Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Cusi Travel is by all means the best tour company in Cusco for the Inka Trail.

After a lot of search thru the internet and friends, we found out about Cusi Travel, at first we were having double thoughts about their higher rates compare with other tour companies; however we decided to book with them; and I am glad that we did, the extra price is worth to the last penny!. Sure they are expensive but other tours didn’t have all the amenities we did (NorthFace tents, bathroom at the camping sites, good food including flaming bananas a desert for the first night!) We went there in April 2014, and yes the walk is hard specially if you are carrying your own equipment, but the views are just amazing, and our guide, the owner of the company, Mr Cusi really knows how to immerse you, little by little, to the Quechua culture thru all the trail and its arqueological sites.

But what must impress me about Cusi Travel is the fact that Jose Cusi comes from a Quechua community himself, and is aware of all the needs they have and the lack of support they receive from their government or from other locals. With that in mind Cusi Travel sets aside part of their earnings to provide education and health services to the Quechua community, as an example he is currently supporting an English teacher in the local school.

I will strongly recommend Custi Travel for you Inka Trail.

Date of experience: April 2014
4  Thank Roberto V
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This was my very first time ever traveling to Peru. I was looking forward to experiencing the culture in Cusco and the surrounding countryside such as the Sacred Valley along with my #1 desire to travel to Machu Picchu. I was worried about my inability to speak Spanish and trying to find my way around a foreign country. My fears were put to rest when I found Cusi Travel. Jose, our guide, was so friendly and helpful; he took care of everything for us. We were able to do the Community Visit and go to the school there and visit the local children. Since Cusi Travel is providing an English teacher there, the children were eager to show us how they could count in English, so we got to practice with them which was so fun. We also got to see the rest of the village where the people were harvesting potatoes at the time. We visited a local family where they welcomed us into their home for a meal, and Jose translated their Quechua language for us to learn about their culture. The next day he took us on a tour of the Sacred Valley where we viewed the spectacular mountains, visited an Animal Refuge Center with Andean animals, hiked the Pisac terraces, had lunch in Urubamba, climbed the Inca ruins in Ollantaytambo, and then took the train to Aguas Calientes where we visited Machu Picchu the next day. What a sight to behold. Machu Picchu was amazing. Jose was very knowledgeable and took us all around the area explaining the history of the Incas and their way of life. Since I am older in age, Jose was very accommodating and helpful to me when I needed to stop and rest, always concerned for my well-being throughout our trip. He was a true pleasure to be with, and I experienced the trip of a lifetime because of his passion for the people of Peru. I would highly recommend Cusi Travel. You will not regret it.

Date of experience: April 2014
2  Thank Kathy J
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was my second trip to Cusco, and this time I decided to go on the Cusco City tour with Cusi Travel. My first trip I tried to read about the city before arriving, but it was amazing how much I missed or had walked right past the first time. Cusi Travel was excellent! Our guide, Jose, was so knowledgeable, friendly and not afraid to change the itinerary to closer align with our interests. We saw all of the major Inca ruins in Cusco and learned not only about Inca history and culture, but also about Peru’s current culture. The pace was perfect and Jose ensured that the tour was interactive and never felt like a lecture. We even got to go sliding down rocks at the top of Sacsayhuaman and travel through a small cave! I wish I had done the city tour with Cusi Travel on my first trip as I can’t believe how much I missed out on. I would highly recommend Cusi Travel’s city tour if you really want to see, understand and experience Cusco!

Date of experience: March 2014
2  Thank Jeremy N
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I recently did the Community Visit to a small Andean village 1 hour from Cusco with Cusi Travel. While I made time to visit all of the major tourist sites in Cusco, I found that I wanted to get away from all the other tourists and see the authentic side of Peru. The Community Visit gave me an inside perspective that I could not have otherwise obtained during my stay in Peru. The village is beautiful overlooking the Sacred Valley and is surrounded by majestic snow-capped mountains. We visited a local house and got to try the traditional drink called chicha, which is made from fermented corn. We learned that local chicherias (places that sell chicha) are really just someone’s adobe house. The key is to watch for a red flag raised outside the house to know when the chicha is ready. Our guide, Jose, really made the entire experience a possibility. While I speak Spanish, I do not speak Quechua. I found that many of the people in the village (including our chicheria host) only spoke Quechua. Jose translated for us, and explained various aspects of the lifestyle and culture of the local people. While in the chicheria, we were able to visit the kitchen which is also where they keep their guinea pigs running around the floor! The host was very willing to share her home with us so that we felt very comfortable and welcomed. After that Jose took us out through the fields and taught us about their crops and farming techniques. We also went down to visit the schools and learned about how Cusi Travel is supporting the village by providing school supplies, jobs for porters, and by providing an English teacher. Also, Jose was fun, informative and listened closely to our feedback, questions and any concerns we had. The experience felt genuine and it was clear that Jose is working hard to help the village. Although there are many agencies that say they do community service, we saw that Cusi Travel actually is doing it. I definitely recommend doing the Community Visit with Cusi Travel for a chance to get away from the city and see how the local Andean people really live.

Date of experience: March 2014
3  Thank Amanda J
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I hiked the Inca Trail with Cusi Travel in August 2013 with a group of close to 30, the largest they had ever accommodated. They handled our trip flawlessly...you would not have even known we were there largest group. Jose and his team were extremely professional and knowledgable. They also were great about us giving more of an insider's perspective into the local culture and some of the challenges facing Peru. On the Inca Trail, Jose's team kept us fed with gourmet meals, had tents setup each night when we arrived, and kept us entertained with fun games, team activities, and educational information along the way.

Jose is also exceptionally passionate about effecting change and creating employment opportunities for his fellow Peruvians. He cares deeply about the country and focuses Cusi travel around the mission of giving back to the local communities. Truly an inspirational leader and entrepreneur who makes you feel like your trip had more impact than the run-of-the-mill vacation. I give Cusi travel my highest recommendation...I'd travel with them again in an instant!

Date of experience: August 2013