“Beautiful place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

A very authentic small hotel with great amenities. The rooms were spacious and clean. We upgraded to the suite but it was still just a regular room only a bigger bed. Free water bottles in the room and breakfast. They made eggs to order everyday along with having a buffet with food. Coca leaf tea available 24 hours day. The staff was very friendly. They picked us up at the airport for free and arranged for a cab to take us back for 10 soles. It's close to the main square and many restaurants. Kept our bags for free when we were on the inca trail and placed them in our room when we returned. We also got couple massages at their spa. The spa was great and very in expensive. Only $70 for an hour for both of us. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a few nights before doing the Inca Trail in Sep 2011 and for one night afterwards. They picked us up on time from the airport and our room was ready when we arrived. We felt really comfortable leaving the rest of our luggage with them when we did the Inca Trail and it was in our room waiting for us the night we returned.
The hotel is set around a really pretty internal courtyard and the rooms we stayed in, (and the hotel in general), were really clean. The location is really good, just a short walk down to the plaza de armas, but there are plenty of restaurants on the same street if you want to eat close by. We're always on our guard when we travel but this felt like a safe location and we were comfortable walking around as a couple or on our own.
The breakfast was by far the best we had in Peru - a really good selection of fruit, juices, cereals and bread with either sausages or bacon. Eggs could also be made to order. It was delicious!
We always had hot showers and the heater kept the room warm in the
evenings. The internet was down one evening but we only used it to occasionally check our emails so it wasn't a big problem for us. There was usually always a computer available as well which was handy.
In short, this is a really charming hotel and we had a wonderful stay here. The only reason I haven't given it full marks is because on a later stay in Cusco we stayed at Los Niños for one night which was equally as charming and clean but a fair bit cheaper. That said, the location didn't seem quite as nice as Rumi Punku's and if I remember correctly Los Niños would have charged us extra for airport pick up if we'd needed it. (We left before breakfast so I can't make a comparison there). The Rumi Punku is very good value for money and if your budget allows I'd definitely stay here...however, having experienced both hotels, if we were to do the trip again we would probably try to stay at Los Niños for the full trip and just have one night at Rumi Punku, just to have saved ourselves a bit more money for the rest of our time in Peru.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Aims2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

I booKed this hotel based on the reviews I had read, and i was not let down. From the moment of arrival the staff were there to help me with whatever I needed. I was travelling on to Machu Picchu for a few days and i was able to securely store my bags at the hotel. The front desk staff were extremely welcoming, courteous, professional, and most helpful. I am truly grateful for their kindness. The hotel itself is very charming, with little outdoor courtyards scattered throughout. The bedding was warm and cozy and bathroom modern. If I ever return to Cusco I will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rick F
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed in a family room in this charming hotel close to the Plaza de Armas and good restaurants in Cuzco. Like many buildings in Cuzco, it is built around an internal courtyard - this means that windows open into the middle of the hotel, and our room was quite close to the entrance so we generally kept the curtains closed which made the room a bit dark. I would seek a room a bit further up our back from the bustle of the front entrance. But the beds were comfortable (very important given how challenging it can be to sleep at altitude), the bathroom was spacious and clean, and there was a helpful minifridge and a tv which we appreciated when we had had enough of walking around gasping for air. The breakfast was the best we had in Peru, with a nice selection of fruit, juices etc. The staff was very helpful with all of our requests and in making reservations at restaurants. One suggestion would be that they could be a bit friendlier, but their effectiveness was greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for something a bit away from the entrance.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed 3 times in April 2012, leaving our luggage while we toured the Sacred Valley and a trip to the Manu jungle.The staff were very helpful and courteous, breakfast excellent, eggs cooked to your choice. Location quiet and very close to the Plaza. We had a superior room near the garden and fountain at the rear of the property, great views up the hills of Cusco at night. Good security, nice seating areas on verandahs and great meeting room area with local artifacts. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor overlooking the garden/fountain area with beautiful views of Cusco at night.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Rumi Punku was a great choice while traveling solo in Cusco - there are a lot of cheaper options around, but it was really nice to have a centrally located 3 star hotel available right p the street from the plaza.

Pros:
Location - could not have asked for a better location, about half a mile from the plaza de armas and on a street with lots of shops and restaurants - always felt safe walking back from being out and about

Staff - very accommodating, helped me plan out the sights of Cusco, get my bus ticket and generally made me feel welcome at all times, from the pick-up at the airport to the last minute taxi hail or the station - they stored my bags for me while I did the inca trail with no hassles, Evan found my bag waiting for me in my room when I came back

Rooms- I stayed in room 309 or three non consecutive nights and always had hot water and fresh towels - also a great view of the hills of cusco

Cons:

Price: a little steep for a mid range in Cusco - everything Is extra and it seemed like their rates were higher than most comparable places located the same distance away from the plaza - also they charge for a sub par jacuzzi and steam room that was definitely not worth s15

Noise: Even being in the upstairs back of t he building, it was pretty noisy from 11pm on, with street and guest noise coming up through the windows -

I would recommend staying here if budget allows - location and staff trump cons

Stayed April 2012
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Nice rooms, beautiful public spaces, convenient location, good breakfast with very generous hours (5am-10am.) We were picked up at the airport by a friendly tour guide who made the ride from the airport into a mini tour. Scheduled a massage for me and my wife, which was a great treat and well worth what we paid. We just loved this place. Very romantic, pretty. One drawback is that the beautiful courtyards (there are 2) and tiled hallways tend to concentrate sound from other guests, so it's not the quietest hotel. But when we go back to Cusco (and we cannot wait to go back) I think we will stay at Rumi Punku again. Romantic, charming, affordable. Loved it. Internet in the room was spotty at best, but the office center was convenient and almost always had a computer free. Shower was hot and refreshing.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple