuase it received very high reviews on Trip Advisor and was also recommended by Backroads in its travel information. But our experience didn't live up to the reviews. I think a person who likes the bed and breakfast scene and for whom location is not an important consideration may enjoy it more than we did.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple