“Great location and loved the breakfast staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Amaru Hostal

Amaru Hostal
Ranked #34 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Victoria, Canada
“Great location and loved the breakfast staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Amaru Hostal for 5 nights in May 2013. They were very helpful during the booking process, and also helped us to buy Machu Picchu tickets before we arrived in Cusco. The rate included a free airport pickup, which went smoothly. It’s in a great location, on the edge of the pretty (and hilly) San Blas area, but just a few minutes walk down to the Plaza de Armas. There are lots of good restaurants nearby. Our room was close to the reception area in the older part of the building. It had a lot of character, but no windows and was rather dark. We were going up to Machu Picchu for 2 days then returning to the hotel, so I asked at the front desk if we could possibly get one of the brighter rooms in the back courtyard when we came back. I was told there was no problem and that they could definitely do that. However, when we returned, none of those rooms were available – apparently the person I spoke to had not recorded my request! The breakfast was very good (juice, bread, egg, and fruit) and the ladies running the breakfast were always hardworking, helpful, and cheerful. The cleaning staff were also great. My only quibble would be that some of the front desk staff had a strange, rather unhelpful attitude. Overall, though, I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We reserved at Amaru Hostel nine weeks before our arrival. When we arrived the desk said that Amaru was full and that Booking.com was always confused between Amaru and Amaru 2. According to Amaru our reservation was really at Amaru 2. This was two blocks farther from Plaza de Armas than we had planned.

A check of Booking.com the next day showed rooms in both Amaru and Amaru 2. The room we were put in was a small double on the steet. The window on the steet did not open and the one opening window opened onto an enclosed terrace and was 12 inch square. We had contacted Amaru regarding transport a month before our trip about our arrival, but they still did not notify us about a hotel change. After asking them why they failed to give us an opportunity to look for an alternative, they moved us to a better room at Amaru 2.

My opinion is that they bait with Amaru and switch to Amaru 2 to keep the best rooms open. Or it could be that they just are incompetent in managing reservations. They claim Booking.com responsible, but there was sufficient time to clarify with us before arrival. I will avoid and wil recommend avoiding any Amaru Group hotels in the future.

E. Dougherty
Seattle, WA USA

Room Tip: It probably does not matter what you request, they will put you where it suits them.
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SeattleEuphoric
new orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. The rooms were kept very clean, the front desk staff (and all staff for that matter) were nice and helpful and the breakfast was great. Some folks said the coffee was too strong but frankly I thought it was delicious.
My room was nice with an amazing view.
The location couldn't be beat...in San Blas but maybe 5 minutes to Plaza de Armas walking.
I have 2 small complaints---for the price, the bathroom could be better. There was quite a bit of mold on the walls in my bathroom and the shower head wasn't working correctly. But otherwise it was clean, there was hot water and it was a perfectly functioning bathroom.
Second complaint....they decided to strip and re-varnish the floors in a few rooms over the days I was there. That is not a pleasant experience. The smell of the chemicals was so intense I couldn't enjoy sitting outside at any point. I know they must do things like that at some point but it was so strong. I'm pretty sure I got high!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chehlare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Good location, quaint decor, vacant amateur front desk staff and cold rooms. We stayed here 4 nights and will not return. Improvised bathroom with view of the courtyard and vice-versa. Nice for adventurous youngsters maybe but if you want a bit of comfort and furniture that does not fall apart, go elsewhere. Breakfast too spartan to call it a good start of the day.

Room Tip: Don't go here, there is plenty of choice in Cusco
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The staff makes this a great place. Very accomodating and helpful. The two women in the kitchen during breakfast were always so pleasant and the breakfast was pretty good. The rooms could be a little loud and I was surprised I had to pay for a space heater and a local phone call. Location was convenient for walking to museums, restaurants and shopping is everywhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first courtyard are nice but guests starting hikes/tours mean early am noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was the first accommodation I stayed at for my 3 weeks South American trip, Having travelled 25 hours or so including transit (4 flights from where I live to Cusco!), it was great to relax in a hotel with great character, beautiful courtyard and complimentary Coca tea. Very friendly staff and convenient location. I would recommend to anyone on a sensible budget.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel was good, great location, nice rooms - even though was very cold but a heater was provided upon request, good service, average breakfast but very fresh. The staff as superb. The rooms can be a little bit loud early at night but later - on is no problem. The hotel is kept very clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cusco
Los Apus Hotel & Mirador
Hotel Golden Inca
Hotel Golden Inca
#35 of 162 in Cusco
Tierra Viva Cusco San Blas

Been to Amaru Hostal? Share your experiences!