“Amazing experience, excellent tour operator”

Apu Andino - Day Tours
Machu Picchu Full-Day Tour by Vistadome Train
Ranked #27 of 556 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Apu Andino doesn't just create trips, we create memories that last a lifetime. Our philosophy is to combine a high-level of service with authentic experiences. From classic treks to custom itineraries off the beaten track, we get you closer: closer to the land, closer to the people, closer to the stories which form the past and present of Peru.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We’ve just returned from a 6 day Vilcabamba trek from the last city Vitcos to the lost city Machu Picchu. One week in the Peruvian Andes without seeing any other tourists! Apu Andino gave us an amazing experience, everything was well organized. The service from our guide Antonio, our cooks Feliciano and Nicholas and the two horseman Elliot and Wilfredo was incredible, thank you so much! We enjoyed every single day, it was one of the best and most beautiful treks we’ve ever done.

1  Thank Frank H
in 23 reviews
"picchu"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I did the 5d/4n Salkantay trip May 2014 with a group of friends. It was a private trek with 10 in our group.

From the beginning, the staff was extremely helpful. They met us at our hotel 2 nights before to go over the logistics. They checked to make sure we didn't need any additional gear which I said no to because I figured I'd rent a sleeping bag in town. After searching the town for a bag, I realized that the bags in the town were in bad shape. We sent Merci an email at 10pm the night before the hike to bring 3 sleeping bags in the morning and she got back promptly to us. She brought them the next day and they were all in great condition. The equipment was in significantly better shape than anything in the town which I appreciated since it can get very cold in the mountains at night.

The entire trek went smoothly and we were led by our knowledgable guide Antonio. The trek was challenging but out entire group made it. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking. Antonio always had a good understanding of how people were doing on the hike and gave easier/harder options for our group. 2 nights he took part of our group on additional treks: one was to a close lake and the other was to a mountain with views of Machu Picchu. Antonio was very knowledgable and always in a good mood. I couldn't have asked for a better guide.

The food was surprisingly good. I had low expectations since we were camping but by the time I had the food I was shocked at how good it was. The meals on this trip were the best I had in Cusco. We had a birthday on the trip and they even baked him a cake for it. I don't know how they did it. The food did not let down and we always had enough after the long hikes during the day.

I'd strongly recommend doing a trek with Apu Andino. If I make it back to Cusco I wouldn't consider another company. They made this the experience of a lifetime.

1  Thank Isaac C
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'll start by saying that an organized trek like this is not something my husband and I really thought we would enjoy. We're very independent travelers and usually prefer to do things on our own. However, our trip to Peru was fairly last minute and we just didn't have the time to pull together an independent trek.

From the beginning, Apu Andino was really helpful. Merci was very responsive to email and accommodating of my questions. It was clear early on that they were very well organized and that we really weren't going to have to worry about anything. Clearly a lot of behind-the-scenes work went on to make the trek successful.

The trek itself was AWESOME. As all the other reviewers suggest, Antonio was great. I can't say enough about him. We had a small group and appreciated that he accommodated this with side trips to lakes and rivers that other, larger groups, weren't making. He was really knowledgeable, answered lots of questions, and offered up a lot of information we wouldn't even thought to have asked about! He was also just really friendly, putting everyone at ease right away and encouraging us at every step. The Felicianos were lovely too, and great cooks!

In the end the trek (ending at Machu Picchu) was certainly the highlight of our trip to Peru and we would highly HIGHLY recommend Apu Andino to anyone considering trekking.

2  Thank Californienne1980
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Not only was the food incredible, views breathtaking, and Antonio so good at figuring out how to make everyone happy--I walked away from this experience feeling emotionally & physically reset. The support for this journey was so unique (from food to feeling ill to life advice) and everything we needed was accounted for. The food was SO GOOD! Also really great that they hire local guys to porter, which supports the highland communities.Thanks Apu Andino, if anyone ever wants to do the Incan trail I'll been recommending you guys for sure!

1  Thank LetsGo066
See more reviews
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was part of the QuigsCalif group. In addition to agreeing with everything that was said in their review I would just like to add that the support was over the top. Everything that we ever needed was accommodated almost immediately - they even had duct tape!

I have friends that have gone with other companies and had heard reports about poor quality equipment; leaking tents and inadequate sleeping bags. With Apu Andino just the opposite is true. The sleeping bags were great and very warm. In addition on two of the nights it rained pretty hard and long and the tent never leaked. Overall I was always dry and warm at night.

The porters were simply a wonderful group of guys who seemed to really enjoy their work and each other company. In addition, our guide Antonio was knowledgable, pleasant, and clearly in charge. He also spoke very good english which came in handy because I speak minimal Spanish. I know that we all talked about how we would love to go back again and take our kids. I can tell you that if we do make another trip that we will definitely go with Apu Andino and request that Antonio be the guide again.

1  Thank JZM1949