“Large, Clean Rooms”

Ranked #33 of 163 Hotels in Cusco
Luck Hill, Tortola
“Large, Clean Rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Due to scheduling problems, my husband and I ended up staying at three different hotels in Cusco, all in the San Blas neighborhood, and all in the same price range $55-60 per night. Of the three, the rooms in Amaru were definitely our favorite. Monastery-style furnishings provided plenty of places to stow our stuff, and the bed was definitely the most comfortable we had in Cusco, with extra pillows provided upon request. The bathroom was also the best by far, recently remodeled with new fixtures and a large shower, for which my 6'5" husband was extra-grateful.

The only downsides for us were the additional $3 per night for a space heater, an amenity that was included in most of our other accommodations throughout Peru, and the less-than-friendly service at the front desk. Service was still good and competent, but in a country where the friendliness of the people was the most memorable aspect, Amaru staff didn't quite live up to the rest.

Overall, a highly recommended accommodation in the heart of Cusco.

Room Tip: 2nd story room was quiet until housekeeping service began around 8:00am
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lale0naen0jada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights total (1 before Machu Picchu and 2 after), and were lucky to get the penthouse room for all 3 (I think room #24?). We were considering other hotels closer to the main square for about $100 a night but I'm glad we chose this place instead.

PROS
- Great location. Just a 5 minute walk from the main square. Others mentioned that it was an uphill walk but honestly it only starts turning uphill towards the very end 1/2 block - the rest is mostly flat or just a slight slope that isn't bad at all. The San Blas area is quite charming and has restaurants, shops, etc.
- Cheap. We paid $60/night.
- Nice staff. The staff was both helpful and very friendly to us.
- Clean. Both bedroom and bathroom were very clean.
- Penthouse room was spacious and had great views. There were 2 beds - 1 single, 1 double/queen as well as a little chair/sitting area in the corner. Lots of windows offering great views both in the day and night. No idea how other rooms compare.
- Free breakfast was fruit with yoghurt and cereal grains on top (tasty) + your choice of eggs.
- We didn't have any issue with noise from other rooms but maybe the ground floor rooms are worse?
- Free coca tea. And you can buy bottled water from the front desk (small or big bottles) at a decent price which was convenient.

CONS
- For the penthouse room, be aware that there are some steep stairs to get up to the room after going through the front door. Gets a little tricky with luggage but the staff helped us with luggage most of the time and I'm sure they would help if you asked.
- Can get a little cold in the rooms if it's a chilly night. You need to pay $3 a night extra for a small space heater which only works OK. We only had 1 night where we really needed the heater and took the covers from the other bed as well. The other 2 nights were OK without a heater but the weather was only mild.

We did also use their laundry service which was an OK price and convenient.

All in all i would definitely stay here again but would of course request the penthouse room since I'm assuming it's one of the nicer ones.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whereugoin
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had a very nice stay here. Great location and staff, combined with no problems and warm beds make it an A+ in my book! The courtyards are very pleasant and plenty of coca tea make its nice to spend time outside. The breakfast is tasty as well.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank OtterWynn
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Here is my review, I staid 3 nights there in 2 different single rooms :
++ Convenient location very close to Plaza de armas, cathedral, restaurants, etc
++ Convenient to book the room in advance, possible to book through internet
+ Free pick up at the airport
+ Nice garden, breakfast included in the price
+ Clean room, comfortable bed, nice furniture
- Room noisy (rooms at the ground floor), difficult to have a full night even with hear plugs :(
- Quite expensive in the end
- Pick up free from the airport only, don't expect a free pick from the train station
-- People at the front desk helpful but not "very nice"..a smile from time to time would be welcome

Room Tip: 1st floor should be more quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I spent one night here. The hotel arranged someone to meet me at the airport which was comforting.

Our room was clean and orderly. There is no heat and hot water only in the shower (pressure could've been better). The room also had a small LCD tv for viewing.

The hotel is in a lovely garden setting. Wifi in our room was extremely weak so I often didn't bother. The hotel's computer shuts down at 10pm for some reason. There's a short walk up a steep staircase to get to the hotel. It's not very long but it felt so high up on the hill with my altitude sickness!! I am pretty fit and I was heavy breathing only after a few steps! Locations is only a few blocks away from the Plaza de Armas though so if you can get over altitude sickness, this place should be on for you!

• Stayed September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here before and after our trip on the Inca Trail. The place was exactly like it was pictured. My only two complaints were that the rooms were not heated. Apparently this is standard, but I was not aware of it. You can rent a heater, but in truth we didn't because we did not get too cold. We also had a problem with the hot water in our second room, but we were able to switch to another without any problem. For the money, I think it is reasonable. The location is good, expect for a slight hill that you have to climb. The climb up is not the problem, rather the downing down is. The sidewalk is incredibly slick and at some point everyone in our party almost hit the deck.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cusco, Peru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

These people do not know what hospitality means. My family and I had just arrived to Cusco and just wanted to rest and adjust to the altitude in our room, and for a straight week they were doing construction right outside our room ALL day and even after sunset. They were still adding things to our room while we were in there. It was the loudest, noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in. Not relaxing at all. I couldn't even ask them to boil hot water to make my own tea. All they care about is scrubbing the floors here. I asked them to reboot the internet for me and they wouldn't do that either. The worst of all, which is probably the most concerning to you.. they gave us back a fake s./100 in our deposit. We did not realize until the day later when we tried to use it, and when we returned to complain the woman at the desk accused us of threatening her. Please, what business does not check their bills? I would not support them ever again.

Room Tip: Just don't even go here. I recommend Andean South just down the street, near San Blas.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Emily S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cusco
Los Apus Hotel & Mirador
Hotel Golden Inca
Hotel Golden Inca
#37 of 163 in Cusco
Tierra Viva Cusco San Blas

Been to Amaru Hostal? Share your experiences!