“Good location. Terrific staff!”

Orquidea Real Hostal
Ranked #41 of 413 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here for the 2 days I was in Cusco. Small, narrow building, and rooms (at least mine) somewhat dingy because of limited natural lighting, but its location and the most accommodating of staff more than make up. Barely a five-minute walk to decent restaurants, even a supermarket. A mere three blocks from the Plaza de Armas. While the hostel requires a 45- or 50-step climb up a kind of side alley to reach its doors, that's actually a good thing, since its distance from the busy street below keeps the place quiet. To my amazement, the fab staff were there at steps' bottom when my taxi arrived to help me with my luggage, and accorded me the same selfless assistance upon my departure. In fact, during my entire stay all were most eager to help in any way possible. A pleasant, included breakfast is served starting at 5:00 AM in a sunny upstairs dining room with views of the surrounding city. Very enjoyable stay. I would go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a nice little hotel that is very close to the city square - maybe a 5 minute walk. The staff was incredibly helpful and attentive. They also speak a good bit of English, which is quite helpful if your Spanish isn't too strong. It is very cute & comfortable. We were really happy here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed in the Orquidea Real at the beginning and end of our 4 day Inca Trail hike. They stored our luggage over the hike and had everything ready and waiting for us in our rooms when we got back. The folks working there were more than happy to assist in whatever way possible, and despite me not speaking Spanish, everything worked out perfectly. Warm water, big beds, clean towels, and easily withing walking distance of anything in Cusco you might want to go to.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jkunk
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great little hotel. More like a small B&B then a real hotel. Very close to the city square and just down the hill from the San Blas area. We stayed in two different rooms at our stay there, once before our trip to Machu Picchu and again afterwards. The staff was very accommodating and alerted us to our scheduled activities the next day, including pickup time and wake up calls as well as what we would need. The only complaint that we had was that the pillows were a bit uncomfortable and probably need to be replaced in all the rooms

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I just love this place. I was here 12 years ago and couldn't wait to get back. Built with an original Inca wall on one side, this place and it's ancient floors is very comforting. It is not fancy, but it is very well kept and you will sleep like a baby in the wonderful comfy beds and feather comforters. The breakfast has been improved to include eggs fried or scrambled, which filled out the breakfast nicely. The staff are great; most are bi-lingual and will do anything to assist you. A special shout out to the afternoon host, Darwin, who was like a second set of eyes and ears and went beyond his duty to make sure I enjoyed my stay. Thank you, Darwin!!
I have stayed here about 12 nights over the past twelve years; you can feel comfortable leaving your luggage in storage as you explore the Sacred Valley; it'll be in your new room when you return.
You're a mere 3 blocks from all the action at the Plaza, but the hotel is isolated enough that you don't have all the night time noise. You're gonna climb 53 steps every time you come or go, but the staff is happy to help you transport your luggage at departure and arrival. Each room is equipped with a lovely fireplace that is attended to by staff when it's needed. I just got home and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in Orquidea Real. Very good hostel. Not the cheapest one but usefull and few block far from the city center. The breakfast is perfect to start the day. The staff is very friendly and they helped us to planify some activities. I will strongly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The staff were great, with a free pick-up from the bus station and then carried our heavy bags up the long steps to get to the hostel and gave us great tips of unknown places to shop, eat etc. The room was out of this world, with a heater (much needed at night) and the most humongous bed i've ever seen, and a really cute basket full of towels, soap etc. However I must say that the "American Breakfast" was a slight dissapointment, I hate it when people moan about breakfast, but at Orqedea's prices I feel they should put on a more impressive breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple