“Home away from home”
Review of The Garden House

The Garden House
Ranked #74 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We spent the best and most comfortable four nights on our 3-week holiday in this beautiful home turned hotel in Cusco. Ceci and her family made sure we were comfortable, got up early to make a wholesome breakfast each morning and even gave us lunch and dinner when we were too tired to go out. Garden House is tastefully furnished and we appreciated all the little extras down to the classical background music while we ate! While we were a bit of a trek from the city proper, Ceci made sure we we had secure transport back and forth, lending us a cell phone so we could call her when we needed pick up. She also made sure that all our tour arrangements were in place. We certainly appreciated that help. We will definitely recommend Garden House to anyone going to Cusco.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shyamala84

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Visiting South America for the very first time and being aware of the altitude of Cuzco, I wanted somewhere 'safe' and relaxing to stay.

I am very happy that I chose to stay at the Garden House and it was nothing short of wonderful. The Garden House is a tranquil, beautiful and very tastefully decorated house with very nice large rooms and kingsize comfortable beds. The relatively short ride from the centre of Cuzco was no issue at all and for me rather a benefit.

Doris and Ceci are incredibly nice and accommodating hosts and will left nothing to be desired. They know everything about Peru, can help with the planning and booking of your trips and get up as early as needed to prepare a fresh breakfast for you before you leave for Machu Picchu. They truly make you not wanting to leave anymore.

What should be mentioned is their driver Esteban, a very nice local who took me on a very efficient day-trip through the Sacred Valley. If you don't have much time but want to see a lot, Esteban can surely make it happen!

In short: I'll be back! Thank you for everything Doris and Ceci. Already missing you..!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank akri0200
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Garden House has to be the most welcoming place that I have stayed in during my travels. First of all, this is not a Marriott, Sheraton or any other big hotel. It is a smaller hotel run by two sisters, Ceci and Doris, who speak english fluently and welcome you as if you are family staying at their home.

And although you are received with such warmth, they also take care of every little detail. Transport to and from the airport is included, they gave us with a courtesy cell phone in case of emergencies, provided dinner recommendations (that were spot on - highly recommend Limo) and arranged reservations and taxis. They also keep an oxygen tank on hand in case of altitude sickness, lent us a tour book and bug repellant for our trip to Machu Pichu and just generally took care of every need that we had. A fantastic breakfast of fresh fruit, cereal, eggs and bread awaits you every day. They even woke up early to ensure that had breakfast the day that we left for Machu Pichu...at 5:00 a.m. My only wish is that we had let them take care of more arrangements, as they were so accommodating and efficient (which I can hardly say for the 2 travel agents that we dealt with).

A couple of notes about the Garden House. This hotel is closer to the airport than downtown. It is not in an area that has much to see or eat (beyond pizza), so you will likely be taking a 20 minute taxi ride downtown to the Plaza de Armas for sightseeing and to eat. However, Cusco is very safe, the ride is about US$4 each way and is arranged by the hotel, so this was not an issue for us at all. As mentioned above, this is more of a larger house converted into a hotel. Breakfast is served in the kitchen or the dining room, which are the same size rooms as you would have in your own home. The two rooms we had were suites, with a sitting room and a second room with the bed, with a single bathroom that can be accessed from each room. Some suites have a queen in the sitting room, and three single beds in the back room. If you are looking for a big, formal hotel chain, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a nice, clean bed and breakfast style hotel with fantastic, friendly service, look no further.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Garden House made our trip to Cusco all the more pleasurable. Ceci is an amazing hostess and went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay, saw as much as possible, received great insight and guidance to the area, and much more ! Our days were meticulously planned out, always starting with a wonderful breakfast; and ending with cups of hot coca tea. Even when we were too tired to head into Cusco for dinner, Ceci would come up with recommendations for home delivery. In fact, every place that she sent us to turned out to be fabulous and allowed us to enjoy the local scene to the maximum potential.

We stayed 4 nights over two occasions, with a break to Machu Picchu in between. Without Ceci and the Garden House our experience would not have been as tremendous. There is an advantage to staying downtown closer to the main square of Cusco, but you would never benefit from the personal experience that Ceci offers. I am sure it is unparalleled.

Couldn't recommend The Garden House more highly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JanePSept13
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We loved staying at The Garden House! Traveling to Peru for the first time my sister Joan, and friend Jane, and I were well taken care of by Ceci. Our days were planned out by Ceci with tours and tour guides (loved Tanya!). Recommendations for lunch and dinner were equally wonderful. Thank you Ceci for all you did for us! You made our visit to Peru exceptional! Best, Marie

Room Tip: When bringing American dollars ask your bank to give you new bills ... Peruvians will not take any b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

How can I describe the experience that me and my wife had at The Garden House?
We've felt like we were in one of our family members house. Just like everyone is saying in there comments, Ceci took care of EVERYTHING. Before my trip to Cusco, Ceci schedule and organized our tour to Machu Picchu (minivan - train - bus - personal guide) and a tour to the Sacred Valle so when we got there we didn't have to worry about anything, and man, me and my wife had one of the most amazing experience of our lifes. Breakfast was delicius. The room is big and cosy.
If you plan to go to Cusco someday, The Garden House is the place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Felipe_yd
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights either side of us doing the Inca Trail in late July 2013 and this was our favourite place to stay during our 4 week trip by a country mile.

Ok, so you get picked up from the airport and you are quickly having your bags taken out of the car and to your room as Ceci and Doris greet you with big smiles; and a hug if I remember correctly?!

The place has a really nice feel about it, the decor is well done and maintained well, our room was spacious enough with a walk through wardrobe area into the bathroom where hot water can be slow in coming but always arrives!!

I had my card cloned in Cusco so had to spend some time on the phone to my bank which Ceci did for me from their phones, a genuine concern was shown and it was nice to have an ally through my panic!

The breakfasts again were the best had in our trip, fresh eggs and as a european I must say the bacon was incredible! Also there was fresh breads and toast, coffee and tea, fresh juices and homemade cereals, a great way to kick the day off! I was shocked when we awoke at 4:30am for the Inca Tail only to see that Doris was already up making some food and drink for us, what a star she is!!

Ceci has great knowledge of the area and picked out the best places to see and where to eat, shop etc.

If I had to be forced into any negatives Id be hard pushed but I guess you can't get away from the location that is a little way from town centre. However, the journey is only 10 to 15 minutes in and Ceci and Doris give you a mobile phone which you can call them and they will arrange for a taxi to pick you up from wherever you are for a fixed fee of 10 soles. We found being out of town was nice as it was so quiet and felt like a haven of tranquility amongst Cuscos noise and exhaust fumes.

The final shot of Ceci and Doris' unforgettable hospitality came after we had said our goodbyes and me and my better half were arguing at the gate about the whereabouts of the passport holder which contained our driving licenses and yellow fever cards, no idea, lost. Then I looked over the desk at the check in and saw the bloody thing there, "oh I must have left it in the plane on our flight in and the great people of TACA have stored it for us after seeing our onward flight, very thoughtful of them" But oh no, Ceci or Doris had seen we left it, and Ceci had driven after us in her car as we were in the taxi but we had already gone though security so she arranged for it to get put behind the desk for us!! What an angel that woman is!

Ok, so do I need to say anymore? Get it booked!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple