1,701 results
All reviewsinca trailmachu picchugreat hoteleggsbusiness centercoca teayogurtquiet streethot waterbreadmain plazasacred valleysan blasthe hotel staffstored our luggagefew blockshotel is located
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This place had a fantastic website and the reviews here made me think I couldn't go wrong, so I was really looking forward to my stay. When we arrived, it certainly ticked all the boxes, it looked great, was on a small narrow street about ten minutes walk from the main square and seemed clean. However, perhaps it's a victim of its own popularity, as I found the reception staff were indifferent, veryging on rude, and perhaps they were too used to dealing with tour groups as they pretty much left me waiting for almost an hour to check in, before finally getting someone - i think it was the gardener - to show me to a tiny, dark room.

Although the room was supposed to be heated, the radiator wasn't very warm and worse I think they turn the heating off halfway through the night as it was freezing when we got up in the morning. Cusco gets very cold at night. And then there's the noise, although there are lots of signs all over the hotel telling guests to shut it, I don't think anybody pays any attention, and because of the design and layout of this old building, noise really carries. Also so many people are getting up early to go to Machu Pichu, I was waken at about 5am, by the excited chattering of dozens of people in the communal areas.

I also don't think the place is good value. I paid $100 a night for the room and then an additional 18% because my girlfriend's Peruvian. Not only that I had to pay an additional $30 for both of us to use the gym and hot tub once for a half hour. I felt really quite ripped off and grumpy with lack of sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sergio B
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Nice place with lots of character. Great location just blocks from the Plaza De Armas in Cusco. Beautiful courtyard and charming local décor. The airport pickup was friendly and convenient. Karina, who greeted us, was very helpful, proffering advice and purchasing our Machu Picchu tickets (doing this yourself from outside Peru is a virtual impossibility).

Unfortunately, we arrived to find that our room (which I had reserved months in advance) was not available. I am meticulous about travel details, and checked in numerous times. I even confirmed just days before arriving, so it wasn't as if the staff didn't know we were coming. It was our honeymoon and my birthday, so this news absolutely deflated us when we arrived.

After an awkward conversation with Jesus, we were sent across the street to Los Apus for one night (a perfectly nice place, actually). The Rumi Punku staff, to their credit, went out of their way to cover their faux pas. They gave us free use of the hotel spa and a bottle of wine, and, upon our return the next day, upgraded us to a suite with a king-size bed. This was an enormous space, with two adjoining rooms, a series of windows overlooking the courtyard, a mini-fridge, and a balcony overlooking the streets below. Incredible – as good as any unit we stayed in during our trip to South America. A drawback to the suite: it was VERY cold. The heat only seemed to run for a few hours a day. Granted, it was winter, and I think this is par for the course in Cusco, but don’t expect to get “romantic” in these rooms if you go in August.

Bottom line: This was an attractive and pleasant hotel. We enjoyed our stay here. But believe the stories about overbooking. It can happen no matter how careful you are. When people fly halfway around the world to stay at your hotel, they need to know that their reservations aren't merely provisional.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent an excellent week in Cusco staying here. My room was large, quiet and comfortable with great views over the city. The hotel had great character and a warm atmosphere, an excellent breakfast and friendly staff, a perfect location. Strongly recommended.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is situated in the heart of the city, just three blocks away from "La Plaza de Armas". The accomodations are really confortable, where you can relax and rest after being sightseeing the city and its surroundings. The decoration of this place is beautiful with a planty of items of the Inca's culture. The hotel's administrative staff is really friendly and always ready to help you whatever you need. For instance, I just talked with Karina (the booking agent of the hotel) and inmediately I could be booked for the City Tour, Sacred Valley Tour, and Machu Picchu Tour, that was really amazing. The sercive staff are very polite too, at breakfast time they were always helpful and the hotel instalations were clean always. I recommend you to use the SPA instalations after a long day tour, in order to relax and be full of energy the next day.
I think it was the best decision I made in my awesome Inca Adventure in Peru. I definitely advise you to make your hotel reservations in this place.

Room Tip: I slept in the 3th floor and it was really quiet with a beautiful view of the mountains and surroundings of the city.. besides the hotel is situated in a quiet street. So, I could enjoy my sleeping moments.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Pros:
- Nice airport pickup with English speaking staff, not just a taxi driver
- Signs all over the hotel reminding guests that people are sleeping. I really appreciated this! although there is annoying car horns from the street that can be heard everywhere, this dies down around 8 or 9 p.m.
- Great front desk staff with strong English skills
- Bought a fan when I told them I needed it to help me sleep. This was a great gesture since fans are rarely utilized in Cusco
- They were helpful finding me some natural remedies for digestion issues I was having including where chicken soup is served nearby
-- Great business center where I could Skype my wife. They had headphones on the computers to make listening easier

Cons
- When I called to make the reservation, they assured me that there would be no street noise but this is only true at night so it's difficult to nap during the day
- They put me on an awful 1/2 day city tour. They need to ask guests what level of detail they want on their tours. If you just want the superficial "headline news" details then what they provided is fine but I like details and understanding far more and willing to pay more for better quality guides. My guide book had better information than the guide and today I'm returning to 2 of the sites so I can explore in more depth
- They put together a "machu picchu" package for me again without asking what level of detail or service I wanted and not informing me that it might be easier to make my own arrangements. They charged a $30 arrangement fee for buying my train tickets, the bus ticket from aguas calientes to machu picchu and the ticket to get in. This seemed high to me. I could have bought the train tickets on the internet or direct from Peru Rail and I could have bought the other tickets myself in aguas calientes. Their intentions were fine but they should have been up front about what I could have done myself. Also had to pay for all of this in soles which meant going twice to the ATM machine and paying the ATM fees to come up with 650 soles.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo