“Amazing Place to Visit”

California
“Amazing Place to Visit”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Maybe the most beautiful natural place to visit in Cusco after Machu Picchu,
Now on january is rain a litle in Cusco but this is not an impediment to visit Maras Mora and Salt of mine

Visited January 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So cool”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was a great site to see that we originally didnt think we would include in our plan. We ended up going there with the idea in mind that it would just be OK but we loved it so much we bought salt to take back home!

Visited January 2013
Morrisville, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“To tie in with my Moray comment.....FANTASTIC!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I combined Moray with Salinas de Maras. As I inadvertently talked about salinas de maras for moray, I will talk about moray now. This was an amazing site with so much history. It was amazing to witness early time science of how plants cope at different temperatures. It is really cool! However, make sure you are in decent shape as the altitude sickness really affected me on this portion of the trip.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Mindy C
Dublin, Ireland
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Incan Salt mines. This place is huge and worth a visit.

It seems like this is an option on most tours organised from Cuzco. It's an interesting place but its usually a rushed stop.

Visited October 2012
Wiesbaden, Germany
179 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Another amazing example of Inca engineering”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

First, we got here as part of a bike tour that also took us to Moray. I would HIGHLY recommend finding a biking tour if you are in ok shape and a fan of biking. Even though my wife and I hadn't ridden a bike in 10 years, it all came back to us and we had an absolute blast! The bike tour ended here. It is at the end of a long and dusty narrow gravel road (which was terrifying on bike with tour buses blasting past). At first, high up on the hill, you can't even tell what it is. But as you get closer you see that all of the white is salt. This is an ancient salt mine! There is a small trickle
of water that becomes a small, salty stream. The Inca built the baths to capture the water and let the sun evaporate the water and leave behind the salt. It is very cool to see. You can walk among the salt baths (not in of course!) and the locals still mine it. You will probably see them down there scraping salt. I don't think I would pick this as a destination alone but it is great as part of a tour. Seriously, I recommend biking there. It was just a bit chilly (spring) and just a gorgeous ride through small villages and ending at this impressive salt mine.

Visited October 2012