“Great choice for Cusco”

Milhouse Hostel Cusco
Ranked #10 of 479 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We were in a 6 bed dorm, quite dark and no air in the rooms and if you are in the top bunk be careful you don't fall out when drunk! But on the plus side, great bar with beanbags good for chilling out, table tennis pool and table football, great staff very friendly and helpful. It was Halloween when we were there and the hostel decorated everything and had a big party, although bar was quite quiet most of the time.
Good storage facility for if you are doing the inca trail etc..
Our friend got food poisoning while we were staying here after eating chicken at the hostel, but other than that this hostel was good and I'd recommend!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Willers80
There are newer reviews for Milhouse Hostel Cusco

Reviewed November 21, 2012

It is probably the most beautiful building, which is the sad part. The hostel itself, is a complete horror show.

The beds look like they belong in prison. The cleaning lady doesn't even make the bed, you have to do it yourself!!! You get to put your own sheets on the dirty mattress and pay good money for it.

The only wifi is in the bar which is INSANELY loud and you can not SKYPE or do anything online at night because the party crowd is too much for even your headphones.

The staff is completely useless and really don't care about anything at all.

The place is HUGE.... They are making money and that is all they care about. I am completely disgusted by this "hostel" "backpacker's" place.

I have been traveling for 12 years and have stayed in many hostels in my time but none have put me off like this one.

The bathroom smells completely horrible and is flithy. It all appears great from the outside but from this place's root there is some serious evil going on.

I really can't believe this is the same place that I researched.

I strongly urge everyone to not give them any money as this is all they are concerned with... I think Loki or Kokopelli would be a much better vibe and appeal to a larger audience than a 17-year old punk scene that is here.

It is so frustrating to land in a place that shows such little respect for people who pay to stay here.

STAY AWAYYYYY!!!!!

HAHAHHAHAH and as I am filling the rest of the form out it is talking about a pool and a fitness center... I haven't even seen this... either it is a lie or a complete mistake on the person who "checked" me in...

I really hate this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Will G
paulsarfati, Owner at Milhouse Hostel Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

I understand that you didn’t enjoy yourself at the hostel, and I´m certainly very sorry for that.

However, I regret you saying untrue facts about the hostel giving other travellers false impressions on purpose. The mattresses are absolutely all brand new and in perfect conditions, and you know it. It is absolutely not true they are dirty. And, our cleaning ladies actually make the beds in all the rooms, even in dorms, even when this is not a regular procedure in hostels. We are really not sure what you where expecting. We are not a 4* Hotel, we are a Hostel and we are a nice Hostel with great service and very clean.

The staff is all local and very enthusiastic about the job. I´m really sorry you didn´t get them or didn’t feel well treated. Probably it´s a matter of different culture, and I apologize for this.

As for the showers, it´s the first thing that all our guests congratulate us on, so I'm surprised you didn't like them! We have done plenty of works so that they provide amazing strong water, and they do:) Also, all our guests at the time of your stay were 21st + …so I´m not sure what 17-year old punk scene you are referring to. I´m absolutely surprised by your anger and I believe there´s another reason why you are making all this angry statements. Whatever it is, I would love to have you back and show you that most of the things above are not exactly like you put them.

Melina

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was really not expecting the hostel to be this good. The Milhouse Backpackers & Hotel does not look like much from the outside, but as soon as you walk through the door you enter a beautiful colonial courtyard. I wanted to stay in a hostel with authentic Peruvian/colonial architecture and that is exactly what I found. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. I stayed in a 6 person dorm room which had an it's own bathroom. I don't remember any of the other hostels I stayed at in South America having an ensuite bathroom. The restaurant is pretty good too, I would eat there at least once a day. They organised little BBQ while I was there which was nice as I met a lot people that were also staying there.

Room Tip: You can ask them for a heater at the reception
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Cannot recommend enough. We stayed here for 10 days - before and after the Inca trail - and paid for 8 nights out of 10 (if you stay 4 nights you get the 5th night free). Breakfast is more than just bread and jam as you get fruit and cereals too. Helpful staff, although the guy from the tour agency within the hostel (Bamboo) doesn't really know much. They do a free city tour which is good to find your bearings. Film room and table tennis as well as fusball and pool so if the weathers not great you can entertain yourself. Cheap bar and an indoor and outdoor chill out space.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Gabbyfq4
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great hostel with lovely private rooms, showers hot and powerful. Have US dollars as you need to pay on arrival. Only wi-fi in the bar which is one negative! Friendly staff, good activities in the bar at night and ping pong table. Lots to keep you entertained!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This year I traveled for 6 months in South America, from Venezuela down to Patagonia. There were some good hostels along the way but Milhouse, Cuzco was by far the best. It just opened so everything is brand spanking new. The beds and mattresses are all new so they are super comfortable and clean. I think what I liked best was that it's only one block away from the main street. You could walk everywhere in less than 5 minutes in less than 5 minutes including the main square, all the major tourist sites and the super market to buy groceries.

The bar is awesome to have a few drinks, party and meet people. And unlike other hostels in Cuzco, their bar is perfectly placed at the back of the hostel so you can't hear any of the noise in the rooms. The bar also has a terrace with stunning views of Cusco. The breakfast although simple, was extremely delicious. But I think the best part was their staff. They are really friendly are always helpful. I actually had a problem with my trains to Machu Picchu and the staff went out of their way and went with me to the train company to fix the problem. It was really 5* hotel service in a hostel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank MrInternational02
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I arrived here after having spent a month travelling through Bolivia, and was extremely pleased to find a good hot shower and a big comfortable bed. I stayed in a dorm room, which was a really good size, with on suite bathroom and a really handy space in the wall with a light and plug to charge my ipod safely at night. The building is really pretty and really close to the main square, the food is also good and I have had some really fun nights at the bar. I am travelling alone and have found it a really good hostel to meet people. I have now been here almost a month and am still really enjoying my time at Milhouse.

Would highly recommend it to anyone planning a stay in Cusco

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo