“Great side-street historical hideout in Cuzco”

Hotel Arqueologo Exclusive Selection
Ranked #43 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were liked this hotel--from check-in onward. The staff seats you comfortably then brings you coca tea (to help with the altitude @ 11,000 feet). After we relaxed we were shown to our very clean rooms. The beds were comfortable with good sheets and comforters. The hotel is historical but very well maintained (although the floors creaked from the age it wasn't distracting). My adult son liked "the vibe" here. If you are inclined to walk (steep uphill) the Cuzco ruins are directly up the street that this hotel is on. It is also very close to the main square and we walked everywhere we went in town. Breakfast was in a room with three windowed sides and included fresh fruit, fresh local bread, cereals, yogurt, beverages, and eggs cooked to order. The bar was fun to hang out in pre-dinner. A great location, great value for the price.

Room Tip: Some rooms have stairs to if you don't want them be sure to ask!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Arqueologo, Gerente at Hotel Arqueologo Exclusive Selection, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments.
We know that our guests appreciate the small touches such as coca tea, a welcome pisco sour, chocolates in the room and the friendliness and warmth of our staff.
Our hotel is located in a colonial building and we have kept the original nuances throughout.
We are located in the heart of the historic center where you can enjoy an excellent view from the breakfast area.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stay here in march for the holy week and it was a good experience, the breakfast was ok, good walking distance from the main square and super close to the beet restaurants in Cusco, the bar/restaurant in the hotel "la Divina Comedia" its amazing delicious food and good drinks!!
The only thing that i didnt like is that you have to ask a million times for something like extra pillows or whatever!
But overall i really like and enjoy our stay here, i recommend thus hotel very much

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Niabet

We are very pleased that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and that you enjoyed a good breakfast with the excellent view of the city that we have. Our location is in the historic center nearby the Inca and colonial archaeological sites.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review about a hotel but I just have to do you (who ever is reading this) the favor of warning you to "STAY AWAY" from this property.
The property itself is ok for what you pay for. the rooms are very dated but if you only need a place to lay your head down its fine.

Where the scary part came in was that my mother, her best friend and I were unknowingly kicked out of our room bc of an error that was made by their reservation department. After we all returned from an entire day of sightseeing in Cusco my mom and friend went to the bar to grab a drink to relax while I went to put our bags in the room. I still had the key to this room and when I entered boy was I surprised.

The room had been completely emptied, meaning all of our bags, clothes, toiletries, everything had been taken out of the room stuff in plastic bags or in the open suitcases we had left in the room. When I went down to the front desk the calmly told me that they had to get us out of the room because they had another reservation checking in! The craziest part was is that all of our passports, money and jewelry were in the safety deposit box in the room which they were going to give to another guest!!!! I had to ask the front desk manager to let me in the room again to get into the safety deposit box to grab our passports!!! We had one more night in this hotel and apparently the phone reservation I made was never updated. Regardless of being kicked out the front desk manager was not helpful at all they were not proactive in helping us find a place to stay the night... it just wasn't their problem since the reservation update was not in their system.

Needless to say I would stay far away from this hotel. They are only concerned about the bottom line, they could careless about your security in another country (ie. giving our room away with our passports inside).

We had to call a friend/chef/owner of Cuzco Dining to help get us out and find us somewhere to stay. He made Cusco memorable because without him and his cooking class experience I could easily say the hospitality in Cusco was atrocious.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Patty D
Hotel_Arqueologo, Gerente at Hotel Arqueologo Exclusive Selection, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Greetings estimated client first I wanted to offer my apologies for the inconvenience and bad moment you step into our hotel.
It is important to clarify certain things for better understanding of the facts, the truth was that you only had a confirmed reservation for one night since we did not have availability for two nights.
He was informed by phone call you made our reservation area.
On Thursday August 23, 2012 you were in our hotel with no problems.
For the next day we had no availability.
Normally I inform the reception.
We draw their membership from his room in a safe place
We helped her get another hotel in our city in this case and also paid the taxi transport to this hotel.
We advise our clients to book writing. We trace of what the customer wants.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights while in Cusco. The courtyard is gorgeous and lit-up beautifully at night. Never had the chance to try the restaurant but the bar and resto looked nice too. The rooms were very clean, loft style with small living quarters on the main floor and bedroom upstairs. The breakfast was nice including eggs, pastries, fruits and cereal but the coffee was outstanding. Great location just a few blocks from the main square and a nice (oxygen starved) stroll to the hill-tops.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We found this hotel after our flight home was cancelled by LAN; which we learned happens frequently, so make sure you can stay an extra day or two in Cusco if the wind kicks up over the Andes..best to book an early flight out to avoid wind problems!

We stayed her one night, in a two level room, which was very spacious! The sleeping area was upstairs, clean, quiet. The down stairs offers plenty of sitting area, full bathroom. There is no TV or phone. Free Wifi worked great! Staff was friendly, easy to communicate with...please don't expect everyone to speak perfect english...this is NOT THEIR primary language!

