“Amazing Mantanay Hike (off-the beaten path)”
Review of Cusi Travel

Cusi Travel
Ranked #18 of 699 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cusi Travel is a tour operator located in Cusco which offers high quality tours, hikes, and packages to Machu Picchu and the surrounding area. We are an environmentally sustainable tour operator and we also give back to the local Andean community where our porters come from by providing English education in the school. We offer fully customizable tours so please contact us today so we can help you plan your trip of a lifetime to Peru!
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I went on the Mantanay Hike with Cusi Travel after searching everywhere for a hike at the last minute. My time frame was very specific and I was traveling alone, so finding a hike was not easy. I had checked with Cusi months earlier and they didn't have anything available so I had kept searching and got no where. At the last minute, another couple signed up for a hike and Cusi travel remembered to reach back out to me to see if I was interested. I was delighted that they followed up. The hike itself, was more of "glamping", than camping. We ate amazing food everyday, and our guide Jose was so knowledgeable about the Quechan culture as well as the land. One of the most noteable aspects of the hike was the ability to see how local adults and children live and work in these remote areas. A few people even invited us into their homes and offered us food. Their hospitality was astounding, and allowed me to understand the culture and some of the difficulties that these communities faced to a level I would have not otherwise been exposed to. Overall, I must say that the level of customer service at Cusi was amazing, and mad me feel very at home. I highly recommend the company for any hike, and specifically, the Mantanay Hike.

Date of experience: July 2014
in 3 reviews
"the peru rail train"
"frequent breaks"
in 2 reviews
"answered all of our questions"
in 6 reviews
"international travel"
"his team"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 9, 2014

My trip to Peru was amazing thanks to Cusi Travel. I had never been to Peru before this and I don’t speak much Spanish, so I was really worried about getting around the country. But my guide Jose was wonderful. He spoke wonderful English, was very knowledgeable, and was eager to show me around Peru. I got to see Machu Picchu, the Sacred Valley, visit a small community in the countryside, the Moray Inca terraces, the salt mines, Pisac, an Animal Refuge Center, and many Inca ruins. During the trip I got altitude sickness and was really struggling, but Jose was very caring and helpful to make sure I was eating and drinking enough. He made sure I had the very best trip even when feeling ill. I learned so much about Peru and its culture and history from Jose. I definitely recommend using Cusi Travel for your Peru trip.

Date of experience: April 2014
3  Thank Ashley J
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I went with a friend to Cusco. I booked different services with Cusi. It is amazing how these people are reliable trust worthy. They coordinated transportation for us, they got us tickets to Machu Picchu and we also booked tours with them. I got sick at the end of our trip and wasn't able to go to the final tour, but I loved this guys and their service. They also give back to the community, this makes them an even better company. I highly recommend them. They are fluent in English and are very professional.

Date of experience: June 2014
2  Thank mcfuste
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Jose was an amazing guide! The level of personal attention to detail was very much appreciated. He is such a nice, friendly person, and caters the trip to be what you are looking for in a trip. We were going to do the half-day hike, but unfortunately i was quite ill the night before. So we took the train all the way up to the Macchu Picchu town and I rested that first day. Jose helped us find medicine i needed, and got everything sorted. At the tour the next day, his stories were engaging, and his love and pride for the site and his country were very apparent. He speaks lovely English and really was like a good friend by the end of the trip. I highly recommend using Cusi Travel if you are looking for outings from Cusco.

Date of experience: April 2014
2  Thank trainwreck73
See more reviews
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We were the first tourists who did the Mantanay Hike!

The day before our hike, we did the optional community visit. Jose really cares about his community! We visited a small alpaca wool factory, interacted with local children, and had dinner prepared by our host family.

Our hike was filled with beautiful memories. The scenery was breathtaking and serene! Imagine passing by turquoise lakes and snow-capped mountains, occasionally meeting local Andean people along the way, and sleeping to the sound of a gentle river. The chef filled our tummies with world-class full course meals.

Jose is incredibly knowledgeable, professional and a countryside hero! He goes the extra mile to explain Quechua culture and Peruvian history. It was our first time hiking and we experienced minor symptoms of altitude sickness, but Jose was always there to make sure that we are enjoying ourselves. He eagerly interacted with the Andean people along the way and explained their lifestyles and traditions to us. He also took plenty of great photos for us!

Definitely choose Cusi Travel!

Date of experience: June 2014