Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed November 9, 2013

There is no way that I can adequately put into words how absolutely fantastic Cusi Travel is, but I’ll give it a shot.

First of all, Jose and his crew are all native Quechuas and have an unmatched knowledge of the history of Cusco and the Incas. They are incredibly fun, adventurous, funny, and professional. They have an encyclopedic knowledge of Incan and Peruvian history. They went well beyond their duties and made a concerted effort to connect with each traveler individually. I had fantastic conversations with the guides on topics ranging from Inca stone-carving technique to contemporary Peruvian politics.

Cusi took us into the Cusco highlands for a village stay, where we visited a local school and were invited into a community leader’s home for tea and snacks. We shared stories with schoolchildren and heard them sing local songs. We were immersed in the Quechua culture and learned first-hand about education, family, community, and food. We even danced to local music under the light of the moon in a backyard filled with cows, dogs, chickens, children, and community leaders! It was an incredible and authentic experience which I will never forget.

On the trail, everything was planned and organized to perfection, and the support and service went far beyond our expectations. The food was so good that we momentarily forgot we were backpacking! We had three-course meals for dinner and lunch everyday along with snacks, drinks, and tea.

Cusi Travel is also committed to the local community and donates a share of their profits toward community programs to improve education and well-being in rural areas. They want to give back to the Quechua community and share the beauty of local culture with tourists. Our experience with Cusi Travel was so much more than a hike to Machu Picchu.

Cusi Travel brought something special and unexpected to our Inca Trail experience. The little details, the fabulous food, the personal attention, the local connections, the joke circles, the immersion in local culture… the list goes on… made our experience absolutely unforgettable. I would recommend Cusi Travel to any of my friends as the best Inca Trail experience available.

5  Thank Brian S
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was part of a group of 26 graduate students hiking the trail for the first time. Jose and his team was nothing less than flawless. In addition to showering us with jokes, history lessons, and amazingly yummy food, they also took care of us when some of us had difficulties making the climb and/or even experience altitude sickness. My entire group was extremely impressed by the coordination and execution that Cusi Travel exhibited. This is an experience that we will all remember for many years to come.

2  Thank Rrebyu
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I hiked the trail with Cusi Travel and 26 fellow grad students in August 2013. I also had the good fortunate of being one of the organizers of the trip for the group, which meant that I was involved in the task of selecting a tour company and then coordinating with them. From the get-go, Cusi was extremely professional, prompt in their replies, and generally a pleasure to work with. But most of all I love the ethos of this company. Unlike many tour companies that are based outside of Peru, Cusi is focused on close integration with the local community and on promoting cross-cultural exchanges. We were able to experience life in a remote village before our hike, interact with local schoolchildren, and develop a deeper understanding of the Quechua culture. Along these lines, Cusi shows a deep appreciation and respect for the Quechuas (porters) who join you on the trail. I don’t think this is true of all companies!

2  Thank castisquid
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I'm sure many of you reading these reviews are trying to choose between different Inca Trail trek companies and guides and are overwhelmed by the number of choices out there. Let me just help you out now: choose Cusi. I could not believe the quality of service and food we were getting on the trail. It seriously felt like a 5-star experience. Cusi Travel places a great emphasis on connecting their customers with the local culture, and I felt like that's exactly what I wanted out of my experience on the trail. They taught us a few Quechuan words so that we could speak to our Quechuas (the porters) as they passed us (at breakneck speed with 25 kilos of weight on their back!) and thank them for all the hard work they did for us. Jose and all the tour guides were some of the most caring and funny people I've met, making sure that we all had the right motivation to make it to the top, or just the end of the day. The quality of the equipment was top-class (high-end NorthFace tents, very comfortable sleeping mats and much more). I could not believe how much energy all of these guys have, and they love being able to tell other people about their country. These guys were seriously our friends by even just the end of the first day, and so it really didn't feel like a client/tour guide relationship. We were 27 people so were probably a lot to handle, and Cusi had never handled such a big group before, but they consistently always had the right amount of food and the logistics were flawless! I seriously believe with so much competition out there, Jose has had the pick of the litter with all of his staff (including the amazing chefs) so I cannot recommend Cusi more highly.

3  Thank tanwynner
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Jose is a terrific guide - very knowledgeable, attentive, authentic, speaks very good english (and Quechua), just a really nice guy. Could not have asked for a better experience.

Date of experience: July 2013