“Amazing place, awesome location”

Milhouse Hostel Cusco
Ranked #11 of 463 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Amazing place, awesome location”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visited Cuzco for 4 weeks in October 2012 with my wife and stayed at the Milhouse Hostel. We initially stayed in another hostel just around the corner but didn't really like it and switched to Milhouse. We loved the amazing colonial building, and everything was brand-spanking new (beds, lockers, bedsheets, towels). And everything was so clean as well.

The location is just fantastic, as it's in the middle of historic area. It takes only 3 minutes walk to reach Plaza de Armas and Avenida El Sol where there are pharmacies, shops, ATMs and restaurants. I think the location is one of the best things about the hostel. The breakfast, although simple, is also very good. Plenty of fruit, bread and jam and lots of tea and coffee.

Maybe the only thing I would say is that the music from the bar is a bit loud. But the staff at the reception was very helpful and organized our room that was on the other side of the hostel (far from the bar) which helped a lot. Overall, it was an amazing experience and we can't wait to be back.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the bar
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gottfried R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Strasbourg, France
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Travelling alone through Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia for almost 4 months I definitely saw every type of hostel there is. Milhouse Backpackers is, with no exaggeration, the most awesome accomodation I've ever seen. The staff is refreshingly friendly, the rooms are German-clean, the atmosphere offers home-feelings. I really recommend this hostel for everyone out there. Keep at it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robin M
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at Milhouse Hostel in January 2013 and it was really great. It must be completely new because all the beds, pillows and lockers were brand new. Everything is very clean and the atmosphere was just amazing. It's a great place to meet people especially at the bar, where they have delicious food and great music. The bar can be a bit loud but you can't really hear it in the rooms.

What's amazing is the location. It's only about 2 blocks from the main square and there is also a supermarket just down the road. So you can get almost everywhere walking just 3 - 5 minutes. The building was a bit cold, especially at night but they provide amazing (new) blankets that kept me very warm. The breakfast was fantastic as they provided unlimited fruit, bread, jam and coca tea. Definitely one of the best hostels I've been to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Evangelina L
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stay at the Milhouse hostel for a few days before the Inca Trial. Our room was clean, with warm and comfortable beds. The shower was a bit feeble, but hot and did the job.
The hostel is well located, close to Plaza del Armas and by lots of laundry shops - handy for getting our smelly trekking clothes washed!
The hostel is large, with it's own tv/cinema room, good restaurant (although service can be quite slow and the meals are not always exactly as you ordered) and travel service.
The bar music is played quite loudly until 2am most nights and could be heard in our room, but a decent pair of earplugs sorted this!

Overall, a good hostel and worth a stay.

Hong Kong
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I have been to milhouse hipo in BA and the one in cusco. Cusco is more civilised because the age group is more diversified. You just don't have the wanna be cool and get drunk type of people but have backpackers and travellers from more diversified walk of life.

My single room was clean but the towels were WET when I got in. Still Hanging in The bathroom. Obviously it was not changed. As for the noise it was bearable at night but it might not be the case if you were closer to the bar at the back. ppl start moving in and out in the morning at 8am and the cheaply installed walls did not provide enough noise protection.

I would look elsewhere if partying was not on the agenda.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

As I lay in the tranquility of the swinging hammock situated in the serene milhouse courtyard I think about my experience of being in this hostel and it will be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. The incense is burning and the sound of the huge water fountains make me feel more relaxed and content with life then I ever have. On arrival to the milhouse we were met with friendly staff and an easy straightforward check in to our room. We booked a 3 bed Dorm for myself and myfriend but you can book dorms to share with others. Our rooms were spacious and above anything I expected for a hostel. The beds were extremely comfortable and the huge duvets meant you slept like a baby. The hostel itself is huge with an amazing courtyard filled with hammocks and huge stone pillars and very tranquil. The breakfast is what you would expect cereal, fruit and bread and unlimted herbal teas which you can have anytime of the day. The bar has an adequate range on the menu and I would definitely recommend the sandwich and fries which you can buy at any time of the day . they truly are the best sandwiches I've ever tasted and only 13 soles which works out at about 3 English pound. The bar staff are on hand when you need them . Myself and a friend booked a 5 day trek to macchu picchu months before we arrived through Sta travel who then book through bamba tours who are located in the hotel which is a blessing in disguise as your pick up points and any info needed are on hand by friendly staff. You can book through the hotel to do many tours and treks at a fraction of the price of Sta but you are not guaranteed a place as the tours do book up easily. The great thing about milhouse is that you can chill in the surroundings or spend time in the bar which is a little more lively especially at night . I do recommended ear plugs if you are a light sleeper as the music can keep you awake but I have no complaints about this as the hostel itself caters for all ages and a pair of earplugs are a god send for sleeping as well as on aeroplanes and if you decide to do any camping . The wifi is only available in the bar and reception area but the reception is another courtyard surrounded by hammocks and huge beanbags and very quiet if you would rather chill then be in the bar. Plug sockets are located everywhere as well as in the rooms so you never have to worry about being able to charge iPads , cameras etc. I would recommend this hostel for anyone wether you be someone looking for a place to reflect on life or somewhere for a good piss up and a way to meet new people the fact milhouse can cater for the two extremes is a success in itself. I would come back here again and again without hesitation and would like to thank the milhouse hostel for making my stay in cusco a memory that will last with me for a lifetime.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

First the good, we arrived and even thou our room was not ready they invited us to have breakfast at the bar, which it was pretty cool, the hostel is very close to the main square and really easy to walk to and from all the main things to do there, like restaurants, money exchange, markets etc
The hostel is very simple but cheap I could not ask for more we went on a trail and they keep our suitcases for 4 days and a taxi from this place to the airport is really cheap like 5 dollars more less.
the bad many of the ppl staying here are doing different trails like Inca trail, Jungle trail, Salcantay etc and they have to wake up really early in the morning and the band was playing until really late and we couldn´t sleep, it was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: as far to the Bar as you can
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple