“Great Experience!”

Belmond Hotel Monasterio
Ranked #4 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'll start off by saying I wasn't in favor of staying at the Monasterio during our visit to Cusco. I thought we could find a nice hotel that wouldn't be as expensive. But my wife really wanted to stay at the Monasterio, so I gave in and we stayed there for five nights during our recent visit.

I will freely admit that I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It is a beautiful hotel with an interesting history. The service was impeccable, the staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. I was very impressed with them. The check in process was the smoothest I've ever experienced. After we arrived we were seated in the lobby, given coca tea and they took care of the check in. We went to have breakfast and when we returned our bags were in our room. I discovered that I like being spoiled like that.

I will also mention that we thought the location of the hotel was perfect, just a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas and many other sites in Cusco. We ate breakfast in the hotel every morning and we both thought the buffet was great. We didn't get a chance to eat dinner in the restaurant, but they had a nice menu. There are several good restaurants within a block of the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel, it was a real pleasure staying there.

Room Tip: The rooms with oxygen are a bit on the small side, but considering it would be prohibitive to pump o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MGG56
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your contribution, it will certainly help other guests coming to Cusco!

All the best,

Gustavo de Leon

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was at the Hotel Monasterio last October and surely it was an investment of good memories. I arrived late night from Machu Picchu and the service was just an excellent as soon as you entered the door.

The concierge directed us to the waiting room and offered us some coca de mate. Though it was late at night, they still have some time to show us around the hotel.

The room was just big, if you are not acclimated with high elevation, the room will just make you feel more comfortable because there's good oxygen supply. Toiletries, well like Four Seasons hotel, they offer you L'occitane soap and shampoo, just a bit bigger.

They have a chapel within the hotel and there is no issues on taking pictures. Breakfast was just excellent and I think this is where the best breakfast I had in Peru, overlooking the courtyard!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed in this wonderful hotel for two nights before moving onto the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. But if we had known better, we would have chosen to stay for 4 nights here. There were enough time for us to explore the city of Cusco within the 2 days time which we had, but it would have been ideal if we had more time to stay and enjoy just the hotel itself. The hotel has a perfect location which is close to the center of Cusco yet it feels so tranquil, it has this most beautiful courtyard and very elegant classic decoration. The hotel staff were all so friendly and efficient that their service felt very personal to us. Upon arrival, we were met with fresh coca tea and refreshing towel and were reminded of the oxygen supply in the room (we didn't have to use them but I imagine it would mean big difference for some travelers). The buffet breakfast is one of the best among the places we have stayed, so many varieties of food it is impossible to try everything (which is partly why we should have stayed for 4 nights!) Above all, the experience of staying at this hotel felt such an integral part of our visit to Peru, it did feel almost spiritual (as one of the reviewer already mentioned).

Room Tip: We had a Deluxe Room which was more than sufficient for our purposes. It looks into the beautiful c...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed with husband and 2 sons, absolutely loved every minute. Excellent service, excellent food and room service, beautiful rooms.
The O2 supplied to the room was such a relive.I loved the hotel and did not expect it to be so extraordinary.
We traveled on board the Hiram Bingham Train to Machu Picchu, what can I say but excellent and worth every penny.
Our bags were kept in the hotel while we left and stayed in the Sanctuary Lodge (absolutely marvelous, we entered the Sanctuary at about 06:00AM long before all the buses arrived from Aguas Calientes, it was like as if I was dreaming). My children adored both Cuzco, Machu Picchu and Peru as a hole. If you stay in Cuzco and appreciate personalized service that prizes in excellence then the Hotel Monasterio is the one.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I believe this is the finest, dreamiest place to stay in Cuzco. It was an event never to be forgotten, just like nearby Machu Picchu. My Sister and I were here the nights of January 26th and 27th, 2012 and we felt pampered and cared for. The Monasterio is centrally located to wonderful shopping and close to many Cuzco points of interest. I took numerous pictures of this elegant hotel because it felt like a destination, a pivotal location of ancient mystery. Also, every need was thoughtfully considered and I will explain some of these here. < We were greeted with utmost courtesy upon exiting our taxi at the front entry by finely dressed gentlemen, and shown the coco tea to drink for elevation dizziness in the lobby and then taken to the check-in desk. Then after being escorted to our room we found a delicately arrayed tray of local goodies and fruits. The bathrooms are tiled with matching pottery accessories and fresh flowers are at the sink. The toilet paper is folded with a hotel seal and the finest L'Occtiane soaps, lotions, lip balm and shampoo are there to use. It is spotlessly clean! Fine stationary and pens are at a beautiful carved writing table that looks out over the courtyard. The beds are extraordinary and one feels like she is on a cloud when going to sleep. It is so quiet you can hear a pin drop! There is genuine art on the walls and tables, The stairs are of ancient stone and the oldest, largest cedar tree is lit at night in the main courtyard. The morning buffet is extraordinary with so much variety you can hardly take it all in visually, let alone try everything whilst a well dressed guitarist plays classical Spanish music. Every kindness is given to grant happiness and comfort. All wait staff is finely dressed in nearly formal attire, courteous, helpful and almost every one speaks English to some degree. People from all over the world stay here and we met many. Flowers are everywhere in vases and in gardens. The main lobby of the hotel is beyond description and at night you can sit in luxurious chairs in the bar area sipping Pisco Sours to your hearts content.(only one or two because Pisco Sours are strong!) A person just has to experience it all to believe it. There is a certain feel to this place that I can only explain as spiritual. Interesting things happen here, out of the blue, just like you are guided or there is a purpose to it all.
We received extra effort and consideration when our reserved and paid for taxi did not arrive to take us to the airport the departing morning. The staff graciously got us there and we were escorted to the plane as if we were royalty by the Monasterio staff working at the airport! This could have been a very bad situation for us but it turned into a happy ending. I am so grateful for this entire wonderful experience at Hotel Monasterio and will not forget it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne A
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from a dream trip to Cusco- this Hotel is unbeliveable! It's beautiful, and the service is uncomparable! They will assist you with everything , room service, food, tea at night, the courtyard- I can't say enough excellent things--Thank you again!

Room Tip: I don't think it had a pool, but even if it did- I would never have left the beautiful courtyard...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This would me my number 1 option in Cuzco. Nothing compares to the feeling of staying at a 16th century monastery - it's just magical! Dream scenario, specially during the morning, having breakfast outside to the sound of live Spanish guitar, and at night, when the lights create an impressive atmosphere.
Service is impeccable and staff is beyond friendly. Rooms are not big (don't forget it's an old monastery) but very comfortable, great bed and linens and nice storage space. Same thing for the bathroom.
I had the opportunity to visit Palacio Nazarenas, Orient Express' new property next door. It's very beautiful, offers more amenities (SPA, pool), has newer rooms, but lacks a lot in character. I'd still go with Monasterio!

Room Tip: Do not go for the standard rooms, deluxe ones do not cost much more and are worth the little extra.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your opinion with us and the lovely description you have made of the hotel.

We will be happy to have you with us again.

Gustavo de Leon