“BE CAUTIOUS OF EXCHANGING MONEY AT HOTEL”

Hotel Costa Del Sol Ramada Cusco
Ranked #29 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Other that what I will explain, the hotel has a great location, good breakfast and great staff. My first room was rather small but on my second stay, I got a larger room.

One morning i exchanged a $50 USD bill for soles. Upon my return to the hotel in the evening, I was advised that the $50 USD bill I had given was counterfeit. I was embarrased and immediatly gave them another $50 in exchane for the counterfeit bill.

Upon return to the United States, I did research on counterfeit money, specifically $50 bills. I learned that Peru is one of the highest producers of counterfeit $50 bills. My bank assured me that it was impossible for me to have received a counterfeit bill from the ATM as they have the means to reject the bills before dispensing to its customers.

I cannot say that the exchange of the real bill for the counterfeit one was done at the hotel or at the money exchange to which the hotel says rejected the money. The money was not checked with a pen as they do here in the US in front of you to verify the bilss authenticity.

I do however feel based on the information received here in the USA, that I was scammed. An expensive lesson...just be cautious and maybe write down the serial numbers before exchanging the cash.

Room Tip: Request a larger room...sooms rooms are quite small
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The grounds are gorgeous, the room was perfect and the staff amazing. This is an authentic old colonial mansion, expertly restored. More importantly, all you need to to is walk out your door and you are in Cusco. Which is a great thing, because Cusco is magical. Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If you keep in mind, Cusco is a very old city and streets as well as buildings are crammed together, you will see the charm of this hotel. Fronted by a rock facade, you walk in and find a pretty courtyard and lobby. Rooms are clean although a little old and small but this you would expect from such an old place, staff are nice and friendly. Food in the hotel was very good and prices are not too bad. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone going to Cusco. Location is also very convenient for sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We chose this hotel from a recommendation by my sister-in-law who stayed here a couple of years previously. We were not disappointed.
The location within Cusco was perfect and we felt very welcome there by all the staff.
We were in the old part of the hotel and although the room was a little tired, it was comfortable. Would have been nice to have a bigger bathroom though. This was also true of the second room we stayed in(after our trip to Machu Picchu).
Breakfast was pretty good although not outstanding. We had a very early start one day and we were able to take a quick breakfast before service officially started, which was great.
Didn't eat in the restaurant, one of the reasons being that the lighting wasn't very welcoming although the menu looked good.
We like to stay in hotels with character and this certainly fit the bill. I would stay here again if I came back to Cusco.

Room Tip: We found that the room we had in the older section of the hotel was much quieter that in the new par...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ju-ju60
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our party of 2 families with 4 kids recently spent 2 nights at this hotel after visiting Machu Picchu. We had two family suites in the old part of the hotel. The hotel is very close to the central square and very conveniently located to restaurants around town. The old colonial part of the hotel is very quant and has a lot of character. The family suites were large with two rooms located inside one. The bathroom also had a jacuzzi. The kids enjoyed exploring the hotel and hanging around the central courtyard. There was an Andean craftswoman who sold crafts in the courtyard and kids loved watching her and playing with the little lamb she had with her.
The breakfast bar was pretty basic for a hotel this size, but adequate. They had eggs to order, the juices were not fresh, some fruit and cereal. Overall this was a good hotel and we were glad to have spent our two days in Cuzco here.

Room Tip: Try to snag a room in the old colonial section overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2013

First of all I want to say a big thank you to the staff on the reception desk who have been very helpful after my stay at the hotel; I asked them to send my insurance company confirmation that I reported an item I lost to them and they did so quickly and efficiently. I think this is a lovely hotel, the location is perfect as it is close to places of interest, interesting shops and decent restaurants. The older section of the hotel is beautiful and the room we had at the front of the hotel, with a balcony overlooking the street was full of character. We also stayed in a newer room in the more modern part of the hotel and found that to be very comfortable. It is just lovely and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you like old world charm and character ask for a room in the older part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spent two nights at the Hotel Costa del Sol prior to the Machu Picchu leg of our Peru trip and then again for one last night upon our return. The hotel is centrally located in Cusco and a lovely walk to restaurants and around town. Service in reception was excellent - quick check in and we were served coca tea upon arrival to help with the altitude and warm up. The stone courtyard and decoration in the lounge areas of the hotel stay true to the culture of Cusco as the hotel is a restored, colonial home. The only negative I would say here is it was quite chilly in the mornings and evenings. The hotel had heat on and a fire going in the evenings but I had to wear my coat to sit down there at any other time of day...I assume it stays pretty cold because the building is so old and made of stone.

Our room (409) was very spacious and had an updated bathroom. The temperature in the room was a little tricky but there was a heater that worked. The others we were traveling with had smaller, standard rooms. Everything was clean. I observed that the hallways were a little worn and there was construction work being done on the first couple days of our stay on our floor but it did not disturb us.

The buffet breakfast was included in our rate and a great start to the morning. I think that the Ramada is an excellent choice for Cusco at this price point. Great staff and met our needs perfectly for siteseeting around Cusco, Sacred Valley, and our starting point to get to Machu Picchu.

Room Tip: Room 409 - spacious and nice remodeled bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family