Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Cusi Travel hosted us as part of a group of 27 hikers for a 5-day, 4-night night to Machu Picchu in August 2013. Their service was incredible, and their connection to the local community unmatched. Jose (the owner and head guide) arranged for us to spend a day with a local school and have tea with a Peruvian family in the village - it was such a special experience, and it was obvious that Jose is deeply invested in the community. Once we started the Inca Trail, Jose and his team were excellent. Their gear and equipment were top-notch, the guides' information was excellent, and they supported my group with patience and encouragement through the unavoidable moments of altitude adjustment and belly aches. Everyone on the trip made it to Machu Picchu and had a great time. One of the most impressive things about Cusi's operation was the food. We ate a hot three-course meals every night while traipsing through mountains, and it was delicious. They even made a layered birthday cake for one hiker. I have no idea how they pulled off the cake while camping at altitude, but it was great. I definitely recommend Cusi.

Date of experience: August 2013
3  Thank Damport
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I booked the 8 day package (including the 4 day Inca Trek) with Cusi Travel for September 9th to 16th, 2013. We had a fantastic experience and highly recommend Cusi Travel to anyone considering a trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu. Expertise of our guides, and the equipment provided (tent, sleeping bag and pad/pillow) were all top notch. Also, our chef on the trek, Donato, provided delicious food whilst accommodating a significant food allergy.

Some good reasons to book with Cusi Travel:
1. All of the arrangements worked out smoothly from the time we were met at the airport on arrival to our departure on the last morning. English speaking guides were provided at all times.
2. The cost of the package is a good value. Cusi Travel is a small company and you will get plenty of individual attention. The standard package was adapted to meet our scheduling needs.
3. Cusi tents are new, top quality, and don’t leak (trekkers with other companies got wet the last night on the trail).
4. Cusi Travel is a local company. What we paid goes entirely into the Peruvian economy. Larger, international companies take their profits out of Peru. This became more meaningful after our visit to a rural, farming community.

Jose Cusi Camero is the owner of Cusi Travel. He leads some of the treks. Jose guided us around Cusco, the Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo, and on a Community Visit (more below). Our guide for the Inca Trek was Javier Yupayccana Juarez . My wife and I are 65 and 67 years old, and, although we are seasoned hikers near sea level, we were very concerned about the difficulty of hiking at high altitude. Jose promptly answered our many emails and thoroughly prepared us for the trek. The briefing with Javier the night before the trek only reinforced our sense of preparedness. We are glad we spent 3 days in Cusco (11,000 feet elevation) prior to the trek and used Diamox – we had no symptoms of altitude sickness.

Jose personally guided us the 3 days we were initially in Cusco. His knowledge of Peruvian history (pre- and post-Spanish), architecture of the Inca buildings and temples, and especially his concern for the indigenous people of Peru (the Quechua) enriched our experience tremendously. On the Community Visit we drove to a remote farming village, where we visited the elementary school and met the children in their classrooms, grades 1, 2 and 3. We had a typical mid-day meal with a Quechuan family, followed by witnessing the centuries old method of separating lima beans from their stalks (husband, wife, grandfather and grandmother all working together).

Javier is a very funny and knowledgeable guy. He informed us of the historical significance of the sites along the Inca trail, as well as the flora and fauna. Javier made sure we paced ourselves properly during the ascent to Dead Womans Pass, and he provided the right amount of encouragement to help us cope with the thin air at nearly 14,000 ft. We had wonderful conversations about the differences between life in Peru and the United States. We walked into Machu Picchu at 8 am on day 4, just as the sun burned off the rain clouds from the previous night. Javier led us on an in depth tour of Machu Picchu before we descended to Aguas Calientes.

We had plenty of time for a soothing soak in the hot springs, followed by lunch at a restaurant and return to Cusco by train. Javier made sure that all of the arrangements were in place before we parted ways. A Cusi driver was waiting for us at the Cusco train station to whisk us back to our hotel. After all of our wonderful experiences, the next morning we were delivered to the airport, accompanied by Jose, for our flight to Lima and then home.

Date of experience: September 2013
4  Thank John C
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had the best experience doing the Lares Trek with this agency.
It was better than expected.
The guide was really thoughtful explaining everything, taking pictures and not pushing too hard on those that were not 100% prepared for the hike.
The crew was also very competent, and the food was unbelievable considering the conditions (in the mountains in the middle of nowhere): several plates for breakfast, lunch and dinner, individually served and with a special attention to allergies.

I had no problem reaching them in advance or when I was in Cusco. The guide came to our hostel to explain everything we needed.

I recommend this to everyone.

Date of experience: July 2013
2  Thank Cesar L
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went back and forth with tour companies for my Salkantay hike. There are so many options and so many different price ranges, I was totally confused as to which way I should go. After exchanging a couple emails with Jose, I decided to go with Cusi travel and I am glad I did.

I heard horror stories from other hikers about leaky tents, cold sleeping bags, mediocre food and having to buy their own water. I have to say the treatment that Jose and Cusi gave us was definitely second to none. From the great high end tents, to the warm sleeping bags, right down to having fresh boiled water every morning to put in my canteen. I loved every minute of it. Restaurant quality food, even at altitude was great. I had no issues with cold, sickness and my hike was totally enjoyable. Jose also has attention to detail and everything is thought through including his food menu. The food choices were easy to digest and complimented the hiking experience. Also, camping away from the crowds at our own private locations was a nice touch.
We also did a small tour of a coffee plantation and were able to harvest, roast and grind our own coffee.

All in all I would recommend Cusi and Jose. You pay a bit more for his service but it is well worth it.

Date of experience: September 2013
4  Thank Treva
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I just returned from a four-day trek on the Inca Trail with Cusi Travel and cannot recommend them highly enough. Our guides Jose, Javier, Carlos, and Puma were knowledgeable, charismatic and extremely experienced. The whole operation was very well organized, and all of our needs were seen to. As a first time trekker/camper I was a bit anxious about the trip, but all went extremely smoothly.

The food, equipment, and staff were all top knotch. We were blown away with the meals (cooked in a tent!) and also the attention to small details which made the camping experience just a bit more comfortable: to ease the early mornings, we were awoken with hot tea and warm water for washing up. We had a birthday in our group and the chefs somehow managed to bake a cake (how, I'm still not sure)! When some in our group suffered from altitude sickness, the guides showed them the utmost care.

Perhaps most impressive was the heart-felt passion of the guides for the Quetchua history and people. I also really admired the mission of the company and Jose's commitment to improving the lives of the local families and the quality of education in the area.

The staff - guides and porters alike - were professional, caring, and knowledgeable. If I ever return to the Inco Trail (which I hope to!) I will definitely book with Cusi Travel again.

Date of experience: August 2013