“Gorgeous”

Ranked #5 of 163 Hotels in Cusco
Geneva
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed with my family at the Monasterio during 3 days. I have to say that this hotel is absolutely gorgeous. You cannot see that often a property with so much character. The service is maybe not the best I’ve ever seen but staff was so kind that it is definitely easy to forget small mistakes. Rooms are gorgeous ask for a room with a view on Cusco (it's worth it). Food is good; the live opera diner is pretty amazing :).
The Oxygen is the room is a great luxury due to the altitude of Cusco.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to other travellers.

Room Tip: ask for room 434 (nice view)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Hotel Monasterio is so peaceful and accommodating to its guests. It is incredibly tranquil and steeped in history. I felt like I was lodging in a true museum! The artworks in the room seem like antiquities, but they are actually created by local artisans and are available for purchase in local marketplaces . However, the rest of the hotel including the on-site chapel, have authentic medieval artworks with Mestizo influence. This hotel is a must for art lovers, travelers who enjoy the finer things: arts, food and quiet leisure. The food in the restaurants is supremely exceptional and there is always some sort of a music performance through out the day. We had an excellent guitarist play in the mornings while my husband and I dined in the gorgeous courtyard. At night there were opera singers serenading the guests at their tables...professional singers famous to their region! It was incredibly romantic! A great place for couples who want to explore Cuzco in style!

Room Tip: There are descriptions of rooms to fit your needs online. We chose the oxygenated rooms to combat a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was absolutely swept off my feet by this hotel, both because of its beauty and the service we received there. Unfortunately, I became very sick from the altitude, but the staff was extremely sympathetic and sent oxygen and tea whenever requested. The housekeeping staff was discreet but incredibly thorough (they even hung up a sweater I'd left in a chair!), and the waitstaff was also top-notch. Overall, the vibe of the place is serene - fitting for a former monastery. And it served the best ceviche I had during my entire two-week stay in South America. I would definitely recommend this hotel to even my most snobby friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's a five star hotel and I guess I expected perfection especailly after seeing so much about this hotel on television and in travel magazines. What I got was less than perfect, but not terribly bad, mind you. The location of the hotel in Cusco is great. This was a hotel that was included in our tour to Peru/Bolivia. The hotel itself is unique and beautiful, The courtyard is wonderful.

The included breakfast was the worst of any of the six hotels on our tour. The wait staff was not particularly friendly or helpful. We asked if we could be seated in the courtyard and were told that it was not possible, yet within five minutes they were seating people in the courtyard. Supposedly had eggs to order, but never had any waitstaff approach the table to see if we wanted to order anything. The "scrambled" eggs on the buffet looked like soup. I opted for the European style breakfast of meats and cheeses both mornings.

Our room was plenty large enough. However, the a/c did not work. Thank goodness we had a window we could open. The bathroom was very small and not well layed out. The toilet paper holder was so close to the toilet, I kept bumping my elbow on it. There was no place to put our toiletries. In fact when the staff cleaned the room, they just closed the lid on the toilet and placed my husband's toiletry bag on it. I thought that a bit strange. And the last thing I expected at a five star hotel was mold in the bathtub.

We did eat dinner in the dining room our first night. I thought the prices were high, but the food was very good. The singers added a nice touch to our dining experience.

As I said, the hotel did not meet my expections, which may have been my own fault. If I ever go back to Cusco, I will probably try another of the many hotels that are located in this charming city.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room with an outside window in case the a/c is not working.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tasmania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a very, very expensive hotel with lots of pretensions, so you have a right to expect first class service. The building is beautiful, but it relies on the name and unusual setting and will always have guests, but their attitude stinks. In the main the staff were rude, arrogant, insulting and appeared to be very high and mighty as if they owned the hotel themselves.

We are a family with a 9 year old daughter, we stayed at this hotel for two nights in September 2012. We arrived at the hotel about 7.45pm, exhausted having just arrived in Cusco by the Vistadome train from Machu Picchu. We found the 15 minute wait for checkin was far too long. We where shown to our room #124 by the concierge who explained everything about the hotel and room. The room was very nice, well appointed quite spacious and contained the extra single bed for our daughter.

