Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Jose is a terrific guide - very knowledgeable, attentive, authentic, speaks very good english (and Quechua), just a really nice guy. Could not have asked for a better experience.

Date of experience: July 2013
3  Thank misterjay26
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was my first hiking and camping experience, and all my friends told me I was crazy. Doing the Inca Trail, they said, is as hardcore as it gets in terms of outdoor adventure.

Well, they weren't exactly lying, but I am very thankful to Jose and his team for the fantastic experience. The four days were physically demanding, but they made it worthwhile. The infrastructure, the food, the safety and the team's dedication were especially impressive.

Also, I was happy to see how concerned Jose and the other guides were in making sure that our group understood the richness and values of the Quechua culture.

Would certainly do it again, no questions asked.

(I am very suspicious when I look at an attraction on Trip Advisor that has nothing but great reviews, but Cusi is the real thing. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions).

5  Thank thelukebox
Reviewed October 8, 2013

These guys are awesome. They showed me and my friends around Cusco and then we did the Inca trail. They know a lot about all the sites: just keep asking them questions and see if you can find something they don’t know about.

They also carry around oxygen and were really helpful with a friend of mine who got a bit sick from the altitude. Every evening they would make sure to get us a cool camping spot- often a little ways from the other groups where possible. The food they prepared for us was delicious!

Marching into machu pichu after days on the trail to the tune of flute music played by our guide was unforgettable.

Pro tip: make sure to ask them for their funniest stories about life on the trail- we had some real fun in the evenings hearing about their experiences.

3  Thank Alex W
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Cusi Travel hosted us as part of a group of 27 hikers for a 5-day, 4-night night to Machu Picchu in August 2013. Their service was incredible, and their connection to the local community unmatched. Jose (the owner and head guide) arranged for us to spend a day with a local school and have tea with a Peruvian family in the village - it was such a special experience, and it was obvious that Jose is deeply invested in the community. Once we started the Inca Trail, Jose and his team were excellent. Their gear and equipment were top-notch, the guides' information was excellent, and they supported my group with patience and encouragement through the unavoidable moments of altitude adjustment and belly aches. Everyone on the trip made it to Machu Picchu and had a great time. One of the most impressive things about Cusi's operation was the food. We ate a hot three-course meals every night while traipsing through mountains, and it was delicious. They even made a layered birthday cake for one hiker. I have no idea how they pulled off the cake while camping at altitude, but it was great. I definitely recommend Cusi.

3  Thank Damport
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I booked the 8 day package (including the 4 day Inca Trek) with Cusi Travel for September 9th to 16th, 2013. We had a fantastic experience and highly recommend Cusi Travel to anyone considering a trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu. Expertise of our guides, and the equipment provided (tent, sleeping bag and pad/pillow) were all top notch. Also, our chef on the trek, Donato, provided delicious food whilst accommodating a significant food allergy.

Some good reasons to book with Cusi Travel:
1. All of the arrangements worked out smoothly from the time we were met at the airport on arrival to our departure on the last morning. English speaking guides were provided at all times.
2. The cost of the package is a good value. Cusi Travel is a small company and you will get plenty of individual attention. The standard package was adapted to meet our scheduling needs.
3. Cusi tents are new, top quality, and don’t leak (trekkers with other companies got wet the last night on the trail).
4. Cusi Travel is a local company. What we paid goes entirely into the Peruvian economy. Larger, international companies take their profits out of Peru. This became more meaningful after our visit to a rural, farming community.

Jose Cusi Camero is the owner of Cusi Travel. He leads some of the treks. Jose guided us around Cusco, the Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo, and on a Community Visit (more below). Our guide for the Inca Trek was Javier Yupayccana Juarez . My wife and I are 65 and 67 years old, and, although we are seasoned hikers near sea level, we were very concerned about the difficulty of hiking at high altitude. Jose promptly answered our many emails and thoroughly prepared us for the trek. The briefing with Javier the night before the trek only reinforced our sense of preparedness. We are glad we spent 3 days in Cusco (11,000 feet elevation) prior to the trek and used Diamox – we had no symptoms of altitude sickness.

Jose personally guided us the 3 days we were initially in Cusco. His knowledge of Peruvian history (pre- and post-Spanish), architecture of the Inca buildings and temples, and especially his concern for the indigenous people of Peru (the Quechua) enriched our experience tremendously. On the Community Visit we drove to a remote farming village, where we visited the elementary school and met the children in their classrooms, grades 1, 2 and 3. We had a typical mid-day meal with a Quechuan family, followed by witnessing the centuries old method of separating lima beans from their stalks (husband, wife, grandfather and grandmother all working together).

Javier is a very funny and knowledgeable guy. He informed us of the historical significance of the sites along the Inca trail, as well as the flora and fauna. Javier made sure we paced ourselves properly during the ascent to Dead Womans Pass, and he provided the right amount of encouragement to help us cope with the thin air at nearly 14,000 ft. We had wonderful conversations about the differences between life in Peru and the United States. We walked into Machu Picchu at 8 am on day 4, just as the sun burned off the rain clouds from the previous night. Javier led us on an in depth tour of Machu Picchu before we descended to Aguas Calientes.

We had plenty of time for a soothing soak in the hot springs, followed by lunch at a restaurant and return to Cusco by train. Javier made sure that all of the arrangements were in place before we parted ways. A Cusi driver was waiting for us at the Cusco train station to whisk us back to our hotel. After all of our wonderful experiences, the next morning we were delivered to the airport, accompanied by Jose, for our flight to Lima and then home.

Date of experience: September 2013