“A haven with superb customer service”
Review of Hotel Torre Dorada

Hotel Torre Dorada
Ranked #5 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed May 30, 2013

You will be treated as if you are the only guest, and the intelligent and professional staff members, who all speak excellent English, will do everything they can to accommodate your needs. When I was victimized by a copy-cat Inca Express bus website, they wanted to understand what had happened so that other guests could avoid the same trap, and they helped me straighten it out. After hiking to Machu Picchu it was a pleasure to return home to Torre Dorada and our new family of friends. Thank you to Peggy, the owner, Marco, Martin, and Henry at the front desk, and Mario and Jose, the drivers, for your professionalism and caring service.

Breakfast is more than a generous buffet. Two cooks are on hand to prepare eggs and omelets to order. There is always a variety of fresh fruit, cereal, cheese and cold cuts, several kinds of rolls and bread for toasting, several teas, coffee, cocoa, milk, and juice.

Rooms are not large, but they are spotless and contain everything you need, and the beds are comfortable. As others have mentioned, the walls are a bit thin, but the guests who stay here are quiet and respectful -- no loud or boisterous behavior. I stayed in rooms 204 and 205, and my friend stayed in room 203 on our two visits. I would have been willing to climb more stairs for a room with a view. As other reviewers have pointed out, there is no lift, so if you may be suffering from the altitude, the second floor, where the breakfast room is located, is a good choice.

The only negative consideration. If you will be unhappy if you cannot walk to restaurants and shopping, dont stay here.

The hotel is in a quiet residential area, where it is safe to walk, but it is a 10 minute drive to the restaurants, shops, and sights you will want to visit. Peggy eliminated this factor for me and most guests by providing 24-hour drivers who will take you anywhere inside the city for no charge. I gave small tips, which they greatly appreciated. They took us to the bus for our Inca Trail trek at 4:15 AM. I much preferred the Torre Doradas quiet neighborhood to the constant traffic, honking horns, noisy people, and ever present hucksters around the Plaza de Armas.

An owner who is a hands-on manager often ensures good service, and Peggy has taken service to a new level by hiring excellent people, training them well, and showing them how to make guests happy and at ease. I agree with the reviewer who said larger hotels should send their staff to the Torre Dorada for training. If I planned a return trip to Cusco, I would not consider staying anywhere else, regardless of the size of my travel budget. The Torre Dorada is an excellent value, and you cannot buy its level of personal attention at any price.

Room Tip: No lift, so choose a second floor room if stairs will give you trouble. The three rooms we occupied...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,526)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My brother and I stayed here for 5 nights on our way to Machu Pichu (and return). The free shuttle service to the downtown was excellent and it was much quieter staying away from the centre of the city. Breakfast was fantastic. The hotel was very clean and safe. The staff were all very helpful and the guys on the front desk all spoke excellent english (and they were great at letting me practice my spanish with them). Recomendations for restaurants and activities were also most helpful.

Room Tip: rooms on the top floor are surprisingly hard to access when you are adjusting to the altitude. ie yo...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Exceeded my expectations. The friendliest staff I have ever encountered in the dozens of hotels I have stayed in worldwide. Very clean, small rooms with nice shower, comfy beds and a desk to sit at. Free bottled water. Free shuttle service to anywhere in Cusco. Free delicious breakfast with made to order omelets, cereal, coffee, juices, and great pastries every morning. And very reasonably priced. One small drawback is the thin walls but overall a very quiet hotel. You will not be disappointed. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Any room is good but try for the third floor.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Ignore the reviews from people who wanted a 5 star hotel for a 2 star price If you want a huge room, elevators, heaters, and high speed internet there are plenty of places to stay for $400 a night. This is a modestly priced ($120/night) hotel about 2-3 miles from downtown (Plaza de Armes) with free car rides 24/7. Rooms are small; no doubt though as noted there are rooms on each floor to stretch out if you like. But the rooms are small. I never understood the need for a large room you're just going to sleep in but that's up to you. Staff is super friendly and helpful and offer tons of great advice. The decor modern and cheerful. The place is spotless. If you want a modestly priced hotel with superb service and not downtown this is a great choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The good things were that a 24hr shuttle was provided to and from central plaza; the hotel was very clean. The OK things were the breakfast served by efficient staff and the free wifi that was sometimes very slow. The worst thing for us was the room ~ there were 2 of us and we were given a room on top floor (no lift) with 3 beds. The size was about 2.5m X 3m swinging a cat would not have been possible. There were heavy blankets on bed, no duvet, the small plug in heater did not really make the room comfy especially first thing in morning, bathroom and bedroom very dated. It was like going to visit an elderly relative - someone who wanted to give you a good time but who time had passed by.

Room Tip: Dont chose top floor there is no lift
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at Cusco and we stayed at Torre Dorada for the whole trip. We read some of the reviews here at TripAdvisor and they all showed the quality of the hotel. I strongly recommend this place.

The hotel is very clean and safe. Staff are great: they treat you like you are one of their friends, making you feel at home during your stay. Everyone there did their best to provide us a great experience while in town (especially in the first days of our stay, when my wife got altitude sickness and they provide her with everything she needed to get better).

The drivers were amazing: they drive us around the city, pick us up at the airport and at the train station, recommended some good places to eat and to have a nice view of the city. Front desk staff were also very friendly: we were there the week before Easter and they took their time to explain us about local traditions. The lady from the kitchen was absolutely fantastic: strongly recommend to have a light lunch or dinner at the hotel.

The hotel provides free airport shuttle, they drive you anywhere, any time in the city (the hotel is a little distant from the main square). There's a pleasant breakfast in the early morning, free wifi. And the hot water really works - which was very important, as the weather was a little cold.

I don't know why this is not a 5-star property. It should be. Some of the 5-stars hotels around the world should come to Cusco to learn how to treat a customer.

Great value. Great experience. Strongly recommend Hotel Torre Dorada and this will be my choice next time I go back to Cusco.

Room Tip: Walls are a bit thin, so maybe a higher floor should provide more silence.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MMV_RJ
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Torre Dorada is a nice, safe and clean hotel. But what distinguishes it from any and all hotels I've ever stayed at is its service and the care that is provided by the staff. Peggy, the owner, treats the customers like friends, if not family. Anyone from the kitchen to the front desk to the drivers are very friendly and helpful. Very accommodating and professional service is coupled with honesty and care.

One of the best things is the free transportation to and from the hotel to anywhere in Cusco - the airport, downtown, restaurants, etc... The rooms are nice and the bonus is the small sitting area with a TV on each floor that adds living space for the guests. The breakfast is very good, specially compared to other places we stayed at in Peru.

Both my son and I got altitude sickness on two separate days while in Cusco and Peggy came to our room herself to administer the oxygen and monitor our heart rate etc... and stayed until she felt comfortable that we were fine.

If you want to stay at a place where you will have local people caring for you and treating you the way you would like to be treated, look no further. Thank you again Mario, Marco, Aunt Peggy and everyone else!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family