“Good location, great breakfasts, downhill from there”
Review of Royal Inka I

Royal Inka I
Ranked #37 of 170 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed August 28, 2012

After staying at the Royal Inka in Pisac, we had higher hopes for this urban property. Despite a friendly and helpful staff, we were disappointed with everything other than the generous healthy breakfast and the location, near the Plazas.

The property is very oddly configured with many, many rooms not having windows or light. Others are squirrelled away in 1/2 level niches with stagnant energy flows. The street side rooms (the only ones with windows) are also VERY noisy at night. The balcony room doors have 1/2 inch cracks between the doors so it is impossible to block out noises. And a step stool is required to step up to the level of the balcony! Some of the rooms have stairwells behind them. Others have windows facing the hallway, through which folks standing at the elevators can gaze into your room! Just weird, boxed up, cut up energy.

Additionally, the pillows here are nowhere near the quality of the Pisac property. Thick, hard pillows and also a problem in the shower! Hot water for about 3 minutes, then a rumbling noise from behind the wall, and voila -- water retreats to a trickle. We were not able to completely wash and rinse our hair well the entire trip.

So, not the Ritz despite some of the rating here.

Still, the location was very convenient to everything we wanted to do, and with the Museums, market and Inka Grill just steps away, we were pacified well enough to not change hotels. The breakfast here is superb, there is always coca tea in the lobby awaiting the short of breath, and the spa/salon off the lobby is very handy with long hours.

If you opt for this property, tell them your needs and ask to look at 3 rooms before choosing one most suitable for you. With this layout, it is hit or miss, and what distinguishes them is their service. So make your needs known.

This was our least favorite hotel in all of Peru, by far.

Room Tip: These rooms are very oddly placed. If you need outside windows or quiet, or don't want to have...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LIbbewdc
There are newer reviews for Royal Inka I

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Royal Inka is located on a charming little square right off the main square in the city. There is a lovely interior courtyard and a nice dining room. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. We were a mom and dad traveling with two teens and had a great big room with one king and two twins and TWO bathrooms--perfect! The room decor is not super fancy, but the beds are comfy and everything is very clean. The free breakfast includes fresh fruit, yogurt and made- to- order omlettes along with some local specialties (some tasty, some a little funky). Seems to be very popular with hikers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My group stayed here before and after a trip to Machu Picchu. Since we only took a small backpack for an overnight, we were able to keep our other luggage at the hotel. Most of our group even got the same room back when we returned. Several people have allergies to down and their bedding and pillows were quickly changed on arrival. All of the staff was friendly, especially the wait staff in the restaurant. Breakfast served with a smile was a good way to start the day. It was an easy walk to many sites in this quaint town.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the coca tea in the lobby. It really did seem to help with the altitude.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I came here after a terrible night at one of the hostels in town and it was a great choice. This is a perfect place to stay on the way to Machu Picchu while you're enjoying Cusco.

The facilities were beautiful. I loved the courtyards and all the colonial architecture. The set up also allows the rooms to be very quiet, even though the hotel is right in the heart of town.

The room was very comfortable, with flat screen tv, fast and reliable wifi, heating (with individual room controls as well), and piping hot water.

Breakfast is included and it was among the better hotel breakfasts I've had, with tons of variety, both Peruvian and international and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.

The best part about this hotel was the service. Everyone bent over backward to make me as comfortable as possible. When I arrived - with no reservation - they took me on a tour and let me choose my room. They also mixed me the best cup of coca tea I've ever had. They must have a secret recipe. They helped me with luggage and wake-up calls and get me taxis and made phone calls for me, all with smiles and lots of professionalism. The staff even took the time to learn my name.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It was perfect for me as a single traveller, but it would also be a great place to stay with a family. Clean, quiet, relaxing and beautiful.

Room Tip: Pick a room in one of the interior courtyards. They are beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here for a week. ALL the staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The chef,waiters ,porters ,cleaners and desk staff all couldnt do enough for us and were always smiling. The rooms had good heating,nice firm beds and breakfast was fine with freshly cooked omelettes to your own choice of ingrediants. The location is ex. Just 1 block from the bustle of the main square but on a smaller plaz on its own.Cleaning was impeccable.

Room Tip: Rooms inside facing the courtyards are quiter than those on side street
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a three star hotel and clean, quiet and in a great location. All the staff were courteous and pleasant. I stayed two nights. The bed was comfortable. The room overlooked the courtyard. There was air conditioning but I did not use it and opened the windows - enjoyed the fresh air.

The bathroom was small...interesting, it seems the area that used to be the bathroom is now the closet area...small, funny detail. Note the shampoo and soap come out of a dispenser on the wall, and no separate conditioner. The hot water takes an age to start up, and the first morning before catching the train in the wee hours of the morning I thought it was goi g to be a cold shower, but the hot water does eventually come through.

Breakfast is included in the room rate, but does not start until 6am, so the morning I was catching the train to Machu Picchu needed to buy breakfast at the train station....think the hotel should consider having coffee and rolls to go for the early train people.

Also, there were four bottles of water in the room, but no sign there was a cost. The price was reasonable, but a surprise there was a fee.

The hotel is very close to the main plaza and restaurants and shops.

My travel agency, Southern Crossings, booked the hotel in Lima, flights, trains, hotel in Cusco and guides for Cusco and Machu Picchu - all I had to do was turn up.

I did a city tour of Cusco, including the old site overlooking Cusco, the old city, the Cathedral and churches and the San Pedro markets. If you get a chance by the traditional Cusco bread at the markets. Also tried the cheese - okay, but not a huge fan.

My guide for Machu Picchu was fantastic. I am scared of heights and she helped me get to places I never thought I would do. Did both mountains - old and new mountain.

I would stay at this hotel again. It was clean, safe and a great location.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 607, which had a lovely window overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AussieNarelle
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Good location but rooms are too old, and not clean. Walls have not been painted in many years. Tv set old, bad image. I traveled alone and they gave me a 3-bed room, so beds were small and i could get a good sleep. the room i got was too dark, with very bad lighting, I know there are better rooms in this hotel, but it was dissapointing the last time. the hotel is getting worse with the time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo