“GOOD LOCATION, GOOD SERVICE AND NICE STAFF” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Rumi Punku

Hotel Rumi Punku
Ranked #16 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Ancona
“GOOD LOCATION, GOOD SERVICE AND NICE STAFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was travelling to Cusco on December las year, it was very nice to be there an a had a great experience in the Hotel Rumi Punku.
They gaev us the free pick up from the airport, and we have a very helphul check in, where the recepcionist gave us all the in formation about the service of the Hotel and also the touris information.
This Hotel Boutique is located just tree blocks to the Plaza de Armas nezt to the San Blas neighborhood.
You can arrange everithing troght Karina who is really helphul in ordr to oirganize the tours.
The rooms are quite, very clean an d also yo can take a rest on the terraces.
They have a bussines center if you want to use the skype.
The breakfast is good too, from 05 to 10 a.m.
Me and my Wife, we had a amazin experience in this Hotel during the five we have stayed there.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room on the top floor or take a superior in new side of the Hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Veronica P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
Cartagena, Colombia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This place had a fantastic website and the reviews here made me think I couldn't go wrong, so I was really looking forward to my stay. When we arrived, it certainly ticked all the boxes, it looked great, was on a small narrow street about ten minutes walk from the main square and seemed clean. However, perhaps it's a victim of its own popularity, as I found the reception staff were indifferent, veryging on rude, and perhaps they were too used to dealing with tour groups as they pretty much left me waiting for almost an hour to check in, before finally getting someone - i think it was the gardener - to show me to a tiny, dark room.

Although the room was supposed to be heated, the radiator wasn't very warm and worse I think they turn the heating off halfway through the night as it was freezing when we got up in the morning. Cusco gets very cold at night. And then there's the noise, although there are lots of signs all over the hotel telling guests to shut it, I don't think anybody pays any attention, and because of the design and layout of this old building, noise really carries. Also so many people are getting up early to go to Machu Pichu, I was waken at about 5am, by the excited chattering of dozens of people in the communal areas.

I also don't think the place is good value. I paid $100 a night for the room and then an additional 18% because my girlfriend's Peruvian. Not only that I had to pay an additional $30 for both of us to use the gym and hot tub once for a half hour. I felt really quite ripped off and grumpy with lack of sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sergio B
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Nice place with lots of character. Great location just blocks from the Plaza De Armas in Cusco. Beautiful courtyard and charming local décor. The airport pickup was friendly and convenient. Karina, who greeted us, was very helpful, proffering advice and purchasing our Machu Picchu tickets (doing this yourself from outside Peru is a virtual impossibility).

Unfortunately, we arrived to find that our room (which I had reserved months in advance) was not available. I am meticulous about travel details, and checked in numerous times. I even confirmed just days before arriving, so it wasn't as if the staff didn't know we were coming. It was our honeymoon and my birthday, so this news absolutely deflated us when we arrived.

After an awkward conversation with Jesus, we were sent across the street to Los Apus for one night (a perfectly nice place, actually). The Rumi Punku staff, to their credit, went out of their way to cover their faux pas. They gave us free use of the hotel spa and a bottle of wine, and, upon our return the next day, upgraded us to a suite with a king-size bed. This was an enormous space, with two adjoining rooms, a series of windows overlooking the courtyard, a mini-fridge, and a balcony overlooking the streets below. Incredible – as good as any unit we stayed in during our trip to South America. A drawback to the suite: it was VERY cold. The heat only seemed to run for a few hours a day. Granted, it was winter, and I think this is par for the course in Cusco, but don’t expect to get “romantic” in these rooms if you go in August.

