Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Cusi Travel was just perfect in our Inca Trail trip.

Team
José, Puma and Javier guided us always making sure we were safe, we were happy, and we were learning a lot of Inca culture.
The way they treated not only us (clients), but also the team who were supporting this trip was amazing! Everybody working on this seemed really happy and motivated to create the best experience for us.

The food was great! A real chef accompanied us during the whole trip and prepared the best food I ever had in a trail. He was also very careful with people's restrictions and balanced the energy we need to endure the trail.

Challenge
For me, the Inca Trail was a great challenge, as I had never hiked long trails before; however, José, Puma and Javier were so confident that we could make it, that I became more confident myself and enjoyed the whole trip, even during the challenging uphills.

Only points:
- guides know the culture not only because they come from local communities, but they have also had formal education on the subject
- guides speak very good English
- perfect execution: everything was always prepared on time (tents, food, etc.)
- only first-class equipment

4  Thank Joice_To
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Crazy you might think, but my (now) husband and I decided to do the Inka trail for our honeymoon. Leading up to it, I was a nervous… but the experience was UNFORGETTABLE! Unforgettable for a number of reasons. Firstly, walking the Inka trail is just an experience of a life time – the views are amazing and the perseverance you experience puts things in to perspective. Secondly, Cusi Travel ensured that our experience was pushed to the next level – with the right gear, friendly people, small group format, proper insight in to the Inka/Quechan culture and, of course, amazing food! Well, how can you go wrong. Lastly, one of the major bonuses with Cusi Travel is the optional community visit. I found it be a very unique and insightful experience!

Date of experience: October 2013
2  Thank Nadira G
Reviewed November 9, 2013

There is no way that I can adequately put into words how absolutely fantastic Cusi Travel is, but I’ll give it a shot.

First of all, Jose and his crew are all native Quechuas and have an unmatched knowledge of the history of Cusco and the Incas. They are incredibly fun, adventurous, funny, and professional. They have an encyclopedic knowledge of Incan and Peruvian history. They went well beyond their duties and made a concerted effort to connect with each traveler individually. I had fantastic conversations with the guides on topics ranging from Inca stone-carving technique to contemporary Peruvian politics.

Cusi took us into the Cusco highlands for a village stay, where we visited a local school and were invited into a community leader’s home for tea and snacks. We shared stories with schoolchildren and heard them sing local songs. We were immersed in the Quechua culture and learned first-hand about education, family, community, and food. We even danced to local music under the light of the moon in a backyard filled with cows, dogs, chickens, children, and community leaders! It was an incredible and authentic experience which I will never forget.

On the trail, everything was planned and organized to perfection, and the support and service went far beyond our expectations. The food was so good that we momentarily forgot we were backpacking! We had three-course meals for dinner and lunch everyday along with snacks, drinks, and tea.

Cusi Travel is also committed to the local community and donates a share of their profits toward community programs to improve education and well-being in rural areas. They want to give back to the Quechua community and share the beauty of local culture with tourists. Our experience with Cusi Travel was so much more than a hike to Machu Picchu.

Cusi Travel brought something special and unexpected to our Inca Trail experience. The little details, the fabulous food, the personal attention, the local connections, the joke circles, the immersion in local culture… the list goes on… made our experience absolutely unforgettable. I would recommend Cusi Travel to any of my friends as the best Inca Trail experience available.

5  Thank Brian S
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was part of a group of 26 graduate students hiking the trail for the first time. Jose and his team was nothing less than flawless. In addition to showering us with jokes, history lessons, and amazingly yummy food, they also took care of us when some of us had difficulties making the climb and/or even experience altitude sickness. My entire group was extremely impressed by the coordination and execution that Cusi Travel exhibited. This is an experience that we will all remember for many years to come.

2  Thank Rrebyu
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I hiked the trail with Cusi Travel and 26 fellow grad students in August 2013. I also had the good fortunate of being one of the organizers of the trip for the group, which meant that I was involved in the task of selecting a tour company and then coordinating with them. From the get-go, Cusi was extremely professional, prompt in their replies, and generally a pleasure to work with. But most of all I love the ethos of this company. Unlike many tour companies that are based outside of Peru, Cusi is focused on close integration with the local community and on promoting cross-cultural exchanges. We were able to experience life in a remote village before our hike, interact with local schoolchildren, and develop a deeper understanding of the Quechua culture. Along these lines, Cusi shows a deep appreciation and respect for the Quechuas (porters) who join you on the trail. I don’t think this is true of all companies!

2  Thank castisquid