All reviewsgreat locationmachu picchuthe main squarehotel is locatedcoca teabreakfast buffetroom was clean and comfortableexcellent hotelstored our luggagehot waternice breakfastthree nightsmin walkbreadtouratriumelevator
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My wife and I spent 5 nights in this hotel before and after our trip to Machu Picchu. Here are the good things - the rooms are clean, the breakfast is very good, the coca tea flows like water, most of the staff is very helpful, and the lobby and adjoining areas are very cool. Most of the TV is in english - and there are a lot of channels. The water pressure in the shower was a nice suprise - very strong. You can walk to anything you want in Cuzco from here - it is about 1.5 blocks to the main square (Plaza de Armas). This isn't a Holiday Inn - so you have to be prepared for a much different hotel experience than you may be used to.

There are two things that I'll warn travelers about; noise and the beds. The beds are really hard... but not hard enough to keep you from sleeping. Previous reviewers have nailed the noise issue - starting at about 4:45 it gets wild. The floors are all hard surfaces so noise travels very well no matter what room you have. They were doing some sort of renovation while I was there that created loud booms and thuds non-stop from 7 AM to 6 PM. BRING EAR PLUGS - and hang the "do not disturb" sign on the door. Housekeeping tries to clean the rooms very early - as check out is 8:00 AM! Once we used the ear plugs and the sign things got easy.

Overall, we weren't in the room that much because there is so much to see in Cuzco... so it was easy to overlook the noise and hard beds. After all, you'll be so tired you won't notice either after a while - especially when you have a couple Pisco Sours.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs - and check out is 8 AM!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My wife and I spent a week at this hotel recently. Although it's comfortable and has a nice breakfast buffet, if you get a room facing the interior atrium area, be prepared for LOTS of noise beginning about 5:00 AM everday. EVERY sound made in the atrium gets echoed right up to the inner rooms. Another thing I didn't like at all was the completely inflexible policy on giving receipts. I booked the room online with Expedia using my personal credit card, and when I asked for a hotel lodging receipt upon checkout for my business expense account, they said they had no way of issuing such, and that I would have to get one from Expedia. Now, I have no actual hotel receipt for my expense account, which complicates things quite a bit. I explained this to them...but still no receipt! Next time in Cusco..I'll stay elsewhere, as there are many, many other options.

Room Tip: DON'T get an interior room if you want to sleep past 5 am!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Our room was on the 2nd floor and overlooked a narrow courtyard with other hotel rooms directly across from us so no privacy. The courtyard was used by hotel cleaning staff so it was noisy also. Good breakfast buffet. Liked the location of the hotel for ease of walking to the center of town. Stayed 2 nights as part of our Gate 1 travel program. 3 beds in the room even tho it was just 2 of us.

Room Tip: avoid courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Definitely not worthy of a 4star rating.The only things going for this hotel are the location and the breakfast. The rooms were dark and dismal, although clean. When we returned after visiting Machu Picchu we thought we had been allocated a store room ,in error, it was so gloomy. We were allowed to leave our luggage in store, free of charge, while visiting Machu Picchu and did not really find security an issue. Breakfast was also good and although the restaurant is quite small as breakfast is served from 4.00am -10.30am, it was not overcrowded. However, we did find the attitude of the Receptionists less than customer orientated. Having enjoyed excellent customer service, in Lima, we felt that these girls were not interested in the hotel guests and were verging on condescending. One afternoon we returned to the hotel to find that the only lift was out of order. The Receptionists did not know when it would be fixed, were unapologetic and not the least interested that my husband, despite being a very fit 80 years old, would have to walk up 4 flights of stairs to our room. The hotel was the only thing we didn't enjoy about Cusco

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BettyStevens
Reviewed October 13, 2011

. . .don't give your laundry to hotel employees. They are not responsible.

Early Wednesday morning I set my laundry out in the bag provided and was told that it would be back at reception/check-in by 4 pm that same day. When I went to pick up the laundry, the receptionist said that it hadn't gone out yet and it wouldn't be back until Thursday 4-5 pm. Well, I was leaving Thursday morning at 8:30 AM. I'm sure glad I was able to retrieve my laundry even though still dirty.

Since the hotel doesn't do the laundry on premises, they have no control, so it is better to choose one of the laundries on Avenida El Sol which only takes a couple of hours.

What really bothered me was that they didn't even bother to check with me to see if I needed the laundry on Wednesday and just assumed I could pick them up on Thursday afternoon, by which time I was long gone.

Oh, yes. One other slight problem. Rosie and Libby didn't have hot water in the shower one evening but they did by the next morning.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends