“Service 5 STARS”
Review of Hotel Torre Dorada

Hotel Torre Dorada
Ranked #6 of 170 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This place has hands down the best service I have EVER experienced at a a hotel. (I need white noise to sleep and ata 9 p.m took me into the town and helped me find a solution.) The hotel itself is quite cute and breakfast had several options. Rooms were above average for Peru with HOT water. The place was relatively quiet, except for a barking dog in the middle of the night...but strays run wild, so not much you can do about that and not nearly as bad as some other properties I stayed in. Outside of the city center by 15 minute car ride, but hotel does provide free transport to/from wherever.

1  Thank ALWAYSTRAVELWELL
There are newer reviews for Hotel Torre Dorada

Reviewed June 2, 2013

There are a lot of good reviews for this small hotel. I only can repeat that it is nicely decorated, rooms are clean and quite, breakfast good and there is a free shuttle to the center of Cusco. The staff is the most helpful and carring team we have ever met in any hotel. The breakfast starts at 7 am, but they open the kittchen to make hot coffee at 5 am and the next day full breakfast at 6 am for us and other early departing guests. We had feeling that we stay in a house of friends. We highly recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms, they were equally good.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We booked based on the rating and were immediately disappointed. I'll really check ratings from now on and check several sites. The location sucks, the walls are like paper, the rooms are barely larger than closets, our view was of a concrete wall, the dogs woke us up barking in the square across the street. Yes there is a shuttle, but why on earth for the same price wouldn't you stay close the the main square at a place like Tambo del Arriero?

2  Thank ohdoggy
Torre D, Owner at Hotel Torre Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Guest:
We only had the pleasure of your visit for just few hours. You arrived late in the evening and left very early. The people from the Agency who brought you thought we did not speak English and they were telling you how bad the location was and many other bad things that only showed their prejudice against us (Torre Dorada). The location is the most SECURE and PEACEFUL in the whole of Cusco as we had a Film company that did a Film in Cusco and brought USD 500.000 worth in equipment and they decided that this was the most secure place to keep this equipment. You probably in good faith thought they wanted the best for you but by telling you all these things they achieved their purpose which was to take you to another hotel where they would get a commission.
Thank you for taking the time to write a bad comment, this only certifies that your comment is the exception to the rule.
Our rule is to make all the best for our guests, we are so well prepared that we have even saved other peoples life by giving them proper advise and medical attention when needed. We will keep being the home away from home for all of our future guests, by taking care of every single detail that is necessary to make their visit the most enjoyable experience.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is a real gem - particularly for the cost. The staff is great, the place is SPOTLESS, and the small tidy rooms have all necessary amenities (including bottled water in the bathroom).

Pros:
Shuttle service - if you're worried that it is a bit far out of the way from the main square/tourist areas, you shouldn't be. The hotel offers shuttle service to and from the main square, as well as to the airport. On our last day in town, we had a 4ish p.m. flight and we wanted to do some more sightseeing before we left. After we checked out, the staff arranged to hold our bags for us while we spent the morning sightseeing; then for the shuttle to pick us up in the main square around 2, with our bags in the car, to take us to the airport! Nice!

It's clean and you feel safe. It was quiet, as well. It is located in a mostly residential area.

Breakfast - there is a nice spread in the morning (all labeled helpfully in English and Spanish), plus you can get omelets/eggs cooked. This is one of the only places where we got good coffee: apparently, the owner (a very nice lady you may see at breakfast or at the front desk) spent time in Europe and takes her coffee seriously! Also, you can get tea or bottled water pretty much any time of the day. Drink the coca tea - it supposedly helps with slight altitude sickness. I think they offer oxygen if you suffer from more serious altitude sickness issues.

Amenities - wifi, bottled water, all the standard bathroom toiletries (except I don't remember seeing conditioner, which I noticed at other places; I have long hair so I always bring it conditioner, anyway), hairdryer. Beds are comfortable. There are little sitting rooms with tea services and tvs (if I remember correctly!) on each floor.

Cons:
I actually can't think of anything that wasn't good. We were there during the off-season, but I bet this place books up quickly during the high season. Check for rooms early.

I would stay at the Torre Dorada again and would recommend it to anyone going to Cusco.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

You will be treated as if you are the only guest, and the intelligent and professional staff members, who all speak excellent English, will do everything they can to accommodate your needs. When I was victimized by a copy-cat Inca Express bus website, they wanted to understand what had happened so that other guests could avoid the same trap, and they helped me straighten it out. After hiking to Machu Picchu it was a pleasure to return home to Torre Dorada and our new family of friends. Thank you to Peggy, the owner, Marco, Martin, and Henry at the front desk, and Mario and Jose, the drivers, for your professionalism and caring service.

Breakfast is more than a generous buffet. Two cooks are on hand to prepare eggs and omelets to order. There is always a variety of fresh fruit, cereal, cheese and cold cuts, several kinds of rolls and bread for toasting, several teas, coffee, cocoa, milk, and juice.

Rooms are not large, but they are spotless and contain everything you need, and the beds are comfortable. As others have mentioned, the walls are a bit thin, but the guests who stay here are quiet and respectful -- no loud or boisterous behavior. I stayed in rooms 204 and 205, and my friend stayed in room 203 on our two visits. I would have been willing to climb more stairs for a room with a view. As other reviewers have pointed out, there is no lift, so if you may be suffering from the altitude, the second floor, where the breakfast room is located, is a good choice.

The only negative consideration. If you will be unhappy if you cannot walk to restaurants and shopping, dont stay here.

The hotel is in a quiet residential area, where it is safe to walk, but it is a 10 minute drive to the restaurants, shops, and sights you will want to visit. Peggy eliminated this factor for me and most guests by providing 24-hour drivers who will take you anywhere inside the city for no charge. I gave small tips, which they greatly appreciated. They took us to the bus for our Inca Trail trek at 4:15 AM. I much preferred the Torre Doradas quiet neighborhood to the constant traffic, honking horns, noisy people, and ever present hucksters around the Plaza de Armas.

An owner who is a hands-on manager often ensures good service, and Peggy has taken service to a new level by hiring excellent people, training them well, and showing them how to make guests happy and at ease. I agree with the reviewer who said larger hotels should send their staff to the Torre Dorada for training. If I planned a return trip to Cusco, I would not consider staying anywhere else, regardless of the size of my travel budget. The Torre Dorada is an excellent value, and you cannot buy its level of personal attention at any price.

Room Tip: No lift, so choose a second floor room if stairs will give you trouble. The three rooms we occupied...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My brother and I stayed here for 5 nights on our way to Machu Pichu (and return). The free shuttle service to the downtown was excellent and it was much quieter staying away from the centre of the city. Breakfast was fantastic. The hotel was very clean and safe. The staff were all very helpful and the guys on the front desk all spoke excellent english (and they were great at letting me practice my spanish with them). Recomendations for restaurants and activities were also most helpful.

Room Tip: rooms on the top floor are surprisingly hard to access when you are adjusting to the altitude. ie yo...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Exceeded my expectations. The friendliest staff I have ever encountered in the dozens of hotels I have stayed in worldwide. Very clean, small rooms with nice shower, comfy beds and a desk to sit at. Free bottled water. Free shuttle service to anywhere in Cusco. Free delicious breakfast with made to order omelets, cereal, coffee, juices, and great pastries every morning. And very reasonably priced. One small drawback is the thin walls but overall a very quiet hotel. You will not be disappointed. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Any room is good but try for the third floor.