“Good for the price”

Ranked #28 of 365 Cusco B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Good for the price”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

This was my first hotel experience in Peru, and I was unsure as to what to expect for $30 for a double. I was very happy with our choice; for the money it is great. The hotel is in the San Blas neighborhood, but very close to the main square. It is up a small hill (I live in San Francisco, so hills don't bother me). Walk slowly as the altitiude might make you out of breath. But it really isn't bad. The street seems to be the main drag for San Blas, and is very, very busy. On one hand, this can be annoying when you are constantly hassled to buy things, but is also keeps you feeling safe when it's dark since you don't feel that you are the only person on the street. I preferred being in this neighborhood to the area around the Plaza.
The hotel's common areas are really quaint and nice, there's internet downstairs and a roof deck upstairs where you sit and view Cusco from above. The rooms are not huge, but are big enough, and have armoires to store your clothes. There's a tv, if that matters to you. Cusco gets chilly at night and each room has a space heater, which is remarkably effective. Turn it on and you won't be cold at all. The bathroom has shower only. Breakfast is not so great, but there are cafes nearby if you need more. The staff is very friendly and helpful, but a small amount of Spanish definitely helps with communication. One thing: We were quoted in dollars, but when it was time to pay they definitely preferred soles, although accepted the dollars. We stayed for three nights, stored our luggage in their storage room while we went on the Inca Trek and then returned. No problems at all.
If you are looking for a clean and safe place to stay with a homey atmosephere and don't require luxury, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank susykat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
USA
Reviewed May 15, 2009

This was a safe, secure, clean hostel with 24-hr hot water just a few blocks up from the Plaza de Armas, but yet in a relatively quiet location with great views from the shared upstairs balconies. One little downside is that Cuesta San Blas takes a sharp upturn and getting yourself up there time and again with altitude factoring in starts becoming an issue! But all in all it was a great stay, and they even picked us up from the airport for free (albeit the person who did works with a tour company and so was hard-selling us tours when all we wanted to do was relax in our room). They even let us pay by credit card, which was a great surprise since so many places in Peru have Visa/Mastercard signs but claim that their machine is broken when it comes time to pay!

Rooms also have a heater included, which was awesome! Also free internet, but only one computer that's usually occupied, especially in the morning when everyone's trying to figure out their plans for the day. However, there's a really cheap internet and phone place right across the street (FYI, phone calls to the US are only 50 centimos a minute from there!!)

My only complaints about the hostel about service--we booked a room for our return trip from Machu Picchu, and when we got back, the room we had specifically picked (it does make a difference--the upper rooms are much more cozy and the natural light in the bottom rooms is almost non-existent) they decided not to give to us. When we tried to ask why, they just shrugged. Also, the morning that we left for Machu Picchu, we tried to get the guy behind the counter to wake up so we could store our luggage, but he didn't seem to want to wake up--after a while, it definitely seemed like he was doing it on purpose.

Lastly, the place is just a stone's throw from Jack's--the Aussie-owned restaurant that ended up being a delicious life-saver for all of us after our trek and when we desperately wanted a "taste of home" (something we were initially scoffing at!)
Overall, great place, would def recommend, especially if you stay in the 5 person room--it's a steal for 150 Soles. For the other rooms (like the double), at a 100 Soles, you can find other comprable places in the area if you really wanted.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Brasilia
Reviewed May 15, 2009

They have rooms without carpets - good for alergic people like me. Hostal is very simple, but it has the basic: hot water, heating, cable TV, pick up in the airport, free storage, computer with free internet access, common area with sofas, good location (between the main plaza and the artistic San Blas, near the famous Jack's). They picked us up in the airport with a tour guy called Cesar. He arrenged our tickets to Machu Picchu, tours, etc. Breakfast could be better - only bread, butter, jam, juice and coca tea. They charge the eggs.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I stayed at this hostel for most of the month of January and part of Feb. The hostel is excellent and I would have no hesitation in returning here. The staff are friendly and helpful- I was ill for 3 days and the lovely lady on reception went out to get meals for me at a local restaurant and brought me hot drinks on a regular basis.
I had a double room with a private bathroom and balcony facing out onto the main street between Plaza Armas and Plaza San Blas.
Great location, helpful staff- there is nothing to complain about at this hostel and I am sure if you did complain they would rectify any problem immediately.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank traveladviser100
Eindhoven
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Nice and helpful staff, excellent breakfast, convenient location close the the Plaza de Armas. Nice central patio with a fire in the morning. Free internet. It is an interesting collection of buildings. The central space between the building has been roofed abd is the lobby area now. Comfortable rooms with nice views.

• Liked — breakfast, public areas, location, views
  • Stayed August 2008
sydney
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Have to agree with the previous traveller...Hostal San Blas is a good bet. Very conveniently located on a street that leads directly to the Plaza De Armas in about 3 minutes. My husband and I stayed for about 10 days and paid 90 soles a night...we had private bathroom and TV with 100 channels. The first room we stayed in was up the top, down the end so minimal noise and a huge bed (could fit 4 people in it!). Everything was clean as well. We went to Ollantaytambo for a few days and the hostal stored our luggage no problem. Our room on return was not so good so we requested another one and it was much better. Don't be afraid to ask for better if available. Convenient also is the ATM machine in the front of the hostal. The internet in the hostal I couldn't get to work (the @ button didn't work!!!) but directly across the narrow street is another internet place so this is not a problem. Jack's Cafe on the corner is awesome as said previously...run by Australians I might add and the best food we had in Cusco (although a lot of the Peruvian stuff was good too)! Recommend San Blas Hostal to all...and you can pay by credit card, which we found was a bit hard in some other places, so this is a bonus too.

• Liked — Good location, good value for money, quiet, own telephone too!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I just returned from a trip to Cusco and stayed at the Hostal San Blas. I stayed there two separate nights as I hiked the Salkantay trek for five days and Machu Picchu in the middle. I was able to safely store my luggage for free at this hostal with no problems.

The first night I stayed there, I had a room with a private, clean bathroom (60 soles/nght). It was very nice and very clean and included a television, towel, and toilet paper. The water was hot! The street noise was very quiet also.

The second night I stayed there, I had a private room with a shared bathroom (30 soles/nght). Although it was cheaper and the room was still just as nice as the first night, the shared bathroom was a little gross. If you aren't on a budget, I would recommend requesting a private bathroom.

Breakfast is included in the stay and was very good (bread, butter, jam, juices, one cereal choice, and tea/coffee).

The hostal is located conveniently close to the Plaza del Armas, and is a beautiful, straight walk to there through the Cuesta San Blas art district. On the walk, there are original Inca walls on one side of the street. There is also a delicious cafe (Jack's Cafe) located on the corner at the end of the block where the hostal is. As a single, young, female traveler, I felt very safe in this area and had no problems. Most of Cusco is safe though.

Overall, I would stay at this place again and recommend it to others.

• Liked — Location - Quiet, Safe, Close to Plaza, and Attractive
  • Disliked — The Shared Bathroom - get a private bathroom!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo