“Good for a short stay”

Ranked #41 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
Lima
“Good for a short stay”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here for New Year's in Cusco, since we've read so much about the craziness of this celebration in this city. The hotel's location is excellent but it's an old building so it comes with the amenities (or lack of it) of a typical old hotel. You would not want to stay here for more than 3 nights.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family and I stayed here for the New Year and it lacked some basics. Upon arrival the hotel was dark and the staff was new not knowing where our room was, we did a tour of the property with luggage to find we were in the attic room. Immediately upon entering and getting settled we were back in the lobby trying to have our downstairs neighbor dealt with because of marijuana smoke being sent directly into our room to cover the pot smoke the guest decided to chain smoke cigarettes. This was an ongoing theme of our stay making several visits to the lobby to no avail.

The pot/cigarette smoke was not nearly as disturbing as the club music that bumped the room from 10:30 at night until at least 3am both nights we were there. We were there for the New Years celebration and due to the thin windows and our location in the attic room there was no relief from the ongoing noise from the Plaza couple that with the underlying thump of club music all night and you have a pretty miserable experience..

I recommend this hotel to deaf pot smokers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the night club
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kareshack
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I spent 3 nights here in November. The main thing about this hotel is the actual building itself. It is one of the most characterful and interesting hotels I have stayed in while travelling in Peru. There are different internal courtyards with surrounding balconies where the rooms are located, and these are a great place to sit and soak up the ambience of the hotel. The building itself was a former colonial home and I believe one of the oldest in Cusco. You can really imagine what a fine place it would have been to live in and I am sure it has fine history.
The room I stayed in was at the front and was split over 2 floors with one of those fine external wooden colonial balconies you see throughout Cusco
When staying here i think you should not try to compare the rooms to those found in standard hotels as they are not all uniform and regular (boring), but for mine at least, oozed a certain charm which I found extremely welcome.
The normal hotel things were good as well - breakfasts were good with a great omelette bar with choice of added ingredients, hot water plentiful, and the staff friendly and helpful.
Location perfect as well, one block from the main plaza and opposite another smaller plaza which was very pleasant to sit in.
If I return to Cusco I will certainly stay here again and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to stay that is different to possibly anywhere else they have stayed in Peru..

Room Tip: Go for one of the rooms at the front with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Louis B
Montreal
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed five nights in this hotel. You cant beat the location of this hotel. It is a charming old building on a square one block from the Plaza de Armas right next to museums, restaurants, and all the services. Do eat at Chicha right next door which was a fabulous restaurant.

The staff are helpful, the breakfast is very good, with eggs, fresh fruit, juices and so on. The hotel bar has a great 2 for 1 deal on pisco sours and other drinks during Happy Hour (which lasts from 4 - 8 p.m.). Overall this hotel was good value for the price.

Our only complaints are that the wifi was weak in our room (although fine in the common areas) and on a couple of nights groups of hotel guests arriving\departing late made a lot of noise due in part to the wood floors of the hotel while rolling their suitcases.

We would stay at this hotel again although perhaps not on the courtyard side.

Room Tip: Courtyard side rooms can be noisy because of the wood floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed with a group for a volunteer project. When the project was finished we changed rooms to stay on for one additional night - the 8th floor room was much roomer than the 6th floor room, and has a much better view.

The staff are very nice - friendly and helpful, mostly with proficient English.

Location is awesome to access restaurants, ATMs and local attractions on foot.

If you change anything on your reservation, get it in writing. Someone in our group verbally added nights to their reservation (on Tuesday they asked to stay on from Saturday for a few more nights). However, they were asked to leave. I don't know if it was because of a language issue or .... but it could have been avoided by getting something in writing. The hotel managed to find them a room at their sister hotel, but only after much insistence.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window. Most have a door and window facing the interior courtyard of the build...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I just spent one night (October 5, 2013) in this hotel. When we reserved it, it looked much nicer in the picture, so it was a disappointment when we arrived there. The room was very small and old. The old style TV set is placed in a dangerous way, so several times we were in risk of hitting it with our heads. The ceiling light was very bright and there was no way to dim it while you were in bed. Other than that, breakfast was pretty good, and most people are helpful. In general, I would not come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yilda R
Cle Elum, Washington
Reviewed September 29, 2013

One block from Plaza de Armas, there couldn't be a more convenient base for Cusco. Coca tea always available in the lobby, helpful front desk staff, clean comfortable rooms opening onto an indoor atrium. The breakfast was good with made-to-order omelets and a variety of other hot and cold foods.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple