Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is not a cookie-cutter tour. Jose goes out of his way to make sure that everyone is enjoying the trip every step of the way. Every request we made leading up to the trip, and during the trip, Jose found a way to accommodate. After we had two days of rain, we couldn't have been in better spirits, and that was all because of Jose and his crew. If you get the opportunity to do the community visit, you should definitely do it, as it will an extra dimension and level of depth to your trip. Jose is nothing but professional in all of his interactions as you would expect in an owner, and welcoming and friendly in every way you would want from your guide. My wife liked doing Salkantay so much with him last year, that both us came back with six friends to do the Inca Trail this year with him. I suspect we will have another hike or two in the future.

2  Thank Deckardt
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I am a verbal person but I will try and keep it concise and brief. Cusi Travel and it's owner/manager, Jose Cusi, are one of the best things I discovered in Cusco, apart from the amazing wonderous magical streets and walls of the Inca capital. We did the Inka Trail through this company. Throughout the planning process, Jose was extremely professional and patient with myself and our group. He was a great leader with excellent and timely communication, to the point and direct in instruction, intuitive and sensitive with guidance. Jose gives back to the community also, by providing English teachers to the village that most of the Quechua porters are from.
Next was our guide, Jose Condor. Jose is an amazing cultural ambassador of the Quechua people, giving little insights into the wonderful culture and language of these beautiful people. He is very knowledgeable, patient, welcoming. We had a wonderful time with him and will never forget any of the Joses, including one of the Quechua, Jose-Luis!
Our cook was phenomenal, especially considering that we had vegetarians in the group, including myself. The food was beautiful and prepared with great skill and talent. Thanks to Donato!
Finally the amazing Quechua, the people who have the strength of true mountain people, carrying our gear and flying up the trail. What a beautiful experience, so inspirational, to see the coexistence of peace and strenuous conditions, and from it emerge simply something wonderful to experience. I admire from the bottom of my toes to the tips of my hair the gorgeous Quechua mountain people, who have the hearts and bodies of kings.
Basically, Cusi Travel rocks, I totally recommend this company to anyone!

2  Thank Safana M
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were a family of 5 (adults) traveling to Peru to hike the Inca Trail and see Machu Picchu. I chose Cusi travel because it was a local company with great reviews. What we experienced went beyond our expectations.
We had the company owner, Jose, as our guide and he was very informative and easy-going. He took care to give history lessons relevant to the Quechuas 500 yrs ago who built and lived in the ruins we passed, but also modern-day perspectives on current mountain/country living. He included some lovely comforts such as high-quality, totally waterproof North Face tents, comfortable Thermarests, our own portable toilet so we wouldn't need to use the public ones, REAL brewed coffee, and excellent meals based on typical local fares. Our chef Luis was especially creative with desserts, including banana flambe and strawberry meringue. We certainly never went hungry!
Jose made a point to take care of the Quechuas he employed to carry our gear. For those unaware, the Quechuas hired as porters have been very poorly treated until recently regulations were set in place, and it was still evident to us on the trails that not all companies treated their Quechuas equally. Jose has made a relationship with a single community (Mahuaypampa) that he hires from, provides them with quality packs to carry, good clothes, and their own sleeping gear, and works to foster an environment of teamwork and mutual success with them. As a way to further give back to Mahuaypampa, Jose through his company donates supplies and hires an English teacher for the local school to improve opportunities for the children.
At the end of our trip, Jose met with us for lunch in Aguas Calientes and took the men out to get Chicha from a local chicharia. He met us the day after as well not only to provide us with a CD of pictures he took on the journey but walked us to a local textile market that sold authentic alpaca wool clothing and goods. We had an amazing time on this trip, and we were continuously impressed with the care Jose showed us to ensure we had the best time possible. Whether you want to do the Inca trail or any other tour or hike around Cusco, Cusi Travel is the company you should choose!

4  Thank JulesTheDreamer
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Cusi Travel is by all means the best tour company in Cusco for the Inka Trail.

After a lot of search thru the internet and friends, we found out about Cusi Travel, at first we were having double thoughts about their higher rates compare with other tour companies; however we decided to book with them; and I am glad that we did, the extra price is worth to the last penny!. Sure they are expensive but other tours didn’t have all the amenities we did (NorthFace tents, bathroom at the camping sites, good food including flaming bananas a desert for the first night!) We went there in April 2014, and yes the walk is hard specially if you are carrying your own equipment, but the views are just amazing, and our guide, the owner of the company, Mr Cusi really knows how to immerse you, little by little, to the Quechua culture thru all the trail and its arqueological sites.

But what must impress me about Cusi Travel is the fact that Jose Cusi comes from a Quechua community himself, and is aware of all the needs they have and the lack of support they receive from their government or from other locals. With that in mind Cusi Travel sets aside part of their earnings to provide education and health services to the Quechua community, as an example he is currently supporting an English teacher in the local school.

I will strongly recommend Custi Travel for you Inka Trail.

Date of experience: April 2014
4  Thank Roberto V
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This was my very first time ever traveling to Peru. I was looking forward to experiencing the culture in Cusco and the surrounding countryside such as the Sacred Valley along with my #1 desire to travel to Machu Picchu. I was worried about my inability to speak Spanish and trying to find my way around a foreign country. My fears were put to rest when I found Cusi Travel. Jose, our guide, was so friendly and helpful; he took care of everything for us. We were able to do the Community Visit and go to the school there and visit the local children. Since Cusi Travel is providing an English teacher there, the children were eager to show us how they could count in English, so we got to practice with them which was so fun. We also got to see the rest of the village where the people were harvesting potatoes at the time. We visited a local family where they welcomed us into their home for a meal, and Jose translated their Quechua language for us to learn about their culture. The next day he took us on a tour of the Sacred Valley where we viewed the spectacular mountains, visited an Animal Refuge Center with Andean animals, hiked the Pisac terraces, had lunch in Urubamba, climbed the Inca ruins in Ollantaytambo, and then took the train to Aguas Calientes where we visited Machu Picchu the next day. What a sight to behold. Machu Picchu was amazing. Jose was very knowledgeable and took us all around the area explaining the history of the Incas and their way of life. Since I am older in age, Jose was very accommodating and helpful to me when I needed to stop and rest, always concerned for my well-being throughout our trip. He was a true pleasure to be with, and I experienced the trip of a lifetime because of his passion for the people of Peru. I would highly recommend Cusi Travel. You will not regret it.

Date of experience: April 2014