The hotel has lots of charm! Free breakfast in a lovely eating area on the 2nd floor with lots of windows and great views. The pisco sour "welcome drink x3" was much needed after our flight was cancelled! The location is perfect, just steps away from the main square and in the heart of many local shops. We felt very safe! I would surely stay here again!

Room Tip: Each room offers a balcony, which offers a nice connection to the outside world! We stayed in room 2...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My friends and i stayed at Arqueologo hotel for a total of 4 nights in November 2012. We stayed in Cusco, before going to Machu Picchu. We only reserved for the first night in Cusco here, but we ended up spending our entire nights in Cusco here. I just fell in love with this hotel. I have no problem with the facilities, rooms, and services, but I have a BIG complaint about the exchange rate when I paid with my credit card. The Soles/$ exchange rate was about 2.5 when I visited Peru, but when I paid my bill with my credit card (Master card), they used the exchange rate of 2.7!!! It's almost 10% tax on credit card transaction. I could ran to an exchange bureau but did not have time because we had to catch a cab to the airport. I hate this!!! But other than this cheating, I love the hotel. Below are the pros and the cons, and some pictures.

Pros:
(1) Not super-new but the decoration of the room is lovely (see my pics). The hotel has a colonial style, a cute garden in the middle of rooms. We enjoyed relaxing in chairs in the garden in our first day in Cusco, adjusting to 3400m.
(2) Easy walk (a bit upward but...) to the central square. Less than 10 minutes. Never felt dangerous even at night.
(3) Shower in my room (Rm 302, next to the reception) worked very well. Water was hot, and the water flow was strong. But my friends (in Room 102) complained that their shower was not as good as mine. So check shower before deciding your room.
(4) They offered a welcome pisco sour, which was very good.
(5) The heating in the room was no problem.
(6) Breakfast was very nice. The breakfast room was decorated in a lovely manner.
(7) The staff (especially the ones working at the bar and the restaurant) are very friendly and nice!
(8) The restaurant attached to the hotel was one of the best in Cusco we thought. It's a bit far from the center of tourism, so it's less pricy, but the quality of the meat and the chef were superb. We liked the restaurant so much we decided to come back for our last supper in Cusco. They also have almost-daily jazz or singing performances at the restaurant.
(9) For the quality of the rooms and services, I think the hotel is very reasonably priced.
(10) They have free wifi, but it seems that they turn off the wifi at night. I did not get signals in my room (at night).
(11) They kept out bags when we visited Machu Picchu and stayed in Aguas Calientes for one night.

Cons:
(a) In the first night, although I made a reservation through hotel.com the day before, we were told that they do not have our reservation in their system. According to them, their system is not connected to hotel.com server on Sunday (the first night of our stay was Sunday). At the end they had some vacancies so there was no problem, but they gave us standard rooms although I reserved superior rooms. So be careful.
(b) The Soles/$ exchange rate was about 2.5 when I visited Peru, but when I paid my bill with my credit card (Master card), they used the exchange rate of 2.7!!! It's almost 10% tax on credit card transaction. I could ran to an exchange bureau but did not have time because we had to catch a cab to the airport. I hate this!!!

At the end, I love my stay. If they did not charge 2.7 soles/$ for my bill, I gave five stars. Now I learned the way they tricked their customers, I think I come back to this hotel when I come back to Cusco.

Room Tip: Check shower. Make sure you get very hot water with a strong water flow!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel could have been a perfect experience, but it wasn't quite. For Cusco it does seem very reasonably priced and there is no question that I would stay again. I loved the "loft" room ... with a small living room and beautiful bathroom downstairs and a huge bed and airy, open feel in the upstairs loft. Caution, if you have trouble with narrow curving stairs, you don't want this loft room. I didn't care that there was no TV ... I wasn't in Peru to watch TV. OK ... so my little travel problems ... it started before I got to Peru and was trying to get an entrance ticket to Machu Pichhu. The travel agent associated with the hotel said they could get me one. When I arrived they didn't have one. They were able to get one the day before my travel to MP ... however it was really dicey and close and they had to get a Montana ticket rather than the regular ticket. It was both bad and good service. Second ... the hotel advertises that they pick you up at the airport. But the front desk person said they wouldn't. But the reservations person said they would. And when I arrived at the airport, there was no one to meet me. A phone call by a local person to the hotel ... and they did send someone. But it was a waste of time.

Although there were problems ... overall it was a great place and I'd do it again, but perhaps be a little smarter next time ... maybe something you can learn from my experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a loft room! (unless you can't do narrow winding stairs)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Hotel_Arqueologo, Director General at Hotel Arqueologo Exclusive Selection, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your comment Mr. Steve
First of all I wanted to apologize for the inconvenience you had at our hotel, we we care every day to improve our service and eliminate the faults we have and your comments help us to identify them, Our travel agency is to solve different problems that our customers may have in the realization of their excursions and so meet the different needs of our guests.
Our standard and superior rooms have no tv but given our guests if requested. We also have suites with TV according to the needs of our customers, again thanking your comment. the hope back with open arms.