“Fantastic experience”

Aspiring Adventures
Ranked #33 of 575 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Aspiring Adventures specializes in unique, in-depth cultural and adventurous experiences. We're based in the heart of Cusco, and have been leading personalized trips in Peru since 2004. We love to share our intimate knowledge of Peru with worldly engaged travelers. Please contact us for more information about exploring Machu Picchu, the Inca Trail, mountain biking, cultural and community-based trips, foodie tours and custom itineraries. Explore the real Peru with Aspiring Adventures! We've been listed here on Trip Advisor since March 2013. We are very grateful to have received so many wonderful reviews from some of our guests who've taken the time to share their experiences with the Trip Advisor community. We work hard to achieve this, and I can assure you that all of our reviews are real, and to prove it, I'd be happy to share contact details of the reviewers (so long as they've allowed us to), so that you can check our references before choosing to do a trip with us. If you have any questions about this, feel free to contact me directly via our website. Kind regards, Steve Wilson Aspiring Adventures
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was the first guided trip that any of our family had done, and we're all fairly seasoned travelers. Aspiring Adventures provided a perfectly scheduled trip for our diverse interests and preferences. The days were full but not too full; the sites were fantastic, and offered a spread of activities and information to keep everyone interested; and the logistics were incredibly smooth. Traveling with a family of varying ages seemed daunting and a bit terrifying at first, but going through Aspiring Adventures honestly allowed us to really enjoy our trip and our time together. The interactions pre-, during and post- trip have been positive and assuring, and the team really did a lot to add a personal touch to the experience. Overall, if you're looking for a well-informed trip to Peru where you don't have to spend half of your time sweating the logistics and getting stuck in tough situations, but you want to avoid the commercial tours, the feeling of being ripped off, and keep things personalized, then Aspiring Adventures is a perfect fit.

Steve W, Owner at Aspiring Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Wow, what a lovely review to read - thank you Miss Johnstone! Your last paragraph about the style of our trips really sums up all we aspire to be, and I'm so delighted that you could notice that.

There's something very special about being a part of helping families who share travel experiences, and to read that you were able to focus on enjoying your time together - even in spite of your different ages, interests and abilities - is simply fantastic. I know we've succeeded in our mission when I read reviews like this, so, thank you for choosing to travel with us, and all the best for your future adventures!

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"detailed itinerary"
"cusco office"

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had an excellent day trip from Cusco , taking in the moray ruins and salinas salt pans. the mountain bikes were of the quality promised , mine was brand new and the scenery was fantastic The route enabled our mixed ability group to enjoy at different speeds but equally satisfying. Our guide Ronnie was informative and helpful.
A great day out

Thank you for the review of your Moray to Salineras one-day mountain biking trip, Peter! I'm delighted that you had a great day of biking, and also that you enjoyed the use of our dual-suspension Scott Spark bikes - they're a sweet ride eh!

One of the cool thing about the trails we operate on and guides like Ronald is the opportunity for riders of different abilities to enjoy differing degrees of terrain at their own pace. I hope that your day with us was a highlight of your time in Peru!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We did a private tour with Aspiring Adventures. We had 11 people in our family group ranging in age from 18-51. Aspiring Adventures did a truly amazing job setting up the trip. The specific tours were topnotch, the lodgings terrific and the food delicious. The overall logistic were handled extremely well. Given the level of professionalism Steve and Katy have created at Aspiring Adventures, it should be no surprise how pleased were all were with our guide, Aldo. Aldo has the emotional intelligence to engage any group, even one as eclectic as ours. He was always cheerful, creative, and passionate - front and center or fading to the back - depending on the situation and energy level at the moment. His attention to detail and personal focus was as refreshing as it was unusual. We are sure all the guides are good, but a huge shout-out to ALDO. This was our families favorite trip ever! Thanks!!!

Thank you kindly for your review, Jill, I'm so delighted that you've rated your trip with us as your best ever!

Katy and I revel in the design and detail of Family trips, and Katy will be very pleased to note that you appreciated all her efforts in regards to the logistics and all the choices for activities, lodgings, food and restaurants. It's no small task putting together a trip that satisfies the needs of a wide age-range of participants, and of course a huge amount of the credit goes to Aldo. As our specialist family guide, we are constantly impressed with Aldo's abilities, and thank you so much for commenting on his emotional intelligence, attention to detail and personal focus. Is there any better way to be described?!

All the very best for your future travels - we hope to see you again some day!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

First I want to say that I wasn't able to actually do the MTB Peru trip because of some unfortunate circumstances but I still wanted to make a review based on their customer service. I was in contact with Steve for a couple months and he was absolutely wonderful. Even though we were only communicating via email, it felt very personal, like I was messaging a friend.

