“Charming boutique hotel with great location”
Review of Tampu Hotel

Tampu Hotel
Ranked #186 of 499 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It's a beautiful little hotel located just 3 blocks away from the main plaza and within walking distance of Cusco's main attractions. Rooms have been recently renovated and the hotel's decoration is really nice! It uses the same colours as those in traditional Andean textiles.

The staff and service were great. The receptionist offered to book tours for us upon our arrival, and made restaurant reservations whenever we needed them. Also, whenever I had a problem (which was just once or twice during my stay), there would always be someone ready to offer their help and solve it.

I stayed at this hotel for New Year's 2012-2013 and was pleasantly surprised to see the staff left a little gift on every guests' bed on New Year's Eve - a lovely detail from their part.

The one thing which wasn't really spectacular was breakfast. Even though it's included in the room rate, there's not much variety offered in the buffet. For the price we paid, I think it was ok, but I wouldn't have said no to a bit more variety.

I also think they could consider including central heating or something of that sort.. It got kind of chilly at night.

Nevertheless, this is a lovely hotel! I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marissa D

Reviewed April 17, 2012

A friend set us up at this hotel rather last minute during a business trip. Fantastic tip for us. The hotel is within walking distance to restaurants and Inka attractions, and had reliable wifi in room and within the lobby. The hotel is small, but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Rooms are a bit tight on space but freshly renovated and clean. Easy quick breakfast set us up for a good morning start.

Initial access a bit tight in that there is no place for cars/taxi to hang in front of the hotel since it is on an avenue, and bags need to be hauled up a steep staircase, but you only do this once.

I kept the manager's card and intend to book here next time in Cuzco; no doubt.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Roland R
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I was under the impression that this was a three star hotel and was very disappointed when I got to the room. It is by NO means a three star hotel by US standards. The bathroom was very old with dingy peeling wallpaper and a shabby shower curtain.The room was quite spacious but had old carpets and the linens/bed cover had definitely seen better days. I have to say that the room had its own charm but it definitely did not have the comfort that I was seeking. On the weekends there is a bingo establishment very close by and you can hear the numbers being called out loud until very late hours (earplugs are essential). I paid $44/night and I do believe it is possible to get the same (relatively low) standard for less. The staff was very friendly and helpful and there is a computer with free internet access in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2008

The staff at Hotel Cristina are very friendly and helpful to some extend.
The room itself was very depressing, mainly because it had no window to the outside, it only opened in a hallway, which made me very claustrophobic! I did request another room, and was promised that it will be looked into, but nothing happened.
Also, for some strange reason, the hot water is operated with a switch near the front desk, and will be turned on if requested. The shower itself was horrible to say he least. The shower head itself is in need of replacement, 5 years ago, as a massive stream of water nearly knocks you out! The hot water sytem was not explained at all at check-in, which would have prevented me from standing in front of a shabby shower for 10 minutes waiting for the water to heat up!
Breakfast was not bad, and the member of staff was very friendly and efficient. The location of the breakfast hall was not revealed at check-in. A last point, the hotel is very dark inside, as almost all lights are switched of in the hallways It took me a while to locate all the switches. I know its tough times, but within reason please!

Basically, this place has got a lot of potential. I really think a leaflet, explaining how things work would be highly beneficial. I understand that this is a budget hotel, but I do think the price is way to high for what you get. The location is excellent, and it is near all the shops and plazas.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 9, 2008

The price was a touch high, but the people that helped us out were fantastic. They went out of our way to answer any questions that we had, telling us the best places to visit and eat, ect. The location was good, just a few block from the Plaza. I stayed for 5 nights and had one morning without hot water, but that was not so bad. Overall, a great place to stay, especially if you go with your partner. The rooms on the main street are kind of loud, but exciting to watch the protesters go by. If you are a sensitive sleeper, go for a room in the back. We ended up moving rooms a few nights into our stay, but it was no problem.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We stayed for three nights, I have to say the excellent service showed since we arrived at the reception.
I was feeling very bad due to the high altitude in Cusco, as soon as the recepcionist Sandra knew I was not feeling well she offered to prepare me a "coca leaves" tea which really helped and it also felt so good to have the hotel staff caring about their guest needs.
It is a budget hotel, it is not a hostal, we had a our own bathroom in the room, the room was decently clean, the carpet is old and could use a change, the rooms are spacious, the beds are OK not the best but good enough to have a good night rest.
The bathroom tube looked really old but nothing bad, the hotel is family owned and run and it was great to have personal service from the owners, they care because it is their business.
Excellent location just steps from the main plaza and a lot of good restaurants walking distance from the hotel.
The continental breakfast in the morning was good and they help us arrange a city tour.
Roberto and Frabizio the owners were extremely friendly professional and helpful it was a pleasure to stay at their hotel.
I will go back to this hotel no question about it, for a budget hotel you get a 5 star hotel service.
When had the simpliest request such as clean towels they were taken care of promptly.
We felt at home at this charming small colonial hotel in one of the most beautiful colonial towns in the world, Cusco.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Mariacjones
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Everyone at this hotel is friendly and helpful, especially in giving advice about tours, restaurants and history. Any question we had about Cusco was easily answered by the knowledgeable staff. Anything we needed, including a hair dryer, was given to us with a smile. Everyone went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The rooms are super cute and cozy. The hostal has unique hallways and interesting common areas. I highly recommend staying here!

Stayed: July 2007