“BEAUTIFUL!!!”

and up
3-Day Cusco and Machu Picchu Tour
Ranked #11 of 126 things to do in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Dominating the northeast side of the Plaza de Armas, this magnificent renaissance-style, 16th-century building is in the shape of a Latin cross and contains nearly 400 colonial paintings including the Last Supper by Marcos Zapata.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The cathedral in Cusco was AMAZING!!! It was completely covered in gold, with a giant Lord Jesus Christ on the cross in the front. (It was hilarious, a cooked guinea pig was on the painting of the last supper!!!)

Write a ReviewReviews (6,502)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"paintings"
in 353 reviews

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This cathedral will remind you of the Cathedral in Toledo, it is so beautifully maintained. All the niches are perfect, the choir stall is one of the most intricately carved I have seen outside of Rome. A true masterpiece!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Tour was with our private guide, so I cannot rate any tours done by the cathedral. The altars were amazing, along with the artwork!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I visited this cathedral after having seen the one in Arequipa - I liked the Arequipa cathedral better, but that said, this was still well worth the entrance fee. I really liked being able to use the headphone guide, as that way I could take my time where I wanted to and hurry thru if I wanted. The security is very high here as there are many valuable and beautiful artifacts. I especially enjoyed finally seeing the Last Supper painting with the Cuy (guinea pig) as the main course.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This cathedral was amazing. The history, the art, and the "feel" are truly amazing. Here's the warning. So first off you can't take photos!?!?! I understand the need for security but it was ridiculous. I spent thousands of dollars to come on a trip of a lifetime to not even have a picture to show people. Second off pray you get a good guide. Our guide was very friendly but he was under a timeline and we had to skip certain parts cause he was in a rush. Thirdly don't expect any of them to have any real knowledge of the artwork. At one point he said a painting was of water paint when it was obviously a oil painting. I would recommend bringing you own tour book in with you and taking your time. I will be going back an doing just that.