“I owe my life to Señora Maria...”

and 1 more site!
Hospedaje Kuntur Wasi
Ranked #52 of 499 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Dear friends, I know this may sound a bit off topic, but if it weren't for dear Señora Maria, the splendid lady that owns and runs Kuntur Wasi with tender loving care, I wouldn't be of this world anymore. After a couple of days in Cusco, where I was suffering a bit for the altitude, I had a very bad night and following day. Everyone thought it was because of the altitude (including myself and my girlfriend), and Señora Maria prepared for me a lovely tea with roasted rice and toasted bread. But after some hours Señora Maria and my girlfriend decided against my will that I needed to be visited by a doctor. This saved my life. I was on the verge of peritonitis. Luckily the following morning I went into surgery and was saved...
Having said this, I hope you won't have my experience, but I do recommend Señora Maria's Kuntur Wasi. It's a beautiful place, with an amazing view on Cusco and the surrounding mountains and... you will never forget meeting Señora Maria!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 19, 2011

In search of a quiet, relaxing and conveniently located hostal.... Stay at Kuntur wasi on Tandapata in Cusco. We stayed there for seven nights in a matrimonial room and enjoyed every minute of it. The accommodations are excellent, free coca tea all day, hot water shower, comfortable beds, prompt room cleaning service, wifi and Internet,  close to many restaurants and five minute walk down to plaza de armas. The staff at Kuntur Wasi are extremely knowledgeable of Cusco and surrounding area and were super helpful with whatever we needed. Owner Fernando offered many recommendations, tours, day trips, machu picchu information and even minor medical advise pertaining to altitude sickness! I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Hot water. Free coca te TO HELP ALTITUDE PROBLEMS. good breakfast.
Clean, lovely helpful staff. Safe.
Lovely area to explore. Nice little shops, bars and reataurants close by if we wanted to stay near the hostel.
Hotel at top of hill on very narrow streett. Enjoyed the walk down to the main square but coming back up was too much. Taxi about £2 between 3 of us.

Room Tip: All seemed very good and the shared facilities were good - we had en suite but we looked around.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We spent 6 nights here and enjoyed our stay for the most part. The hotel is very clean, there are plenty of blankets on the bed for warmth (no heat), you get fresh towels every day, and the staff is very friendly.

The only trouble we experienced was with water. We didn't have water twice while we were there, and the other times we often did not have cold water so the showers were boiling hot. Our neighbors did not have water for 3 days, and when they asked to change rooms they were told no, so they left. Hopefully this issue has been fixed by now, but be aware.

Also, if you don't speak Spanish, you will not be able to ask the hotel for information about Cusco. They are usually not around much during the day and don't speak English very well so you will have to seek tourist advice elsewhere. Despite these few issues, the place is really good value, as we found many other places in Cusco much more expensive for comparable accommodation.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Kuntur Wasi is great! My favorite place to stay in Peru. The owners are super friendly. They will do everything they can to help you out. On my last day in Cusco I had to leave the hotel at 5am to catch a flight. The owner was up then to make sure the taxi arrived and to see me off.

They make you feel like you're part of the family when you stay there. I spent loads of time playing games with their son Salvador.

The hotel is also really nice - kind of a hybrid between a bed and breakfast and a hotel. There is a lovely large lobby area with a sunny transparent greenhouse-style roof and a wood oven. The room I was in had a balcony with a beatuful view across the Cusco valley. I didn't go out on the balcony though - at eye level above the balcony there is a gnarly tangle of electrical wires.

As others on here have mentioned, the San Blas neighborhood is amazing.
The only thing I recommend is that you pick up a pair of heavy alpaca socks. The rooms in Kuntur Wasi have heavy tile floors and there is no heating. In the morning they get pretty cold

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Definitely recommend, we ended up staying here over 2 weeks. Great location on the edge of San Blas with its wide choice of "picanterias" restaurants, bars and corner shops and 10min walk from the busy Plaza de Armas. Owners and staff were very friendly, good breakfast, tea available throughout the day and rooms clean and a good size. Only let down by the temperamental plumbing, hot water was generally available throughout the day but very early in the morning was problematic.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I can't believe we found this place before we got to Cusco, what luck! What seemed like a hike up the hill to get there turned into the perfect training to get used to the altitude, and a bonus view over the city. Close to Plaza de Armas, yet on a quiet street. We planned on staying for a day or two, but ended up there for a week. It's all about the hospitality, and the owners really care about what they're doing. Fernando is familiar with the area and how to get from A to B, he was able to shape parts of our trip that allowed us to see so much more of the Sacred Valley. If he hadn't sparked up that conversation we would have fumbled through the next week and lost a lot of time and money. Thanks again for everything!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple