“great hotel, great location, great staff”
Review of Royal Inka I

Royal Inka I
Ranked #36 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed January 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed here the week of Dec.11 thru Dec.18. First the location. Literally close to everything, only 1 block from the Plaza de Armas, the main square in Cuzco. Also directly in front of the hotel is a small, pretty little park.
Second, the hotel itself. They told us when we booked it that a buffet breakfast was included....we did not expect more than a few cold items. We were so wrong.....an excellent hot breakfast with great variety and an awesome omelette station. The lunch and dinner menu is simple but excellent with great sandwiches and appetizers, although we only ate there maybe 5 times, but all meals were excellent. When booked thru the website, airport transfers are also included, great service. The rooms we stayed in were in there brand new wing, with 30 new rooms, which were really nice, extremely clean, plenty of hot water and surrounded a beautiful courtyard, also great bathrooms. I peeked into thier "older" rooms and they were small and simple, but looked very clean. I was told that renovations on those rooms were beginning in 2007.
When you go on tours, Royal Inka Tours offered all the standard tours such as the Cuzco City Tour, the Sacred Valley Tour and of course the Machu Picchu Tour. I declined and tried to book everything on my own. BIG MISTAKE. First it is almost impossible to get anyone on the phone and if you do they barely speak English. Most do not accept credit cards, so you have no protection. I tried to book tours while I was down there and what you are promised is not what you get. Thank goodness I only booked the Cuzco City Tour....what a disaster.....the pick up was late, the tour was with a barely English speaking guide who barely could care if we were happy or not. When I got back to Royal Inka some other guests were also arriving from thier City Tour and looked really happy with thier tour and guide. I asked them where they booked it and of course they said with Royal Inka Tours at the same time they booked thier room. I immediately booked the Sacred Valley tour and Machu Picchu tour with Royal Inka and everything they promised was delivered and more, plus I could put everything on my credit card.
The Staff. One of the most genuine, helpful staffs I ever encountered. I have traveled to many great destinations and am convinced this staff could work in any of them. All speak English(plus several other languages) and all are very knowledgeable of the surrounding area, including restaurants and nightlife. I tipped them a couple of dollars here and there and it makes a HUGE difference, plus they deserve it.
I should also mention that Royal Inka has a great bar area with an incredible happy hour from 6PM to 8PM with 2 for 1 cocktails. Needless to say it is a great crowd every night and a great place to share stories with travelers from all over the U.S. Europe and Asia. Met great new friends.
All in all it was a great trip with great tours, beautiful history and an excellent hotel with awesome services. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank luv2travel04

Reviewed October 8, 2006

Nice location. Clean. OK lobby. Rooms can be bad. Facing into a courtyard, many by doorways and steps - passing people a problem. One room is without ANY windows! A couple of rooms are bigger and off the main stars and walkway (e.g. 721). Likely to get caught by tour lady at the airport as she provides a pick up to the hotel (the hotel has a desk at the airport). For the money I think there better hotels in this lovely city.

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank Whatbob
Reviewed September 10, 2006

I stayed at the Royal Inka I hotel in August, 2006 as part of an 8 person group trek. When we arrived at the hotel, we were ushered into the back meal area to complete our paperwork; our bags were kept as a group nearby. When we finished the paperwork, my backpack was missing. The bags were in an area away from the street and really only accessible to the hotel workers. The manager did nothing to try and find my bag, nor did she offer any type of compensation.

My brother also had his watch stolen by the maid.

This hotel is dishonest - you may get a good rate, but watch your things very carefully!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank trek921
Reviewed July 6, 2006

A charming Peruvian hotel. We stayed here for 4 nights before going to Machu Picchu and one night after our trip. This is an ideal hotel, location and price in Cusco, located facing a square only one block away from the Plaza des Armas. Ask for a room with a balcony and you can watch all the activities happening in the square, the locals love to hold rallies, demonstate and parade (yes you do have to climb up 3 wooden steps to the balcony but this only adds to the charm). We didn't find it too noisy at night.
Our room was a good sized double with a decent sized bathroom. The breakfast was more than adequate with fruit, cereals, rolls, cold cuts, cheeses, sliced tomatoes & cucumber, eggs and coffee (more choices than most people eat at home!). The indoor atrium upstairs is a delightful place to sit and drink tea.
Safety deposits boxes are available and they will store your extra luggage while you go on the Inka trail. Arrange ahead of time for the staff to pick you up at the airport or bus station (free of charge).
The Royal Inka I is less expensive than its sister hotel Royal Inka II. Royal Inka II is only half a block away, on a side street, catering to lots of tour groups so it's much more crowded and noisier. All the facilities of the Royal Inka II are available to guests of the Royal Inka I so why pay the higher room rate

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank CLWToronto
Reviewed July 1, 2006

We stayed in the both the old and new parts of the hotel. The old part is full of character where rooms are off a large central enclosed courtyard . Our room on the first floor was a very small double however others were larger. We had a bacony overlooking the square which although hard to access (up some steps and through a wooden shuttered window) was a bit special. Some had no windows at all. The room was a very small double: for one night this was fine but any longer would have been a nightmare! The bathroom was again very small and as in most older peruvian hotels lighting was very poor. Noise from the outside and inside was noticable. The room generally was however a bit shabby. At breakfast which was very good-usual fare plus ommlette we met the manager who gave us new rooms in the new wing for our return from the sacred valley. These rooms although lacking any character completely had large comfortable beds and bright large bathrooms which we appreciated following our Inca Trail walk. Staff try very hard to please and following our special relationship with the manager could not have been more helpful.
Hotel is in a very good postion walkable to all the major sites and evening entertainments.
Given the large number of room sizes and styles within the hotel it may pay to look at what is availble before accepting any allocated room. As the new wing was brand new (just opened) I'm not certain how much more expensive it is-we did not have to pay for our upgrade at all.
I would use it again( the old part is really different) however would need to see my room before staying longer than one night

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank KevanEastYorkshire
Reviewed May 31, 2006

Cusco was wonderful and Royal Inka was definately a safe bet for international travel. The hotel had character and it was very safe. Rooms and bathrooms were average with balconies looking towards the Plaza. Location was perfect and close to everything. Breakfast every morning....the only thing I would say is that I think at 90 USD a night we over paid. There are some really cheap great deals in Peru and we paid the most out of everyone we met. Overall, I'm very happy with our stay though!

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank toons
Reviewed January 16, 2006

We stayed here two nights - one before and one after our Inka Trail trek. Both nights were in cozy rooms that looked like a nice Bed and Breakfast back home in the states. Both were really clean and the staff was extremely helpful.

On the downside, you have to go up lots of steps to get to the rooms - not too bad unless you aren't aclimitized yet. Also, the plaza is close by and you definately hear all the bars until the wee hours of the night. Last, the power went out for most of one night - good thing we had flashlights to pack for our trip the next day.

Overall, a very good value for the area if you don't want to spend hundreds a night for the Monestario or a couple bucks for a simple hostel.

• Stayed: October 2005