“Great breakfast, Warmth in the cold”

Los Apus Hotel & Mirador
Ranked #17 of 167 Hotels in Cusco
La
“Great breakfast, Warmth in the cold”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights with no problem leaving our bags with them in between when we did the Inca Trek.
Quiet area, safe, good location. 10 minute walk uphill from Plaza De Armas.
Every room has a radiator which warms up the entire room nicely.
Comfy, firmer beds (which appears to be the standard across all hotels in Peru).
Showers take ~5 minutes to warm up.
Small TV.
Breakfast- Great spread of a variety of fruits, bread, eggs to be ordered, juices, cereal, yogurt.
Staff was helpful.
Hotel seemed a little expensive at ~$70/night compared to some other places, but we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the recommendations on TripAdvisor and I was severely disappointed. Conveniently located to the Plaza de Armas main square this cozy little hotel failed to live up to its high praise here. Time and again the staff failed to deliver on basic hotel services or even their stated services.

I booked my room through another website and asked to be picked up at the airport, a service they state they provide. When I arrived from a morning flight, nobody was waiting for me and i had to get a taxi to take me to the hotel. Once there, the service continued to disappoint.

I didn't realize the different power outlet requirement in Peru so I didn't buy the necessary adapter before I flew out. No problem, the hotel's information book indicates that they can provide one for their guests. But when I went to the front desk for one, they said that they didn't have any.

Further I was told that they overbooked the hotel and asked if I would be willing to relocate to a different hotel for no additional charge. I agreed since it was going to be at the Eco Inn, a pricier and higher star rating.

When I checked in I specifically asked for an early morning wake up call for the next day. I wanted to explore the Plaza and the nearby neighborhoods before my scheduled tour activities. I never got the call. Luckily I woke up before my tour arrived by about 30 minutes, but that meant I couldn't explore the city square a little bit. When I complained about the missed call, the woman at the front desk simply said, "Okay," without any apology.

When I returned from doing my touristy things at night, I once again asked the front desk for an early morning wake up. I was going to catch the 6AM train to Machu Picchu the next day and I definitely did not want to miss that. I specifically complained to the front desk that they missed the wake up call that morning and asked for a 5AM wake up call. We decided that I would pay the bill now, rather than the next morning. Since I was being transferred to another hotel while I was away, I had to trust the hotel staff to do its job.

Unfortunately, the water for my room stopped working entirely at around 8PM and never came back on when I checked out the next day. No hot water. No cold water. No water period. Once more I complained to the front desk and the staff were busily throwing various power switches on and off. No attempts to explain what happened or accommodations made. After waiting for an hour for them to fix, or at least explain what was going on, I gave up on taking a shower that night. I went to bed exhausted and frustrated.

Once again, the hotel staff failed to wake me up at all. When I brought my luggage to the front desk, because I was being transferred, the front desk person seemed confused at what was going on. After I explained what was going on, he seemed confused and simply replied, "Okay" when I left him my luggage. This left me with little confidence the staff could handle my hotel transfer competently.

With little confidence in the Los Apus, it was difficult to enjoy my day at Machu Picchu. Their service was so poor it caused me to cut my visit short by two hours just so I could get back to the city to make sure I had a room at the other hotel. And when I got to the Eco Inn, they had no reservation for me in my name. I explained the situation to them and they had no reservation for me.

I provided them the Los Apus name and they contacted the front desk to figure out what was going on. About 30 minutes later the Los Apus called back and the two hotels discussed what happened. Finally I had a room for my last night, and they had my luggage. The one thing the Los Apus actually did correctly.

I wanted to like the Los Apus hotel, but with no airport transportation service that I asked for, the two missed wake up calls, the lack of running water for a night, their overbooking of rooms and their poor management of transferring me to another hotel, there's no way I'd stay at this hotel again.

If all you want is a place close to the Plaza de Armas to sleep and not much else, this hotel will fit the bill. But if you're looking for a hotel where the staff is capable of doing something other than checking people in and out, and running a basic buffet breakfast go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Chicago
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Cusco late at night and tired. The driver didn't speak English so it was a bit scary. The name of the hotel is barely visible on the wall and there is no entrance from the street rather you have to go up the stairs on side street. This was confusing as we didn't know if we were in the right place. No heat in the lobby but hot tea was available. Very nice room. Nice bathroom but no dryer. We requested laundry and got it back in excellent state/ folded and smelling great. Super nice breakfast and even provided baggies to take fruit with. Close to main square but bit of a workout as its up the hill.

• Stayed May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This place was great! They picked us up at the airport and brought us to the hotel, which is walking distance to the main plaza (plaza de armas). We read other trip advisor review before our visit and learned to request room 301. This room had its own little balcony. The room was nothing elaborate, but it was clean and had a comfortable bed. We had to wait a bit for hot water in the shower, but eventually we had a hot shower. The staff was very friendly. There is a great free breakfast upstairs on the rooftop and they cook omelets to order and have a variety of fruits and other breakfast goodies. We stayed at the hotel for a few days and then left for a four day trek. We were able to leave a couple bags behind at no charge. Great place, well organized, clean and a great location. Highly recommended.

1 Thank AlisonH15
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the Apus Hotel for 5 days while we were in Cusco, the rooms are clean and staff super helpful, quite and warm with a good bed and great shower although it took a little while for the hot water to get to our room with a little patience we were able to have long steamy hot shower.
Breakfast was hearty and plentiful and we were pleasantly surprise to have our cab charged paid to the airport by the hotel when we left, they we also super helpful and allowed us a late check out as our flight was leaving late that day

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We knew we would be tired when we arrived, having just made the long flight from the States and waiting several hours in Lima until we could catch the first flight to Cusco, but the staff at the hotel were wonderful--allowing us to check in at 9:30 am, providing us with juice and breakfast on arrival, and expediting the check-in service to allow us to catch a nap to recharge for our visit. While the accommodations are not very user-friendly for those with disabilities (lots of stairs, no elevator in sight) we found them to be comfortable. The staff is exceptional and accommodating--holding on to extra baggage when we took the train to Machu Picchu and having it placed in our room when we returned a few days later. The hotel is located in a great area, fairly close to Plaza de Armas and lots of shops and restaurants. The staff also gave plenty of information about how to get around, called taxis, arranged transportation to and from the airport and were generally quite helpful. The breakfast buffet was tasty, with eggs cooked to order and several fruits and pastries, in addition to ham and cheese selections. While the lobby can be chilly (wear a jacket to breakfast), they do have some patio heaters there and they warmed up the space somewhat. We ate one dinner here as well, and it was delicious. We enjoyed our visit at this hotel.

Room Tip: Road noise can be an issue if you are sensitive to that--ask for a room away from Choquechaca street...