I had some problems during the planning process and he was always there to help in any way that he could. I am so sad that I never had a chance to actually go on the trip but based on how amazing their customer service was, I have no doubt that it would have been the best tour I could ever go on.

They really care about their customers so I want to say thank you to them, for trying their hardest to make things work for me. I hope to go back to Peru in the future and making sure that I can go on one of their tours will be my top priority!

Dear JMT, thank you for writing this review of your experiences with us. This is our first review from a guest who wasn't able to join their planned trip, so in that sense your review is very special to us since you've really gone out of your way here!

I was delighted to help you with your pre-trip planning, and was so excited for you to see your dream coming together. In the end, you had to cancel your trip, which was sad news for you indeed, but I'm sure that you'll get your opportunity again some day!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This company has 28 reviews - 27 reviewers gave an 'excellent' rating and 1 gave a 'very good' rating. That should tell you something about Aspiring Adventures.

In 2013 my wife and I toured Ecuador and Peru with a reasonably large company based in the U.S. The tour was OK but we felt we were looking down on the two countries from high up - we did not feel like we had made any connection with the real Ecuador or the real Peru. We decided that we'd like to return to Peru, not only to do the typical touristy thing of hiking the Inca Trail, but also to try to see more of the country and to connect with the people.

In preparation for our return trip to Peru I was browsing through National Geographic Traveller magazine and came across an ad for Aspiring Adventures. The company seemed pretty small with an office in New Zealand (for tours in New Zealand, Australia and Vanuatu) and an office in Cusco to handle tours in Peru. I contacted them by email and connected with Katy, the manager of the Cusco office, and Steve, the manager in New Zealand. I explained that we wanted to hike the Inca Trail but that we also wanted to see more of the 'real' parts of Peru. I also mentioned that we did not want to stay in large hotels or eat in high class restaurants. For about 3 months Katy and I went back and forth by email choosing activities, accommodations, methods of transportation, and other features. When finally finished the 3-week tour was posted on the Aspiring Adventures web site under the heading 'Peru In Depth'.

There were six of us on the trip and we had a guide (Aldo) who accompanied us for the whole trip. In a word I'd say the trip was fabulous. When I write reviews in Trip Advisor I try to be balanced by providing good and bad comments. I have been searching for anything remotely 'bad' about our trip but have been unsuccessful. The trip from start to finish was amazing. As I said, we did some of the more touristy activities like the Inca Trail hike but we also stayed in some Peruvian homes with people who could only speak Spanish or Quechua. This was not a drawback; it added so much to our tour to have to struggle to communicate with these people but to learn so much from them about their families and how they live on a day to day basis.

Even with only six people on a tour there are always personal needs that have to be taken into account - different diets, different likes and dislikes for particular activities; but in spite of this the whole tour flowed so smoothly. Much of this was a result of the very high level of effort and organization that was contributed by Katy during the planning stage, but it is difficult to imagine how we could have had any guide as good as Aldo. He saw to all of our needs - transportation, accommodation, food, and he even tended to our daughter who had a severely sprained ankle that made hiking a challenge. Aldo also has a deep connection with Peru and was able to provide a lot of information about the geography, biology, climate, culture and history of the country.

Since we have been home we have been asked by many people what was the best part of the trip. Was it the Inca Trail, was it the Amazon jungle, was it participating in a traditional ceremony to celebrate Pachamama, was it visiting the floating reed islands in Lake Titicaca, was it crossing over the continental divide in the Altiplano region at an altitude of over 4,900 metres (16,000 feet), was it eating potatoes dipped in mud, was it seeing the giant condors rising on thermals in the Colca Canyon, was it meeting people in the small villages in the Sacred Valley? Impossible to say. The whole trip has provided us with a million special memories.

The intent of the trip was to connect with the Peruvian people and to learn more about their culture. Those goals were met 100% and that is due entirely to the commitment and experience of Katy, Steve and Aldo. I can highly recommend, not only the specific trip we took but all of the people connected with this company.

1  Thank BCtourists

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experiences, I know for sure that Katy and Aldo will very much enjoy reading it! I’m delighted that you had an amazing time and have taken home so many awesome memories of your experiences.

I’ve got to say what a pleasure and a buzz it has been to help you with your Peru travel plans. Katy was helping you with all the details for the most part, but for me, knowing that we were helping a return visitor to Peru really gave me goose-bumps. One of our goals from the beginning has been to design unique in-depth trips that would spark the interest of return visitors to Peru; and while we more often see first timers, when we are lucky enough to have returners it makes me realise that we are achieving that goal. So, at the risk of sounding a little cheesy, thank you for being a part of our dream!