“Perfect stay”

Ranked #34 of 167 Hotels in Cusco
australia
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

There is a good reason why Amaru is rated so highly on trip advisor! After seeing these reviews, we booked and it even managed to exceede our expectations. This is a hostel only by name with 5 star hotel service. From word go, the staff at this accommodation were exceptional including the front desk staff, breakfast staff, the gardeners and cleaners. Each day your room is cleaned and sanitized to perfection and I felt extremely comfortable leaving my things in the room. It is a very safe, clean and great value place to stay. The beds are extremely comfortable also. The location is great and central. Don't miss eating at Jack's cafe on the corner while you are there. Highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Drea3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Amaru Hostal is a beautiful spanish compound right in the heart of Cusco's San Blas neighborhood. The building itself is gorgeous and well maintained. We had a room overlooking the interior garden, and the cityscape. Ask for a room on the second floor if you can. And make sure to specify that you want to stay in Amaru Hostal #1. We were really happy with our experience here - the room was clean, and the staff was very nice and proactive about making our stay in Cusco a great one. It also had a TV with english channels and a wifi signal in the room. In retrospect, I would have asked if a heater could be brought to the room. It was soooo cold, I had to wear several layers at all times. I think in most hotels in Peru, you can request a heater. I didn't realize this until the end of the trip. I can't talk about Cusco without mentioned that you must make a reservation at Ciccolina. One of the best meals of my life!

Room Tip: Second floor interior courtyard room of Amaru #1
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phillytraveller24
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I was travelling alone (it was unexexpected thos way and i'm a 23 year-old woman), everyone helped me when my travel agency wasn't on time or clear. The free wi-fi and free hot coca tea at all hours were a plus! Thanks for a warm welcome and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Bluestar04
KE
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Really nice hostel and rooms. Clean! Very nice and helpful personal. Location is as well very good. If you want to save some money you can have a look also at Mallqui. The same hostel chain as Amaru, the same standard. We have stayed longer as we planned in Cusco and unfortunately Amaru was booked out so we got offer to stay at Mallqui and I can recommend this hostel as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed October 25, 2011

From our internet connections to our final day Amaru Hostal was great! We stayed in both 1 and 2. Four nights in Amaru 2 before our Inca Trail and two nights in Amaru 1 after our trek. We loved them both. They are the same price but #1 is a little fancier, #2 a little more casual feeling. I liked the location of both as they had different plus's/minus/s. #1 is closer to the Plaza des Armas and right in the middle of a great area but #2 isn't far either and has you walking through other interesting areas. We always had hot water although the water pressure is kind of weak. The breakfast is the same at both, simple but good. You get one egg, fruit and yogurt, white buns with jam, coffee and tea. I think you can have more eggs for a small price. This is the typical "American Breakfast" that you will find everywhere. I like whole grains and so gave my husband my egg and I had some instant oatmeal (that I brought with me from home) with my yogurt and fruit. We were there in September and it was on the cold side with no heat in the room. I found I got use to it and we were never cold sleeping because they have very warm comforters on the bed. (might be feather so if you have allergies, you might want to ask about that). They were good about picking us up at the airport, even when we didn't make it in as planned because our airlines stopped flying there (Peruvian Airlines). We sent them an email from the Lima Airport. They didn't respond but they were there to get us when we arrived in 7 hours later. They were helpful when we needed directions and told us about some good restaurants. Amaru 2 safely stored our luggage when we went on our trek and made sure they were transferred to Amaru 1 before we returned so they were waiting in our room when we arrived. I was also able to borrow a blowdryer a couple of times as my "tiny little travel dryer" burned up even with an adaptor. A great place, we loved it all.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
berlin
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I cannot imagine a better place fot this money.
The room was simple, no luxery but very nice and for bagpacking standard it wa a luxery ;-)
Beautiful patio, you feel like in a garden. Charming & romantic place, quiet, great atmosphere, no stupid loud tourists, absolutely central.

Breakfasts were simple but tasty.

Service very nice.

Coca tee was always there.

A bit cold in the night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed October 15, 2011

This was a pleasant place when we stayed on the second floor with a scenic view of Cusco. The staff was very professional and helpful. The staff arranged for transport to the train station, and had a driver pick us up on our return from Machu picchu. We did stay in a lower room that had stone walls, and a stained glass wall to the bathroom, very artsy. Sadly it also had a strong sewer smell. Also all the rooms have bathroom doors with frosted glass panels. Not for the shy! So avoid the lower floors! Near the plaza de Armas. Walked by the famed 12 cornered wall stone several times a day. Good burgers at nearby Cafe Inca (run by a crazy lady).

Room Tip: The nice rooms are on the second floor of the courtyard. Oddly the bathroom doors have frosted glas...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cusco
Amaru Valle Hotel
Tierra Viva Cusco San Blas
Hotel Rumi Punku
Hotel Rumi Punku
#18 of 167 in Cusco

Been to Amaru Hostal? Share your experiences!