“A Taste of Cuzco”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We went here for lunch at the suggestion of our guide in Machu Picchu, after asking about a good place to try Cuy in Cuzco. Which is what I ended up ordering, although I thought I had ordered the roasted version, ended up with the fried, which I attested to the communication (the waiters didn't speak much English). My wife ordered the Aji de Gallina.

Portion sizes were quite enormous, comparatively to what we had seen at other restaurants, and the prices were rather reasonable, the Cuy being 45 soles, vs 60 that we had seen in other areas).
The service was very good, our server Percy being attentive, but not overbearing.

During our meal the dining room (which seemed to by quite large compared to other restaurants in the city), filled up, with quite a bit of locals, I don't remember seeing very many other travelers in the dining room. This and the lack of English suggested that it may be more authentic than what we had seen, which was exactly what we were looking for.

The restaurant is a good distance from the Plaza de Armes (about a 10 minute walk)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

One of the few places in Cuzco where you can see the typical dances of Peru. We went there for the dinner buffet and I rather recommand you ordering from the menu. The buffet was not bad but I've eaten so many better things in Peru and some of the soups where not well heated. But what other tables ordered from the menu looked really good. The Pisco Sour is delicious. Surprisingly there were many local people in the restaurant which is a rather good sign (but they didn't take the buffet! And I now know why). It's not one of the cheapest places but I had a great time and enjoyed the dances and the folklore music.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

You cannot miss with this place. We were just about the only foreigners in the whole place (it's a large restaurant). The fact that so many locals eat here is a testament to the authenticity of the local cuisine. Everything we ate was wonderful and the prices are reasonable. The service was also very good. Be prepared for huge portions though. Even the appetizers were enormous! This was our favorite restaurant in all of Cusco! Very highly recommended.

1  Thank DPBMaine
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We first saw this restaurant while walking back to our hotel on Ave. Tullumayo . It was fully packed during the lunch hour...mainly local patrons. We got back to try out this place the next day... great place. No regrets.Although the waiters there doesn't speak much english...we were still able to order our choice of food from the menu (having been there for three days and having tried other restaurants in Cusco).Truly enjoyed my stir fried beef with french fries..the best so far. My wife enjoyed her (trucha fritta) deep fried fish too. The waiter recommended a refreshing berry juice drink...good choice. This is indeed a great traditional Peruvian restaurant...they have a glass open view kitchen where you can see their chef at work. Don't go too early as they cultural performances on certain days which start after noon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Probably the best typical Peruvian restaurant in Cusco to have the real Peruvian experience. Not gourmet or pretentious like the tourist restaurants but still up to tourist standards in quality of food, service and atmosphere. Here you can experience how Peruvians do a typical lunch with friends and extended family. Everyone agrees to meet at 1 at the Cusquenita. At 1:15 or so, the first person or group arrives and begins to arrange tables for the expected crowd. Between 1:30 and 2:00 a few more family members arrive and begin to order cervezas and appetizers. By 2:30, most of the family has arrived. And begin to place their orders. By now the show has started, the place is full and you begin to settle into the experience. Watching the food arrive, one thinks we have over ordered. The portion sizes and the quantities are huge. But all the plates go back empty and the desert orders are universal. By 4:30-5:00 the kids are getting restless and the beer and piscos have everyone ready for a siesta and the place clears out suddenly. This trip I tried the pork plate. I haven’t found a restaurant in Cusco where the Cuy (guinea pig) is prepared the way I like it. I prefer Cuy prepared on the coast. Next trip I will give it a try. This is a must visit in Cusco.