Bottom line: This was an attractive and pleasant hotel. We enjoyed our stay here. But believe the stories about overbooking. It can happen no matter how careful you are. When people fly halfway around the world to stay at your hotel, they need to know that their reservations aren't merely provisional.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent an excellent week in Cusco staying here. My room was large, quiet and comfortable with great views over the city. The hotel had great character and a warm atmosphere, an excellent breakfast and friendly staff, a perfect location. Strongly recommended.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is situated in the heart of the city, just three blocks away from "La Plaza de Armas". The accomodations are really confortable, where you can relax and rest after being sightseeing the city and its surroundings. The decoration of this place is beautiful with a planty of items of the Inca's culture. The hotel's administrative staff is really friendly and always ready to help you whatever you need. For instance, I just talked with Karina (the booking agent of the hotel) and inmediately I could be booked for the City Tour, Sacred Valley Tour, and Machu Picchu Tour, that was really amazing. The sercive staff are very polite too, at breakfast time they were always helpful and the hotel instalations were clean always. I recommend you to use the SPA instalations after a long day tour, in order to relax and be full of energy the next day.
I think it was the best decision I made in my awesome Inca Adventure in Peru. I definitely advise you to make your hotel reservations in this place.

Room Tip: I slept in the 3th floor and it was really quiet with a beautiful view of the mountains and surround...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Pros:
- Nice airport pickup with English speaking staff, not just a taxi driver
- Signs all over the hotel reminding guests that people are sleeping. I really appreciated this! although there is annoying car horns from the street that can be heard everywhere, this dies down around 8 or 9 p.m.
- Great front desk staff with strong English skills
- Bought a fan when I told them I needed it to help me sleep. This was a great gesture since fans are rarely utilized in Cusco
- They were helpful finding me some natural remedies for digestion issues I was having including where chicken soup is served nearby
-- Great business center where I could Skype my wife. They had headphones on the computers to make listening easier

Cons
- When I called to make the reservation, they assured me that there would be no street noise but this is only true at night so it's difficult to nap during the day
- They put me on an awful 1/2 day city tour. They need to ask guests what level of detail they want on their tours. If you just want the superficial "headline news" details then what they provided is fine but I like details and understanding far more and willing to pay more for better quality guides. My guide book had better information than the guide and today I'm returning to 2 of the sites so I can explore in more depth
- They put together a "machu picchu" package for me again without asking what level of detail or service I wanted and not informing me that it might be easier to make my own arrangements. They charged a $30 arrangement fee for buying my train tickets, the bus ticket from aguas calientes to machu picchu and the ticket to get in. This seemed high to me. I could have bought the train tickets on the internet or direct from Peru Rail and I could have bought the other tickets myself in aguas calientes. Their intentions were fine but they should have been up front about what I could have done myself. Also had to pay for all of this in soles which meant going twice to the ATM machine and paying the ATM fees to come up with 650 soles.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We flew in from NYC and arrived in Lima early in the morning - we opted to fly straight from Lima to Cusco and arrived in Cusco late in the AM. We were met at the airport and driven to the hotel by Karina - who is the booking agent for Rumi Punku. The hotel itself was very nice, clean, and homey. Room size/bathroom is good and they provide a heater for night as it gets quite cold. It is a short walk to the main square and there are plenty of restaurants/small shops within walking distance. It is slightly pricier than other options in Cusco but we felt it was worth it to have a nicer stay at the beginning to aid in the acclimation. The area feels quite safe.

There are a lot of opinions on acclimating in Cusco - so I"ll throw in my two cents. It can be difficult the first day - we are young (late 20s) and relatively fit but the first day or two brought headaches and nausea which is the norm for the altitude. Depending on how ambitious you are you can fight through it or just build in a rest day. Drink plenty of cocoa tea/water and eat light. After landing we took a brief nap, ate a light lunch, then went on the half day city tour. Booking through Karina is a great option for Cusco activities as well as for purchase Macchu Picchu entrance tickets. There is a slight premium but worth it given how difficult it is to navigate the Peruvian government website.

A quick note about our schedule as it's difficult to find examples of people's sacred valley itineraries - we arrived in Cusco Day 1 AM. Half day city tour Day 1. Day 2 was Pisac and the Planetarium. Day 3 train to Aguas Calientes. Day 3 and 4 in Macchu Picchu. Day 4 evening train to Ollantaytambo. Day 5 tour from Olla to Fortress/Maras/Moray/Chinchero back to Cusco. Day 6 fly to rain forest. Highly recommend this kind of schedule as you really get to see some great sites in Cusco in a lot of detail. All these activities will be reviewed on their respective sites.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple