“Beautiful views”

PeruRail - Vistadome
Ranked #99 of 1,016 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: The Vistadome connects you with the beautiful andean landscape through a totally panoramic view on the route to Machu Picchu. It highlights the andean culture in diverse forms such as music, gastronomy, folk dancing, history and even scents.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The vista dome is a nice way to travel to Machu Picchu, a step up from the expedition with better service and snacks, and roomier seating. It was odd that the automatic ticketing system seemed to consistently separate couples when assigning seats so everyone was trying to switch on both our rides.

PeruRail, Community Manager at PeruRail - Vistadome, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Mrs. Karen L,
Thank you for traveling with us aboard the Vistadome train and for taking the time to share your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. We would like to inform you that we are improving our online booking system to avoid this kind of issues with the seats. We appreciate your patience and understanding. We hope to see you soon aboard our trains.
The Vistadome Team

Write a ReviewReviews (6,348)
All reviews
in 57 reviews
"train service"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The service provided by Peru Rail is very good and the dance and fashion show on the return trip was fun.

Dear Mrs. Isabel N,
We would like to special thank you for traveling aboard the Vistadome train and for sharing your comments with the Trip Advisor community and us. We hope to see you again for a new wonderful experience with PeruRail.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Vistadome rail trip was a wonderful trip from Poroy station (20-ish minutes outside of Cusco) to Aguas Calientes. The seats are comfortable, the windows are huge, the staff are wonderful. The service is great, they come around with snacks, drinks, and even put on a fashion show rather than just walking up and down the aisle offering to sell beautiful alpaca clothes. Granted they are expensive, but it's a fun distraction. The views are really great from the cabins, you go through mountains, valleys, past streams, woods. In addition to huge windows on the side of the car, they also have windows on top so you can get some really nice views. The staff went out of their way to help us. All in all, highly recommended way to get to Machu Picchu.

Dear Mr. / Mrs. An0nymuse1983,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Trip Advisor community and we are glad to hear that you spent a wonderful time aboard the Vistadome train. We hope to see you, one more time, aboard our trains for an exciting and memorable adventure.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Yes ok, I am in full agreement with other posters here that this train is spotless and newish, the service polite and the food OK (but yes, also unexpected). However, this is a long 3.5 hour trip. If you're in a group or you're a gregarious extrovert that might sound like heaven, but seating that arranges two people facing two others can pit you against some people you'd ordinarily never spend such time with. I was lucky enough to have an older English gentleman opposite me who kicked me under the shared table numerous times shortly after we left Poroy. I assumed it was by accident but when I returned from the toilet I found he'd moved my backpack (very small and tucked under my seat) and was slouched in his seat with his legs stretched under mine. He reluctantly moved them as I sat down and told me to please put my pack on my lap. I asked why as I couldn't see how it bothered him and he said it did as he wanted to stretch his legs out. Now I won't go on but he tried the whole trip to get his legs under our seat any way he could. I'm 5'10" and I could easily fit in my allotted seat with my feet not encroaching on anyone but I agree it was tight. So my advice is try to book the very rare two seats facing the backs of the seats in front if you can. There are only four per cabin and we negotiated a swap in the return leg for seats 39/40. Gold. Secondly the ceiling windows let in a lot of sun and the air con can be slow to respond. Window seaters will be hot. Finally the scenery is boring. It's farms and modified landscapes until you're about 30 minutes from MP Pueblo so don't get too excited about great views. Take a book. Any rail trip in Japan offers more at a cheaper price. Of course my attitude us coloured by the fact that our train hit a bus at an unsecured level crossing and we had a 2 hour delay making it a 5.5 hour trip. On our return it rained and my window leaked all over my seat and everyone's windows were fogged up. Again, great vistas!! When you include the unbearable 'fashion show' and accompanying nightclub music this is hardly a trip I'd advocate to anyone, but you have to get to Machu Picchu somehow.

PeruRail, Community Manager at PeruRail - Vistadome, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. bckpckrau,
We apologize for all the inconvenience you had in your journey and we are sorry we did not exceed your travel expectations. However, we would like to thank you for choosing PeruRail as your travel option on this occasion and for sharing your feedback with our Trip Advisor community. We are always at your service.