“Great location, good value”
Review of Hostal Suecia II

Hostal Suecia II
Ranked #229 of 445 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
“Great location, good value”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Great location, helpful staff, clean and secure storage. Quite basic, you need your own towels, soap and loo paper but good vaule for money in busy Cusco. Both nights we stayed were Fridays and we had rooms next to the street that was very noisy all night.

• Stayed May 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

The room looked good, bed was nice and the hostel looks lovely. But when staying here you soon miss something.. no internet, no tv room or whatsoever, pretty unreliable showers (i got a shock from electrical heating) and there hardly was anybody when we were there. Bit boring so we moved to another hostel..

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Great hostel, great location. My Only complaint is that they don't have wifi, towels or toilet paper. It is very basic but clean and perfectly located.

It's perfect for backpackers however there aren't any common areas to meet the other travelers.

• Stayed October 2012
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed August 2, 2012

stayed here for 3 nights (60 soles for a private double room). The place was very quiet even though it was a short walk to the main plaza. There was a nice central courtyard but no real, central area for people to hang out so it didn't feel like a hostel but a hotel. No kitchen either. So if you're looking for a traditional hostel this isn't it. If you're looking for a budget option but a private room this was a great deal. There were also rooms with shared bathrooms for less (40 soles for a double). There are no dorms here.

Now the main reason why I really liked this place. I brought laundry to a place across the street. I thought I had checked all my pockets but about 10 minutes after I realized that I forgot to check my shorts and was certain that I had a large chunk of $ in there. So I hurried back to the laundry (not self serve) and asked to see my clothes. They were in a basket but not yet in the wash. I checked the pocket and realized that it was unzipped and empty. I asked the girl working about it and she said she hadn't gone through my clothes yet (this was a big fat lie, as I checked all my clothes and my jacket was neatly zipped up which I know I didn't do). I went back to my room and triple checked and I knew for certain that I had $ left in my shorts and that the girl checked my clothes and took it. I told the old lady at the hotel about it and she said that there was really nothing I could do but perhaps I could ask to talk to the owner of the laundry service (who wasn't there). Thinking that it was $ lost, I ate breakfast at the restaurant right next to the laundry service pondering if I should just take my clothes back and take my business elsewhere.

After breakfast, I was leaving when the girl (laundry) saw me passing by and beckoned me to come in. She told me she found the $ in the washer (it was wet yet the rest of my clothes were in the basket next to the washer) and gave it back to me. I happily took my $ back, walked across the street back to the hotel to tell the old lady, who told me she went over there and talked to the girl (and probably threatened to talk to her boss). I am convinced that the old lady got me my $ back!

The only downside of this place is no wi-fi. I never heard loud neighbors coming in late at night.

Room Tip: If you choose one of the upper rooms, they have little chairs and tables right outside of them you c...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Upon arrival, I was greeted by Yolanda. She was friendly and qucik to assist me with my registration. However, the other two staff members were cold, uncaring, thoughtless, and rude overall. The man was particularily useless, as he refused to ask the late comers (1 AM) to be quiet, as others are trying to sleep. He pretty much yelled at me when I suggested he ask them to remember it was very late and others were deserving of respect! The common area was nicely decorated, albeit, dusty all over. The rooms were not the cleanest. I do not believe that the bathrooms were cleaned with proper prodeucts suited to sterilize. So, I had to wash all down with my sanitizer to kill germs and was away visible dirt before I could use the facilities. The carpets looked like they had never seen a vaccum. Rather, the front desk one was lightly washed with a mop and a bit of water here and there! I would not let my bare feet touch the floor. The curtains on the windows were somewhat see-through. This was unfortunate, as I like privacy and as all of the lights were left on pretty much all night, it was more diff. to fall and stay asleep. The shower water was never hot, just lukewarm, at best. Also, the pressure was that of one suitable for a baby or small child! There were no shower curtains, and the water was free to splash across the whole bathroom floor!! As it is basically a hotel without a restaurant, a hair dryer and iron to use would not have nbeen out of order. Also, during the day, it was a bit like a morgue there. It would have been much more pleasant with a small tv or radio playing for background noise..if nothing else. The best thing about this hostal is its location. It is close to restaurants, shops, a market, a farma, and about 2 1/2 blks. from the Plaza d Armas.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank scotscharles

Travelers are raving about these Cusco hotels

california
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Hostal Suecia II is quaint with a reliable reception desk. But the showers can be good or bad depending on the room. The private showers (in several rooms) are only hot when set on dribble. The shared showers were hot with a normal flow of water. I liked the rooms on the 3rd floor- quieter, view of Cusco, cheaper, and better showers.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Bad showers in private rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank tw0
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Sealing in the courtyard reduced outside noise, but the rooms became stuffy and inside noises predominate - day and night. Clean, very secure, and great value at S/.30 double (off-season) with bathroom.

• Liked — Value.
  • Disliked — Stuffy and noisy.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple