Hostal Resbalosa
  • Pool
$299
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsworked perfectlywarm blanketsplace to staythe main squarehostelluggagemidnightdormaltituderuins
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My family and I (6 adults) stayed in the 6-bed dorm room for $8 each/night. We stayed here 3 times for a total of 7 nights.

The rooms and bathrooms are clean, the owners are friendly, the location is great and the view from the terrace is incredible. The stairs to the hostal are tough, but great practice for the Inka Trail. The owners provided early-morning laundry service when we returned at midnight from the Inka Trail and had a 9am departure for the Amazon. When we returned for our final night they allowed us to store our bags after checkout and hang out on the terrace until our 5pm flight.

This hostal is great if you want a clean, comfortable, budget-friendly place to stay in close proximity to the Plaza de Armas.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Laurie Q
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hosts are very nice and helpfull, if you want they give you all sorts of travel and trekking advice. The hostal has a terrace from very you have a amazing view over the city and the mountains around it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

What a great place to stay! Definitely nothing fancy, but the staff is incredibly kind, and the owners go out of their way to accomodate your needs and help out in any way they can. Even before and after checkout, they allowed us to store our bags with them so that we could walk around Cusco without being weighed down by our luggage. Definitely simple rooms -- don't expect anything fancy -- but everything is clean and well-kept. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jemasur
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was led to this place by a local while aimlessly wandering the streets of Cusco.
I was pleased to make this my home for a couple of days.
I don’t use the word home lightly. The hostel is family ran. I was warmly greeted by la senora when I entered, before even deciding to stay she invited me in and we sat down for a nice long chat. She told me that she didn’t understand these big party hostels. She told me that there was enough to see outside of the hostel and that it made more sense to her to save money by staying with her so that I could spend my money on eating rich food and partying in the center.
I read some of the other reviews and I am a bit confused about what people are saying about there being no hot water. I had no problem getting plenty of hot water, and with great water pressure! Also, as far as the rooms being cold, Cusco rests at 3400 meters above sea level-it gets cold at night! My room was no colder than anywhere else that I've stayed in Cusco. I always bring alpaca socks when I go higher into the Andes.
The hostel was a bit of a trek up from the Plaza de Armas, but it was actually closer to the Plaza de Armas than any of the other hostels at I stayed in, and cheaper!
The last day I had to check out at 10 am, but the problem was that I didn’t have a bus to catch until 7 pm! They let me store my luggage for free and they even let me hang out there for FIVE HOURS and use their internet (which was super fast everywhere that I tried it in the hostel). La senora even checked in to make sure that I had eaten something my long journey back to Arequipa.
In short, if you are looking for a quiet, economical, family feel, right up from the Plaza de Armas, I strongly recommend giving them a gander.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kristina S
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at Resbalosa during New Years last year with a group of friends, and aside from the slightly money-hungry owner it was a decent place. The room was clean, mattresses comfortable and flat (a nice change from the many deeply indented ones my back endured), and the place was relatively close to the center.
The only complaints I have were the aforementioned owner and the lack of hot water. We were a five person group and there was only a four person room left, so we said we had a sleeping bag and one would sleep on the floor, which she agreed to but still wanted to charge the floor-sleeping person 25 soles the same as the rest. It took a lot of effort but we eventually talked her down.
The shower was not hot, it was the kind of electric heater that only works if you turn the water down to a trickle. But hey, it was cheap and I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: The rooms adjacent to the balcony are nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends