“Beautiful views of Cusco in an impeccable, intimate place”
Review of Hostal Wara Wara

and 1 more site!
Hostal Wara Wara
Ranked #5 of 351 Cusco B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Beautiful views of Cusco in an impeccable, intimate place”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We are a young couple from New York and traveled to Cusco in December 2012. We stayed at Wara Wara and it proved to be a lovely choice. It's only 10 minutes walking from the Plaza de Armas and yes in Cusco, that means there are some stairs, but you will not regret it. The view from where Wara Wara is perched is priceless at night and I think all the rooms have this view.

The owners are a young, friendly couple, Viviana and Miguel, who will make your stay truly special. Because it's a more intimate hostal with a few rooms, there's a unique friendly atmosphere and you will get genuine attention and advice from the hosts, Viviana and Miguel. They will help you with planning your trips and sharing advice and stories, they bring in a brand and have live music nights at the hostal when there are more guests. Price wise, I don't think you can beat their rooms, compared to the pricier 3-star lodges listed in Lonely Planet. Great experience, I will always remember the couple and next time in Cusco, we will definitely plan our nights there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in January 2013 and are so glad that we did. Viviana and Miguel are amazing hosts. From the first moments we walked in, it felt like we were staying with old friends who were excited to be hosting us. Here are a few reasons why you should book your stay in Cusco at Hostal Wara Wara:

1- Viviana and Miguel: Honestly two of the friendliest and 'coolest' (yes, I said coolest) people we have ever met. They will bend over backwards to help with anything you need, including help with planning your day, booking rides, giving advice, recommendations, etc. But we also thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them during the 4 days we were there.

2- Location: Great location, just a few blocks from the main town square. Amazing view as well. Close to many great restaurants.

3- Clean: My wife and I are very picky when it comes to cleanliness and this place was very clean.

4- Miguel is an amazing cook. We always really enjoyed breakfast and one night he cooked us some great quinoa. We recommend staying in for dinner one night to try it!

5- Cost. Currently Wara Wara is the #3 ranked B&B. You could stay at Wara Wara for 3-4 nights for the price of 1 night at 'Second Home' or Quinua Villa. I haven't stayed at the those 2 places so I can't speak to the value for those prices, but I can say that you won't get better service, and unless they are 5-star luxury suites, you won't get 3-4 times the quality either.

Lastly, by way of comparison: we stayed at Hostal Pension Alamena (ranked #4) for one night before we stayed at Wara Wara. Pension Alamena costs roughly double, yet we would stay at Hostal Wara Wara any day over Pension Alamena.

Thanks Miguel and Viviana for making our trip to Cusco so memorable!

5 Thank BValderas
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Viviana and Miguel are great hosts. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable in Cusco. Viviana was very helpful and gave us great recommendations for places to visit. Miguel is a great cook and made really good vegetarian dinner just for my wife and me. The rooms are also very nice and comfortable, with great views of Cusco from the common balcony area. My wife and I had a great time here!

1 Thank Adarsh J
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Hostal Wara Wara in November and really loved our time there. The rooms (we stayed in two different ones) were clean, comfortable and had all the things we needed. Viviana and Miguel were the most fantastic hosts - warm, friendly and very happy people who were more than happy to go above and beyond to help us out. We had two very early starts and they left food out for us for breakfast and a hot thermos for tea. The view of the Plaza is fantastic and it's only a 3 minute walk down the hill to get there. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hel T
Bogota
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very nice place with the best view of town. The owners, Viviane and Miguel make a very honest and pleased effort to make your stay the best. The food is great, the rooms are clean and pleasant, and the dining room makes you feel at home. If we get back to Cusco we would not doubt to book again with Wara Wara as our first choice. Greetings and thanks, Bart, Virginia anna (6 years), Carlos, Maria Cecilia and Helena (9years) from Colombia.

Room Tip: The hotel has a great view over the old town and is just some blocks away from the main square.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bart V
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The overwhelming thing I would like to convey here is how unbelievably big hearted, generous and kind Miguel and Vivianna are. It's by far and away the best place we've stayed in our 6 month odyssey in this respect. From the first moment of meeting (which was at the unpleasant time of just before 6AM when Miguel got up especially for us) the level of care, friendliness and service was incredible.

As far as the hostel goes, you couldn't ask for a better view! It overlooks the main square and has a lovely view of the night-time cityscape. It is up a pretty mean hill, but it's worth it for the vistas. And service in general. The hostel (I think B&B or hotel is more appropriate) is clean and well appointed. The showers are hot, which you cannot always count on in South America, and there are plenty of blankets should the generally low night temperatures of Cusco get the better of you. The cup of tea and hot shower after a soaking horse ride was most welcome.

The beds are comfy, and the communal area - where breakfast is served - is a really nice place to sit and get to know the other guests as well as the hosts. The breakfast itself was great; cooked fresh and different every day. It was all egg based, which to my mind is perfect as it sets you up for the day. The bread and chocolate / arequipe (can't remember the Peruvian word only the Colombian sorry!) are seemingly infinite as well should you have a large appetite.

The rooms are also very well proportioned. We staggered a 5 night stay and tried two rooms, both of which were lovely.

The hosts however are really what make this place stand out. We walked away with two new friends. My girlfriend was very ill towards the end of our stay with a nasty stomach bug, but Miguel and Vivianna were always on hand offering something and making sure we were ok. Previously they also were incredibly helpful offering info on trips we could do (and organising one for the Sacred Valley) and giving us restaurant tips (it's a 5 minute walk to central Cusco and some great eateries). They also organised a live band one night and offered home cooked food which was lovely and a really entertaining evening.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Thank you to both Miguel and Vivianna for everything.

Room Tip: The double room, I think number 6 has a great view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roadie12
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was the most amazing hostal I have ever stayed in. The rooms are clean and perfect with their own bathroom. The breakfast cooked by Miguel and Vivianna was delicious and they made extra effort to assure our time in Cusco was unforgettable. They had a live band come for NYE and it was one of the highlights of our trip. They made us feel at home. I will recommend this hostal to any friends visiting Cusco and I will stay here any time I travel to Cusco. absolutely perfect.

Vivianna and Miguel (Luciano too) - you guys were amazing. truly wonderful. keep up the amazing work and I hope to see you guys again soon!

1 Thank Kelly M