Open today: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Cusi 4 Day Macchu Pichu package

My husband had a wonderful experience with this company. We were met by someone at every stop. On... read more

Reviewed February 7, 2019
Danielahgg
Had an awesome tour today: Moray, Maras and community visit

Loved our tour today. We booked the tour yesterday through our hotel cusco b&b and it was... read more

Reviewed January 23, 2019
real_abroad
via mobile

All reviews community visit local community day hike inca trail student guide meeting locals driver jose customized experience sacred valley spoke quechua machu picchu real chef planning phase the peru rail train answered all of our questions frequent breaks his team
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had the best experience doing the Lares Trek with this agency.
It was better than expected.
The guide was really thoughtful explaining everything, taking pictures and not pushing too hard on those that were not 100% prepared for the hike.
The crew was also very competent, and the food was unbelievable considering the conditions (in the mountains in the middle of nowhere): several plates for breakfast, lunch and dinner, individually served and with a special attention to allergies.

I had no problem reaching them in advance or when I was in Cusco. The guide came to our hostel to explain everything we needed.

I recommend this to everyone.

Date of experience: July 2013
2  Thank Cesar L
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went back and forth with tour companies for my Salkantay hike. There are so many options and so many different price ranges, I was totally confused as to which way I should go. After exchanging a couple emails with Jose, I decided to go with Cusi travel and I am glad I did.

I heard horror stories from other hikers about leaky tents, cold sleeping bags, mediocre food and having to buy their own water. I have to say the treatment that Jose and Cusi gave us was definitely second to none. From the great high end tents, to the warm sleeping bags, right down to having fresh boiled water every morning to put in my canteen. I loved every minute of it. Restaurant quality food, even at altitude was great. I had no issues with cold, sickness and my hike was totally enjoyable. Jose also has attention to detail and everything is thought through including his food menu. The food choices were easy to digest and complimented the hiking experience. Also, camping away from the crowds at our own private locations was a nice touch.
We also did a small tour of a coffee plantation and were able to harvest, roast and grind our own coffee.

All in all I would recommend Cusi and Jose. You pay a bit more for his service but it is well worth it.

Date of experience: September 2013
4  Thank Treva
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I just returned from a four-day trek on the Inca Trail with Cusi Travel and cannot recommend them highly enough. Our guides Jose, Javier, Carlos, and Puma were knowledgeable, charismatic and extremely experienced. The whole operation was very well organized, and all of our needs were seen to. As a first time trekker/camper I was a bit anxious about the trip, but all went extremely smoothly.

The food, equipment, and staff were all top knotch. We were blown away with the meals (cooked in a tent!) and also the attention to small details which made the camping experience just a bit more comfortable: to ease the early mornings, we were awoken with hot tea and warm water for washing up. We had a birthday in our group and the chefs somehow managed to bake a cake (how, I'm still not sure)! When some in our group suffered from altitude sickness, the guides showed them the utmost care.

Perhaps most impressive was the heart-felt passion of the guides for the Quetchua history and people. I also really admired the mission of the company and Jose's commitment to improving the lives of the local families and the quality of education in the area.

The staff - guides and porters alike - were professional, caring, and knowledgeable. If I ever return to the Inco Trail (which I hope to!) I will definitely book with Cusi Travel again.

Date of experience: August 2013
3  Thank rmgVII
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from our first trip to Peru where we did the 7 day Lares Trek with Jose Cusi of Cusi Travel. This trip was the kind of great experience which I will be suggesting to many others! From our initial emails right through to the return trip to the airport in Cusco, Jose Cusi and all the members of Cusi Travel made our experience absolutely wonderful.

We can’t say enough about the value, services and personal attention we received on our trip with Cusi Travel. While it is a moderately priced tour, the value really exceeded our expectations. Cusi Travel arranged all transport and tickets including train and bus to Macchu Piccu, pick up and drop off at the airport, and tickets for all historic sites and museums. In fact, with our combined ticket to historic sites we were able to visit two more museums in Cusco on our own the final morning before the flight home. The arrangements for hotels in Cusco and Aguas Calientes were seamless and the accommodations were very good. We were served extraordinary meals for the entire trek (kudos to Roly - what a chef!). All our trekking equipment was top quality: tents, sleeping bags, etc. were clearly chosen to take us comfortably through the winter weather.

Having experienced personal guides many places in the world, I felt that Jose and his team brought a high level of knowledge of the history, culture, land and people to our travel. Questions were answered and we were encouraged to interact with local people we encountered on our trek. We hiked through beautiful mountains amid llamas, alpacas, sheep and cattle. We encountered local farm families and were welcomed into two homes. One family even roasted us guinea pig for dinner! I know that if I had pieced together this type of trip from various resources instead of booking the 7 day Lares Trek we would not have had very many of the experiences we enjoyed so much.

I think the ease of our travel also prevented a lot of wasted time. For instance we didn’t have to figure out how to get tickets or stand in line. It gave us more time at the sites in which we were interested. I overheard other travelers who had tried to get tickets online talking about standing in line because the order hadn’t gone through or their purchase was wrong. Meanwhile our small group never missed a beat. We were able to practically breeze through much of the waiting because Jose had planned the trip so well!

Finally, I was so appreciative of Jose and his team’s general congeniality. They were always in good humor, helpful and interesting. Jose and his crew provided the right balance of education and encouragement which is so helpful when exploring a new land. My daughter and I will never forget our wonderful trip to Peru - thanks to Jose and his team!

Date of experience: July 2013
2  Thank Pat V
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked our Inca Trail with Cusi Travel for June 2013 and were blown away by the service we received!

AMAZING SERVICE. Every small detail had been thought of. The equipment was excellent, the food (cooked in a tent) was some of the best we had during our whole 1.5 months in Peru! They catered for one gluten-free person and one vegetarian in our group. It was my birthday on the 4th day of the trail and on the 3rd night I was given a birthday cake and a mini cake on the 4th morning to take into Machu Picchu for photos!

HAPPY, WELL LOOKED AFTER PORTERS. The porters were lovely, always laughing and smiling and had excellent clothing and backpacks. They are very well looked after by Cusi.

SMALL GROUPS: Unlike other tours Cusi only takes maximum of 8 people, and in our group we only had 4 so it was so personal. We walked at our own pace and stopped when we wanted to.

KNOWLEDGEABLE GUIDE. Jose Cusi's knowledge was extremely impressive. At every Incan site along the trail we were given detailed history lessons and he really brought the place to life. He was considering writing a book about the Incan Culture - you cant get a better guide than that! And his English was near-on perfect.

COMPANY WITH A HEART. As a bonus, before our Inca trail Jose Cusi asked if we wanted to do a community visit and spend one more night camping in the village where the porters come from (for no extra cost). We met their children, helped in the fields and ate dinner with the head porter's family. Cusi is using his business to give back to the community by helping the children in the village with a small cinema that shows documentaries (national geographic, animal planet etc) and further plans for a school. Your money is going to a good place here.

PERFECT! The whole experience was beyond our belief. Perfect in every way and we will never forget it. Thank you Jose and the rest of the team for making it so wonderful.

Go with Cusi, you will not regret it!

Date of experience: June 2013