“Not quite as good as I thought”
Review of Piccola Locanda

Piccola Locanda
Ranked #37 of 463 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Not quite as good as I thought”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

A lot of people rave about Piccola Locanda, and there are some nice things. You get lovely views from the roof terrace and there are some nice personal touches in design and decor.
However, I wasn't as wowed as many others. It might be different if you know the owners but I didn't feel particulary welcome. Not that the staff were unfriendly but I had better experiences in other guest houses in Peru. Also, my room faced the courtyard they have and was quite dark and you also get the noise from everybody heading to the kitchen/restaurant.
Breakfast is from 7am but many people in Cusco have early starts to go to Machu Picchu and they don't offer like a packed breakfast like other places do.
To sum up, I'd probably stay somewhere else if I return to Cusco, maybe in the San Blas area which looks like a lot of fun.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Pistoia, Italy
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Amazing view and really good service in this little charming B&B. You'll feel really at home.
We stayed there a week and we have been gently served in everything we needed.
And there's also a restaurant with good food and kind people, who can help also to plan yur visit.
The place is decorated in a really nice way. And the money you pay are, in part, used to help poor children or various associations of Cusco.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We had high expectations for Piccola Locanda. They were all met!
The hotel is located in the upper part of Cusco on top of the Resbalosa street. By the way, I strongly suggest getting off at the Cristobal church so you can go down the staira. We had to go carry our luggage up the very steep Resbalosa street:not very pleasant!
But it is worth it.
The hostal is very cute, well decorated. Located in a quiet area with an amazing view of Cusco while giving you an easy access to the city life (5 minutes to the Plaza de Armas).
The rooms are very very clean, full of character and welll equiped with additional blankets and a portable heater.
Thanks to Camilo and his staff for everything: from my Nutella pizza craving to the safekeeping of my luggage while on trek.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank aclevert
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had a great stay in the Alex room, 2 days before the Inca Trail and 1 day after.

It started with e-mail communication. They quickly confirmed my booking when I first made it. Then, when I double-checked before traveling, they were again quick to confirm.

When I was there, the people at the front desk were helpful. Even when I was up at 4 in the morning, there was always someone there to ask if I needed anything.

All of my showers had hot water. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. The internet worked. I even video chatted on my phone from the room. They held my extra bag while I was on the Inca Trail.

The one down-side to Piccola Locanda is the stairs leading up to it. They're no joke. If you take a taxi, make sure it drops you off at San Cristobal Church, then you have a shorter walk down toward the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank abseiltravel
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights in Piccola Locanda. We booked a private double room, and were happily surprised to find the room came with a private bath, towels, a space heater, and a great view of the inner terrace area. The decor of the hostel is cheerful and colorful, and everything felt very well taken care of and cozy. The adjoining restaurant area makes for a great breakfast space in the morning, and a delicious and friendly pizza/Italian restaurant at night (which was a great discovery when we arrived in Cusco late at night, hungry, and too tired to venture out). The activity board was also filled with offerings of things to do, and were we not booked up for our entire trip already, we would've joined in on some of the activities for sure. In addition to all the normal expectations, they also kept our luggage for us free of charge while we hiked the Inca trail for four days, even though we were staying in another hostel upon our return.

The only things to be warned about beforehand are that they don't have a way to purchase bottled water in the hostel (which is not too big a downside, as there are many convenience shops nearby) and there is a very lengthy, steep, staired alleyway between the hostel and the main plaza. At this altitude and after some intense trekking, the climb can be particularly exhausting, but take it slow and you'll make it, even with all your bags.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very nice place to stay and relax before and after the Machu pichu trek. They can keep your bags and they offer good tours in the sacred valley as well. The rooms each have à personality. The breakfast was one of the best we had in Peru. Or you Ars mot afraid to share à bathroom I will strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights here and really enjoyed it! Nice location, about a 10 min walk up from the plaza. It is steep with many steps, but the view on the rooftop patio is worth it! We stayed in the Alex room and were really quite comfortable. This room is in the back, with a private staircase leading up to it from the interior courtyard. We really appreciated all the attention to detail at the hostel, including the heater in our room! There are also items for sale supporting local artists.

If you keep walking up past the hostel and take a right at the first road, you will be led right to the main entrance of the Sacsayhuaman Ruins. It is about a 10 - 15 min walk. There is a really neat restaurant there at the entrance that has a patio overlooking Cusco.

This is a really neat place to stay! High recommendation!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple