Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I recently did the Community Visit to a small Andean village 1 hour from Cusco with Cusi Travel. While I made time to visit all of the major tourist sites in Cusco, I found that I wanted to get away from all the other tourists and see the authentic side of Peru. The Community Visit gave me an inside perspective that I could not have otherwise obtained during my stay in Peru. The village is beautiful overlooking the Sacred Valley and is surrounded by majestic snow-capped mountains. We visited a local house and got to try the traditional drink called chicha, which is made from fermented corn. We learned that local chicherias (places that sell chicha) are really just someone’s adobe house. The key is to watch for a red flag raised outside the house to know when the chicha is ready. Our guide, Jose, really made the entire experience a possibility. While I speak Spanish, I do not speak Quechua. I found that many of the people in the village (including our chicheria host) only spoke Quechua. Jose translated for us, and explained various aspects of the lifestyle and culture of the local people. While in the chicheria, we were able to visit the kitchen which is also where they keep their guinea pigs running around the floor! The host was very willing to share her home with us so that we felt very comfortable and welcomed. After that Jose took us out through the fields and taught us about their crops and farming techniques. We also went down to visit the schools and learned about how Cusi Travel is supporting the village by providing school supplies, jobs for porters, and by providing an English teacher. Also, Jose was fun, informative and listened closely to our feedback, questions and any concerns we had. The experience felt genuine and it was clear that Jose is working hard to help the village. Although there are many agencies that say they do community service, we saw that Cusi Travel actually is doing it. I definitely recommend doing the Community Visit with Cusi Travel for a chance to get away from the city and see how the local Andean people really live.

Date of experience: March 2014
3  Thank Amanda J
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I hiked the Inca Trail with Cusi Travel in August 2013 with a group of close to 30, the largest they had ever accommodated. They handled our trip flawlessly...you would not have even known we were there largest group. Jose and his team were extremely professional and knowledgable. They also were great about us giving more of an insider's perspective into the local culture and some of the challenges facing Peru. On the Inca Trail, Jose's team kept us fed with gourmet meals, had tents setup each night when we arrived, and kept us entertained with fun games, team activities, and educational information along the way.

Jose is also exceptionally passionate about effecting change and creating employment opportunities for his fellow Peruvians. He cares deeply about the country and focuses Cusi travel around the mission of giving back to the local communities. Truly an inspirational leader and entrepreneur who makes you feel like your trip had more impact than the run-of-the-mill vacation. I give Cusi travel my highest recommendation...I'd travel with them again in an instant!

Date of experience: August 2013
5  Thank Dan S
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Perfectly organized, excellent food, unforgettable experience as cusi makes you discover the world of the inca during "history lessons".

Date of experience: December 2013
3  Thank Patchamama2013
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Cusi Travel was just perfect in our Inca Trail trip.

Team
José, Puma and Javier guided us always making sure we were safe, we were happy, and we were learning a lot of Inca culture.
The way they treated not only us (clients), but also the team who were supporting this trip was amazing! Everybody working on this seemed really happy and motivated to create the best experience for us.

The food was great! A real chef accompanied us during the whole trip and prepared the best food I ever had in a trail. He was also very careful with people's restrictions and balanced the energy we need to endure the trail.

Challenge
For me, the Inca Trail was a great challenge, as I had never hiked long trails before; however, José, Puma and Javier were so confident that we could make it, that I became more confident myself and enjoyed the whole trip, even during the challenging uphills.

Only points:
- guides know the culture not only because they come from local communities, but they have also had formal education on the subject
- guides speak very good English
- perfect execution: everything was always prepared on time (tents, food, etc.)
- only first-class equipment

Date of experience: August 2013
4  Thank Joice_To
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Crazy you might think, but my (now) husband and I decided to do the Inka trail for our honeymoon. Leading up to it, I was a nervous… but the experience was UNFORGETTABLE! Unforgettable for a number of reasons. Firstly, walking the Inka trail is just an experience of a life time – the views are amazing and the perseverance you experience puts things in to perspective. Secondly, Cusi Travel ensured that our experience was pushed to the next level – with the right gear, friendly people, small group format, proper insight in to the Inka/Quechan culture and, of course, amazing food! Well, how can you go wrong. Lastly, one of the major bonuses with Cusi Travel is the optional community visit. I found it be a very unique and insightful experience!

Date of experience: October 2013