At the suggestion of the concierge we made a reservation in the El Tupay restaurant for a table for 3 people for dinner at 8.30pm. On arriving at the restaurant I was rudely asked by a female staff member “do you have a reservation, NO greetings of any form, in fact she completely ignored my wife and daughter, I informed her that we had a reservation for 3 people and gave her my name. The restaurant was less than a quarter full, yet she showed us to a table SET FOR TWO people, at the very end on the long narrow restaurant well away from the other tables of guests. She then handed us menus and very arrogantly asked me “Do you want drinks, water or something”. We were left alone for 15 minutes, the staff acted if we were invisible, until a waiter appeared to request our order. I then indicated to him we were still waiting for the table to be set for three people, I also asked him for a child menu only to be informed that there wasn’t one. Having felt that we had been insulted enough we walked out of this restaurant, after that we only had breakfast in this hotel which was prepaid with our room reservation. My guess is that this very rude and insulting service resulted from the fact that the pompous and pretentious staff felt that my wife and daughter were not dressed appropriately for their “up market” restaurant. We were all exhausted and hungry when we arrived in the hotel and didn’t bother to change out of our travel clothes, my wife and daughter were also feeling cold so they were still wearing their puffy travel jackets, either, that this is the normal behaviour for the wait staff in this restaurant and this may account for the very limited number of guests present there.

Our first night experience only got worse as our room backed onto a very noisy small street, we had to put up with the noise of cars and trucks all night resulting in very disturbed sleep. Our tour company guide complained on our behalf the next morning resulting in we were given an upgrade to another room. This room on the 4th floor was very small with an extremely small bathroom yet had a large upstairs sitting area with a single bed for our daughter.

The other surprise was returning to our room after breakfast at 8.30am on the first morning , to find we were locked out of our room by the house keeping staff who were making up the room. We found this very unusual as it has always been our practice to put the sign on the outside door knob when we required the room made up. Also having been involved with hotel management in the past it was always good practice, where possible to make up the rooms of those guests checking out that day first in order to have them ready for new gusts checking in.

After checking out and returning home to Australia, I discovered that I had left my computer laptop power supply/charger in our guest room. I emailed the hotel advising this and asking for arrangements for this to be sent onto me. It took a week and many follow up emails for the guest relations officer to even reply. He informed that NO laptop power cord supply/charger had been found in our room. I emailed again stating that this was strange and exactly where the charger was plugged in the room. They didn’t even have the commom curtesy to reply. To say it was not found in the room is being very dishonest, cause I know where I left it and to take one week to reply to my initial email is being very arrogant.

We stayed in the Orient Express operated Miraflores Park Plaza Hotel in Lima and found this Hotel excellent, whist of modern décor the management and staff were far superior to that of the Monestario Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somwhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tasmanian_Peccadillo
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Mr. Elliott,

We sincerely appreciate your comments, it will help us improve our service in the near future.
I really apologize for all inconveniences you and your family had during your stay at Hotel Monasterio.

After the first night of noise complaint, our Guest Relations talked to you and organized an Upgrade to a
Triple Junior Suite, for you and your Family. I am really sorry the room was not of your total satisfaction,
But this was never told to us, while you were staying at the Hotel.

According to your Dinner reservation, please be rest assured that the people involved had been taking care of and my leadership team and I have discussed this problem and will assure greater reliability to prevent further such incidents.

After checking all Lost & Found & Security reports, no charger has been founded, either in any of your rooms or public areas, during the dates you were staying at the Hotel.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future to our Hotel.
It will be our privilege and pleasure to do so and be able to restore your confidence in our service.

Gustavo de Leon
Hotel Monasterio
Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Monasterio for two nights at the end of a fabulous trip to Peru. The Hotel lived up to our expectations - excellent but discreet service, wonderful cuisine, we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Hotel and spacious rooms with all modern amenities.

We arrived late on a Saturday night and were both suffering with travellers sickness after having visited Machu Picchu the previous two days. The following day we requested a doctor who came within 20 minutes and because we were unable to go out of the hotel to buy our own medicine, the Concierge kindly offered to go out and buy it for us!

The soft chanting of monks was heard everywhere you went within the Hotel and the beautiful pieces of art all added to the historical charm of this amazing place. If I were to return, there is no better address in Cusco!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room which was just perfect in size, a large bedroom with king bed and upstairs was...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

This was a wonderful and luxurious way to end our honeymoon in Peru.
The concierge at this hotel went above and beyond the levels of service one would expect at a five star hotel to ensure we had an awesome time. ( think his name was Jose!)
Breakfast was sensational, what a way to start the day and the whole aura of this hotel is fabulous.
We loved it and would love to return, or try the new property that Orient Express have just opened in the adjoining building that once was a convent, it has a pool and spa..
Monasterio comes very highly recommended!!

Stayed November 2012